Supplements I take and why

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Supplements I take and why

Post by circular »

Another paper I saved recently addresses iron and osteoporosis:
There is an evident detrimental effect of iron excess or bone homeostasis which can manifest itself in different ways, including low BMD, osteoporosis or osteopenia as well as altered microarchitecture and biomechanics. These conditions increase the incidence of pathologic fractures in patients suffering from diverse types of iron overload. The effect of iron deficiency on bone health is less clear, but some studies suggest that this condition is also associated with weakened bones, highlighting that balanced bone homeostasis requires optimal—not too low, not too high—iron levels.
I haven't had time to look at this closely, but in a scan no numbers for guidance jump out.

For women after menopause it states:
Menopause is a complex process, characterized by hormonal alterations, such as a marked decline of estrogen level. Interestingly, studies revealed a negative correlation between estrogen and serum ferritin levels, and mounting evidence suggests that the 2–3-fold increase in iron/ferritin levels in postmenopausal women influences their health [75,76,77]. About one-third of post-menopausal women suffer from osteoporosis and subsequent osteoporotic fractures [78,79,80]. Recent studies addressed whether increased iron stores effect bone health in women following menopause. They showed that the rate of annual bone loss correlates to plasma ferritin levels [iron storage] highlighting that elevated total body iron stores is an independent risk factor for enhanced bone loss in postmenopausal women [81,82].

Interestingly, a recent study revealed that the prevalence of low BMD is lower in elderly (>60 years) people with high serum ferritin levels (<200 ng/mL). This finding warrants the need of further studies to clarify the association between serum ferritin concentrations and BMD in different populations [83].
Darn, wish these findings weren't contradictory.

I followed the protocol on this study for a couple years, give or take, and my bone health worsened.
[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubm ... osteopenia[/url]
It concluded:
These findings provide both clinical and mechanistic support for the use of MSDK for the prevention or treatment of osteopenia, osteoporosis or other bone-related diseases.
Interestingly, it doesn't appear to have a focus on increasing alkalinity, or specifically potassium, so maybe it was working but just not well enough without that.

Who knows but I appreciate you giving me a new avenue to consider.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

This is interesting. I’ve done so many things and don’t know which one is the most important. So I dint want to stop anything.

I regards to iron I never researched that. However 2 years prior to my improved bone scan my bloodwork showed my ferritin at 156. I and my doctor thought that was high. I figured with all my protein and high vitamin c supplements was making me absorb more iron. I went and donated blood for the first time. My ferritin went down considerably. I think it was maybe 47. Just one more possible thing to attribute to my improved bones
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

I wanted to add that yes I do try to stay around 6 or 7 ph. It’s not good to move higher and be in the blue. Sometimes I over supplement and I’m too alkaline when I wake up. My coffee quickly brings it back down I take my b vitamins in morning now and wait to do my potassium. I just read b vitamins are better absorbed in more acidic state. So that’s my one window to take my B Right and 400 mcg methylfolate and phosphatydlechine on empty stomach. I can’t take more methylfolate than 800 mcg or I literally hurt.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Ssa wrote:My coffee quickly brings it back down...
That's funny. I did a test twice after coffee the other morning just to see what would happen and I was quite alkaline. I did notice I was acid after a salad with vinegar in the dressing. I'm guessing there are a lot of variables that go into any one reading.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Wow, how soon after did you test? It usually takes a couple hours or more but after the diuretic effects kick in, I can go completely acidic. Do you drink black coffee ? Do you put any creamer, milk, almond or soy or dairy?
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

I too noticed lately that my usually alkalizing lunch salad that I was acidic. I usually choose a creamy dressing like blue cheese or ranch but I need to drop about 10lbs I put on during the holidays. So I have switched to Italian dressing and skip the cheese. I’ll add more calcium or take an extra 2 tabs of Alkaline balance to counter. My ranch can be about 300 to 400 calories and Italian about 40 calories.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Ssa wrote:I
I am always hopeful that if I can reverse my osteoporosis and keep my homocysteine and cholesterol in check and other bloodwork that I am also lessening my AD chances.
My husband has been successful with lowering his homocysteine. He takes Methyl Folate, B 50 and TMG 500 mg. I see you take B-Right Jarrow which contains Methyl folate and B. You may want to consider adding TMG. My husband chooses the supplements he takes based on research, I don't know what studies he read for TMG but I found one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3610948/

I am please to hear you think the Mk4 - MK7K2 is helping with bone loss. I have osteopenia and have been taking the K for a while and hope I will see positive results on my next bone density test.

What spring water are you drinking? Hopefully one rich in silica. If not you may want to consider switching your water. Silica water has been found to remove aluminum from your body and aluminum is a causal factor of Alzheimer's. I have posted in this forum about silica water. You can also look up the work of Professor Exley at Keele University.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

[*]
laurie wrote:
I am always hopeful that if I can reverse my osteoporosis and keep my homocysteine and cholesterol in check and other bloodwork that I am also lessening my AD chances.
My husband has been successful with lowering his homocysteine. He takes Methyl Folate, B 50 and TMG 500 mg. I see you take B-Right Jarrow which contains Methyl folate and B. You may want to consider adding TMG. My husband chooses the supplements he takes based on research, I don't know what studies he read for TMG but I found one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3610948/
[*]
I am please to hear you think the Mk4 - MK7K2 is helping with bone loss. [*] I have osteopenia and have been taking the K for a while and hope I will see positive results on my next bone density test.

What spring water are you drinking? Hopefully one rich in silica. If not you may want to consider switching your water. Silica water has been found to remove aluminum from your body and aluminum is a causal factor of Alzheimer's. I have posted in this forum about silica water. You can also look up the work of Professor Exley at Keele University.
Thanks for reminding me about the silica spring water. I used to drink Figi water for the silica but it costs more. I have been drinking ozarka spring water.

As far as k2. I do think it’s played a part in my improved dexa score but I’m sure which has helped the most. I do think getting enough potassium citrate is crucial and watching my ph.

I also feel the sunflower lecithin (phosphatidylcholine) that I began taking for AD ending up being a major part of improved bone density. How could I know which is most important ? I also take a lot of anti oxidants.

Although I feel limited in my scientific knowledge, I do think I can think outside the box. I figure the body pumps out too much cholesterol to compensate for something lacking. I’m thinking the phosphatidylcholine may help transport fat soluble vitamins which was limited before.

But we are all deficient in potassium and I could never eat enough fruits and vegetables so I supplement.
I will look into the TMG. I’m hoping the lecithin gives my body what it needs to make my own. And I sometimes wonder if the action of conversion by the body is necessary.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Some “scholars” scoff at worrying about urine ph. They say it’s “stupid” because the body keeps your blood ph in a tight range. That is the point though. If you eat a lot of acidic food, which for example too much protein and not enough fruits and vegetables (potassium) then your body has to take it from somewhere. In my case my bones which is where the body stores alkalizing minerals. And here is where my lack of knowledge comes from. Why do some people have the same deficiency in potassium but don’t loose bone. They have other health problems usually blood sugar or arthritis. I’ve observed a lot of senior citizens in my business and I wonder all the time. Everybody’s body compensates and their body sacrifices something to make up the deficients.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Thanks for reminding me about the silica spring water. I used to drink Figi water for the silica but it costs more. I have been drinking ozarka spring water.

Regarding the cost of Fiji water, my husband Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist has developed a recipe for making your own silica water which has the same amount of silica (OSA) as Fiji water 122 ppm. Here is a link to the recipe and there is also a you tube video. Silicade is the name he has given to his recipe. The cost of silicade is 4 to 5 cents per gallon not including cost of tap water and refill filters. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke ... m/2017/09/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse