MyHeritage.com Test - ApoE4?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
dng050
Contributor
Contributor

MyHeritage.com Test - ApoE4?

Post by dng050 »

Hello, everyone. I am new here and from a non-english speaking country. MyHeritage.com offers a test in my country which according to their info would tell me of my risk of late-onset Alzheimer's. However, it is not clear to me whether the test will answer whether I do have the ApoE4 variant or not. The info says (translated):

"APOE variants which are tested are: Cys112Arg, Arg158Cys"

Will this test answer if I do have the ApoE4 or not? If not, should I go for the test at 23andMe and upload it to Promethease?

Thanks for any clarification on this.
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MyHeritage.com Test - ApoE4?

Post by HopefulCaroline »

dng050 wrote:Hello, everyone. I am new here and from a non-english speaking country. MyHeritage.com offers a test in my country which according to their info would tell me of my risk of late-onset Alzheimer's. However, it is not clear to me whether the test will answer whether I do have the ApoE4 variant or not. The info says (translated):

Will this test answer if I do have the ApoE4 or not? If not, should I go for the test at 23andMe and upload it to Promethease?

dng050,
Welcome to the site! We are happy to have you here. Although I am not an expert, my understanding of both 23 and Me and MyHeritage.com is that they both search through over 600,000 single-nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs. I believe the DNA tests offered by these companies are very similar, although they measure slightly different SNPs in different locations. Regardless, both tests should answer the question 'Do I have the ApoE4 gene or not?' Both can be run through Promethease or similar as you can download the raw data.

I would like to recommend a few things on this site. Our Primer is an introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies and was written by Stavia a member who is also a physician. The Wiki has tips on how to get the most of the site as well as more detail on protocols, lab tests and lifestyle support. If you are so inclined, please share your story on the Our Stories section of he site. We would love to learn more.

Sincerely,
Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

dng050 wrote:Hello, everyone. I am new here and from a non-english speaking country. MyHeritage.com offers a test in my country which according to their info would tell me of my risk of late-onset Alzheimer's. However, it is not clear to me whether the test will answer whether I do have the ApoE4 variant or not. The info says (translated):

Welcome, dng050,

Thank you for translating your information; your English is much better than any attempts of mine to speak or write in a foreign language. The two variants you listed appear to be the same as what are generally called single nucleotide polymorphisms or "SNPs"in the U.S. on tests such as 23& me. So Cys112Arg is the same as rs429358 and Arg158Cys is the same as rs7412, according to a 2009 article in the journal Genomics, quoted below:
APOE has three common alleles, APOE-ɛ2, APOE-ɛ3 and APOE-ɛ4. These three alleles are defined by two non-synonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), rs429358 (TGC → CGC, Cys112Arg) and rs7412 (CGC → TGC, Arg158Cys): APOE-ɛ2, T-T (Cys-Cys); APOE-ɛ3, T-C (Cys-Arg); and APOE-ɛ4, C-C (Arg-Arg).
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4309000111

I hope that MyHeritage.com would interpret the results for you, and tell you what your two ApoE alleles are (one from each parent). You could have ApoE 3/3, the most common worldwide, or ApoE 3/4 (about 20% of people) ApoE 4/4 (about 2%), or ApoE 2/2, 2/3 or 2/4 (about 3% of the population have one of these three, apparently). If you need a source to translate your results, here is one I've used:https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE.

Good luck with getting the test results you seek. Remember, a test only tells you a small bit of your genes; not what all your other genes are doing, and most of all, nothing about how you can act to keep yourself healthy for a very long time.
4/4 and still an optimist!
dng050
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dng050 »

Thank you both for your informative and really helpful replies.

So I think I will get the test from MyHeritage.com and upload it to other services to get answers on what variant of the ApoE4 gene I have.

My quest to get the answer on what variant of the gene I have is primarily so that I can decide whether I should continue with MCT oil or not. I have come to understand that with a variant of the ApoE4 gene, Dr. Bredesen recommends that one does not take MCT oil.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

dng050 wrote:Thank you both for your informative and really helpful replies.

So I think I will get the test from MyHeritage.com and upload it to other services to get answers on what variant of the ApoE4 gene I have.

My quest to get the answer on what variant of the gene I have is primarily so that I can decide whether I should continue with MCT oil or not. I have come to understand that with a variant of the ApoE4 gene, Dr. Bredesen recommends that one does not take MCT oil.
Hi again,
If you are just interested in finding out whether or not to continue with MCT oil, you may want to save some money and just consider whether you tolerate saturated fats well, or have a family history of heart disease or vascular disease (strokes, aneurysms) that might make those more of something to have in small amounts. . You may also want to read the main conclusions of studies discussed in our wiki on Fats. Sorry it is only in English; I hope Google Translate or your excellent English can make it readable!

Also, you may want to think about how you will react if your test comes back with a result of one or two ApoE 4 alleles. Many people think they are ready for this news,especially if they have a family history of Alzheimer's, only to find that it is very different to have the risk "official". Here's a topic that might help your decision: Thinking About Testing. And remember; MCT oil is only one small part of your life; celebrate all that you are doing to live a long, healthy life!
4/4 and still an optimist!