URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Including yourself, how many people from your family do you think are likely to enroll?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

2%
68%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 119

GoldenGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Post by GoldenGirl »

I am interested in participating. I’m e4/e4, 48 yrs old. Thanks!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I am interested in participating. I'm an e4/e4, 83 years old.
Starfish77
dancingbluefish
New User
New User

Post by dancingbluefish »

Hi Everyone,
I'm Melissa. This is my first post. I found out I'm APO4/3 carrier from 23&me about 2 years ago. I've read about 20 nutrition books over the last few years. I recently read An End to Alzheimer's by Dr. Dale Bredesen. His book referred to this forum and here I am. Nutrition/Health was not a previous passion of mine, but it is now. I've tried to take note of nutrition suggestions, but they don't always agree. Then, I try those recommendations and notice how my body reacts. I'm my own guinea pig.

I've moved toward eating mostly a plant-based diet with seafood. It's been a huge lifestyle change. Recently, I started removing added sugars and gluten. It's easy to avoid added sugars at home but much harder at work. After reading some posts, I can't help but wonder if I'll need to eat meat again. I'd rather not. Is there a way to reach ketosis and not eat meat? Ideas? Did I mention that I love beans!
And..I am also interested in the study. Thanks.
Sara Mushel, MS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sara Mushel, MS »

I've moved toward eating mostly a plant-based diet with seafood. It's been a huge lifestyle change. Recently, I started removing added sugars and gluten. It's easy to avoid added sugars at home but much harder at work. After reading some posts, I can't help but wonder if I'll need to eat meat again. I'd rather not. Is there a way to reach ketosis and not eat meat? Ideas? Did I mention that I love beans!
And..I am also interested in the study. Thanks.
Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for sharing your story with us. You've found the right place - a welcoming, knowledgable community who understand what you're going through!

I admire your perseverance and willingness to dive right into the recommended lifestyle changes. As you've read in Dr. Bredesen's book, that "holes in the roof" concept really comes into play here - you've already started plugging many 'holes' in your roof, and there's always room to optimize. The conversation about eating more or less meat is interesting. There was a recent episode on Dr. Mark Hyman's Farmacy podcast about the validity of a keto-vegan diet. It was a good discussion that you might be interested in looking into. One quick note, beans aren't completely bad. In fact, they are important for supporting a healthy gut microbiome in small amounts if you can tolerate them.

If you haven't found these already, the Welcome, Primer, and Wiki pages are a great place to start with as you explore the forum.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask any questions. You can also use the magnifying glass at the top of the menu bar on the right to explore specific thread topics.

Thanks,

Sara
Marinochka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Marinochka »

I am interested in participating too. I am e4/4, 53 years old. My husband can join too. He is e3/4, 56 years old.
MargaretE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MargaretE »

I am interested in participating. I'm E4/4, 74 years old.
Trevor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Trevor »

I'm a 4/4 that'd be interested in participating if I'm not too young (35) or Canadian.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

GoldenGirl wrote:I am interested in participating. I’m e4/e4, 48 yrs old. Thanks!
Trevor wrote:I'm a 4/4 that'd be interested in participating if I'm not too young (35) or Canadian.
MargaretE wrote:I am interested in participating. I'm E4/4, 74 years old.
Marinochka wrote:I am interested in participating too. I am e4/4, 53 years old. My husband can join too. He is e3/4, 56 years old.
dancingbluefish wrote: I found out I'm APO4/3 carrier from 23&me about 2 years ago...I am also interested in the study. Thanks.
Hello to all of you!

As a Senior Support Team member, and someone with ApoE 4/4 who has participated in a clinical trial for Alzheimer's prevention (the Generations trial), I want to applaud all of you for your interest in this study opportunity. At this point, the study has not been started; the post was an introductory effort to gauge interest.

Here's a great explanation of Biomarkers, which this Topics mentions, by our Primer author and Doctor, Stavia: Primer: Biomarkers. For a deeper dive and more detail on each biomarker, see this Wiki: Biomarkers

Most of these tests can be ordered by your doctor or by you online--less so in Canada, Trevor. Here's a link to that topic in our Wiki: Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options

For clinical trials that might measure biomarkers or use interventions to see how biomarkers change, you can use several resources:

The All of Us Research Program is sponsored by the National Institute of Health: All of Us and is
inviting one million people across the U.S. to help build one of the most diverse health databases in history. We welcome participants from all backgrounds. Researchers will use the data to learn how our biology, lifestyle, and environment affect health. This could help them develop better treatments and ways to prevent different diseases.
The Alzheimer's Association spends millions each year to support research on prevention and treatment of AD, and has a Trial Match of studies that include non-drug trials. You can read more here:
Trial Match

The Alzheimer's Clinical Trial Consortium (ACTC) is a network of dozens of academic research centers collaborating to accelerate research, with funding from the National Institute on Aging (NIA/NIH). They have an online web study called APT Webstudy for people who are 50 years or older. APT Webstudy Welcome You do not have to have ApoE 4 and are under no obligation to participate in future clinical trials. Some people may be invited to a regional center for screening to determine if they might be eligible for a clinical trial. (Full disclosure: I am on the Research Participant Advisory Board for the ACTC, although I am not in any ACTC-sponsored clinical trial.)

To search for clinical trials (large and small) by your region, try the advanced search function on the NIH Clinical Trials website. Each trial has detailed information about its purpose, the criteria to join and contacts for study sites. Clinical Trials.gov

Enjoy learning more about biomarkers and clinical trials--and ask questions any time!
4/4 and still an optimist!
vbrogdon
New User
New User

Post by vbrogdon »

I have one copy of APOE4 according to 23&Me. If that counts, count me in.
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

Hello vbrogdan and welcome to the ApoE4 forum. Thank you for indicating your interest in the biomarker study. In terms of that study, Nancy is a senior support person here on the forum and, more importantly, is a wealth of information. She has responded with this post to those who have indicated their interest in this study.
In case you haven't explored the site too much, I wanted to direct you to some resources that are helpful. You may appreciate taking a look at the primer as it is a great place to start and written by a physician in laymen's terms. There is also a "How-To" Guide that makes your journey around the site much more efficient. You may be interested in checking out the "Our Stories" forum to share your own story and learn about fellow members. Finally, I've found the search function to be an awesome way to research questions you may have as most likely, someone has asked the question before and there are several threads of information regarding that topic.
Again, welcome to the community. Please don't hesitate to tell us a little about yourself in the "Our Stories" and continue commenting on posts! We love active members!
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach