Intermittent Fasting

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Inga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Inga »

Hi there. Thankyou. Yes it is one of the things I'm wondering. Nut flour, body Ph chemistry change. It's mysterious. Wondering if there are others experiencing this on Keto. Thankyou, Inga
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Inga wrote:Yes it is one of the things I'm wondering. Nut flour
If you are using just one type, I'd drop it and see if your symptoms improve. If you are using more than one type of nut flour, you might consider stopping them all for a week, then adding them back in one at a time every four days to see if any specific one is bothering you.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

What do you make of Valter Longo's statements that one should not fast beyond 12 hours every day? The quote below is from an interview published on Medium (admittedly not an authorative source, but I assume Longo states this in his book and research too.)

So if you are fasting for 16 or more hours each day (for example following the 16/8 Intermittent Fasting method), you should reconsider your approach. “If people fast too often they seem to live shorter, says Dr. Longo. “Fast too often meaning they do 16, 18 hours every day of fasting.” This approach is especially problematic if you are skipping breakfast, which has become a popular trend among intermittent fasters. “People that skip breakfast live shorter,” Dr. Longo told me emphatically. He says this finding is surprising to many people in the longevity field, but study after study proves it out.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

PBW wrote:I recently purchased" info red light therapy " light and have been using it for 15 minutes every night before sleeping. .
I'm also interested in learning which light you purchased.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Hi Debbie,
My next-door neighbor has 4 Joovv panels. I have red therapy 360 and I gave my son the 720. sam going to add the 720 so I can do the entire length of my body, rather than just focusing my head. Our neighborhood is getting the nickname of the redlight district because I have several neighbors in addition to me that are using infra red light .The Red Light Company 's product is wider than the Joovv panels and quite bit ore reasonable. My neighbor likes the Joovv and probably has done more research that I have.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thanks for the info, Plumster. I will read Dr Longo'sthoughts on the subject.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Hi Chris I am purchasing the Red Light Company 360 and 720. They are a little wider than Joovv and the price is significantly lower.
Aldarita
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aldarita »

For all the members doing IF, I have a question (I'm new here) Dr. Fung recommends to do different types of fasting to avoid homeostasis. I mostly do 18/6 every day with a break every now and then. I am thinking about making a combination and would like to know what your experience is. For example I just finished a 30 hour fast today and I am thinking about starting an 18/6 then move to a different one. I guess what I am wondering is how does one keep from achieving homeostasis?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Aldarita wrote:For all the members doing IF, I have a question (I'm new here) Dr. Fung recommends to do different types of fasting to avoid homeostasis. I mostly do 18/6 every day with a break every now and then. I am thinking about making a combination and would like to know what your experience is. For example I just finished a 30 hour fast today and I am thinking about starting an 18/6 then move to a different one. I guess what I am wondering is how does one keep from achieving homeostasis?
I personally don't worry much. I've been keto adapted since Oct 2009, though many days now eat a much higher carb diet than many talk about for keto (say 150-200g/day), at least on some days. I've generally eaten in a 2 hour window for nearly 5 years. However I do have periodic extended fasts. For example I finished a 6 day water fast a week ago and I did 19 five days out of every 14 day fasts in 2017 (I also remained weight stable from the beginning of one fasting cycle to the next). Even eating 200 g of carbs, I will typically test 0.7-0.8 mmol/L on a morning serum ketone test. Also, when I do an extended fast, I never have to readapt. My blood sugar just drops and ketones increase.

The last 4 days, I decided to eat breakfast, something I almost never do. I also ate before exercise, again, I almost am always at least 18 hours fasted before working out or exercising all day (like skiing or rock climbing).

I'm 64 and male for whatever that is worth.
Tincup
E3,E4
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

Aldarita wrote:I have a question (I'm new here) ... I guess what I am wondering is how does one keep from achieving homeostasis?
Hello Aldarita and welcome to the ApoE4 forum. You’ve asked a good question…one for which I don’t have an answer. I do the 16/8 fast every day and never thought about homeostasis. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.
In case you haven't explored the site too much, I wanted to direct you to some resources that are helpful. You may appreciate taking a look at the primer as it is a great place to start and written by a physician in laymen's terms. There is also a "How-To" Guide that makes your journey around the site much more efficient. You may be interested in checking out the "Our Stories" forum to share your own story and learn about fellow members. Finally, I've found the search function to be an awesome way to research questions you may have as most likely, someone has asked the question before and there are several threads of information regarding that topic.
Again, welcome to the community. Please don't hesitate to tell us a little about yourself in the "Our Stories" and continue commenting on posts! We love active members!
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach