Contract [supplement] manufacturer recalls products under more than 1,200 brand names

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Contract [supplement] manufacturer recalls products under more than 1,200 brand names

Post by BrianR »

https://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Ar ... =copyright

FDA recall notice: https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-mark ... l-all-lots

The FDA's list of manufacturers who used/resold the recalled supplements: https://www.fda.gov/media/134454/download (I'll attach a PDF of the FDA spreadsheet)
FDA company List for Abh press release.xlsx.pdf
Companies are also listed on this reddit discussion page, perhaps that will be easier to search: https://www.reddit.com/r/Supplements/co ... da_recall/

I skimmed the company list and didn't see any brands that I've knowingly used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Contract [supplement] manufacturer recalls products under more than 1,200 brand names

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks for sharing.

I seem to recall some discussions about Elysium Health's Basis supplement. Folks will definitely want to look at this list for supplements they take.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Contract [supplement] manufacturer recalls products under more than 1,200 brand names

Post by slacker »

This incredibly long list of companys with products recalled is another wake up call to consumers. Buyer beware. Consumer Labs doesn't test every product on the market, but is a good place to start to determine which products contain what they should without contaminants.
Slacker
E4/E4
sandyt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sandyt »

Does anyone know how to find out which specific products from these companies that have been recalled? I called one of the companies on the list and they claim to know nothing about it and insist that they have no current recalls.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

sandyt wrote:Does anyone know how to find out which specific products from these companies that have been recalled? I called one of the companies on the list and they claim to know nothing about it and insist that they have no current recalls.
Hi sandyt,

The FDA list provided by Brian does not show which products, presumably because they sold an enormous variety of products labeled differently for each company, from 2013-2019. But the recall, which is technically done by the companies the FDA is citing, does list this:
The COMPANIES are notifying its distributors and customers via email and is arranging for return of all recalled products. Wholesalers and distributors (direct customers of the COMPANIES) that have any dietary supplement products manufactured or packaged at the Edgewood, NY facility being recalled should contact a representative of the COMPANIES for instructions with regard to returning any remaining stock.

Distributors or Consumers with questions regarding this recall can contact a representative of the COMPANIES by phone at (866) 922-4669 or e-mail recall@abhnutra.com, Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:30pm, EST.
Note that COMPANIES below refers to the FDA closed-down manufacturing companies, not the distributors. So you would be call the manufacturer and saying "I have Product XYX from Distributor "ABC" listed in the companies to whom you sold supplements. Is this one of the recalled supplements?" It does also look like the distributors (who you bought from) are supposed to notify customers--although unless they have a record of your purchase and a way to contact you, that could be hard.

Slacker has good advice: when in doubt, especially if you bought from a company that's not listed on Consumer Labs, or carried in many stores, you may want to switch. Note that no examples of illness or injury have been reported with these companies' products: They are being closed down because they don't follow accepted manufacturing quality control and may make claims that are not valid or allowed for supplements.
4/4 and still an optimist!
sandyt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sandyt »

NF52 wrote:
sandyt wrote:Does anyone know how to find out which specific products from these companies that have been recalled? I called one of the companies on the list and they claim to know nothing about it and insist that they have no current recalls.
Hi sandyt,

The FDA list provided by Brian does not show which products, presumably because they sold an enormous variety of products labeled differently for each company, from 2013-2019. But the recall, which is technically done by the companies the FDA is citing, does list this:
The COMPANIES are notifying its distributors and customers via email and is arranging for return of all recalled products. Wholesalers and distributors (direct customers of the COMPANIES) that have any dietary supplement products manufactured or packaged at the Edgewood, NY facility being recalled should contact a representative of the COMPANIES for instructions with regard to returning any remaining stock.

Distributors or Consumers with questions regarding this recall can contact a representative of the COMPANIES by phone at (866) 922-4669 or e-mail recall@abhnutra.com, Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:30pm, EST.
Note that COMPANIES below refers to the FDA closed-down manufacturing companies, not the distributors. So you would be call the manufacturer and saying "I have Product XYX from Distributor "ABC" listed in the companies to whom you sold supplements. Is this one of the recalled supplements?" It does also look like the distributors (who you bought from) are supposed to notify customers--although unless they have a record of your purchase and a way to contact you, that could be hard.

Slacker has good advice: when in doubt, especially if you bought from a company that's not listed on Consumer Labs, or carried in many stores, you may want to switch. Note that no examples of illness or injury have been reported with these companies' products: They are being closed down because they don't follow accepted manufacturing quality control and may make claims that are not valid or allowed for supplements.
Thanks. I will be contacting them immediately.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

I got an email from Amazon informing me of a potential safety issue with an item I purchased. In part, it says:
"More details, including how to determine if your purchase is impacted and what you should do next can be found in the following notification:
https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-mark ... l-all-lots

If you made this purchase for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately and provide them with the information.

If you believe your purchase is impacted and would like a refund, please contact Amazon Customer Service at https://www.amazon.com/contact-us/".

Clicking on the first link, I was able to download an Excel spreadsheet containing the full list of distributors of this manufacturer's products.

I'm going to call Amazon customer service and see what's entailed in getting my money back.