Hello. 3/4 lurker for a few years

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TeaAndGlasses
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. 3/4 lurker for a few years

Post by TeaAndGlasses »

Hello!

I accidentally found out four or five years ago that I have one copy of the APOE4 gene. One of my close relatives had AD, so I was pretty freaked out.

I've been lurking here for a few years. I've dramatically improved my diet, and I exercise a lot more than I used to. I take a few supplements. I've read all about Dr. Bredesen's protocol.

I feel like my biggest problem now is just general fear, but I started meditating about 4 months ago, and I feel like that helps, although I haven't kept it up recently. I plan to start again. I also quit being a workaholic and started taking more vacations, which has been wonderful.

After I get on track meditating again, I plan to start trying intermittent fasting. My philosophy is essentially to get one behavior modification down really well before I add another. It seems to work for me.

Thanks for being here when I want to look up details about protocols, supplements, tests, and so on. I appreciate it!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hello. 3/4 lurker for a few years

Post by NF52 »

TeaAndGlasses wrote:Hello!

I accidentally found out four or five years ago that I have one copy of the APOE4 gene. One of my close relatives had AD, so I was pretty freaked out.

I've been lurking here for a few years. I've dramatically improved my diet, and I exercise a lot more than I used to. I take a few supplements. I've read all about Dr. Bredesen's protocol.

I feel like my biggest problem now is just general fear, but I started meditating about 4 months ago, and I feel like that helps, although I haven't kept it up recently. I plan to start again. I also quit being a workaholic and started taking more vacations, which has been wonderful.

After I get on track meditating again, I plan to start trying intermittent fasting. My philosophy is essentially to get one behavior modification down really well before I add another. It seems to work for me.

Thanks for being here when I want to look up details about protocols, supplements, tests, and so on. I appreciate it!
A warm welcome, TeaAndGlasses!

Like you, I accidentally found out my ApoE 4/4 status 6 years ago. And like you (and lots of us) I was pretty freaked out also. It sounds like you have found a wonderful strategy in meditating, which is a form of mindfulness and allows us to feel some calm in the midst of all the uncertainty we face. I like your philosophy of working on one change at a time--lots of benefit to not spreading our efforts thin and finding success in one step at a time.

In case you haven't found them, here are some helpful tools: The Primer was written by a Stavia, a physician member who is also ApoE 4/4 and has an easy index to find topics of interest. She also has a handy appendix of recommended tests here: Biomarkers.

And to find ways to search, and how "quoting" users (using the single quotation mark at the upper right corner of each post) notifies people of your replies, check out How to Get the Most out of the Website

Finally--it important to remember that currently, for people ages 60-75, a rigorous meta-analysis of four large studies predicts that people with ApoE 3/4 or 2/4 have a 20-25% chance of a diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or dementia by age 85 (the average American lifespan from someone now 60-75). So the addition of strategies and meditation and the advances in research are likely to reduce that risk even further!

Enjoy posting and joining conversations.
4/4 and still an optimist!