What if I ate nothing other than raw egg yolks?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

What if I ate nothing other than raw egg yolks?

Post by baccheion »

I'm thinking about an approach that involves eating only (truly pastured organic) raw egg yolks. About 48 per day. Thoughts? I'm apoE 4/3 with higher PCSK9 activity.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: What if I ate nothing other than raw egg yolks?

Post by Julie G »

Interesting experiment! What are you trying to achieve? A few thoughts... Organic pastured eggs come from hens that eat organic (still inflammatory) grain. I'd probably try to find truly pastured eggs to reduce the second-hand inflammation. High levels of choline will increase your homocysteine, and risk of colon and rectal cancer. What about flavanols and polyphenols? We have so much evidence that they're protective against AD. How about other nutrient deficiencies, like vitamin C, etc. Finally, I wonder what this will do to your gut microbiome. So much evidence is pointing towards the importance of short chain fatty acids that (I think) can only be derived from plants. I look forward to learning more :-)

EDIT: Don't forget to wash the shells with soap and water to prevent salmonella!
Melanie R.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Melanie R. »

baccheion wrote:I'm thinking about an approach that involves eating only (truly pastured organic) raw egg yolks. About 48 per day. Thoughts? I'm apoE 4/3 with higher PCSK9 activity.
Hello baccheion,

Welcome to the ApoE4.info community! We are so glad you are here.

When you have a moment you may want to take some time to read through the Wiki where there is information on topics such as movement, stress and even diet.

The Primer is another valuable resource. This is an introduction to APOE4 biochemistry and possible prevention strategies. It is written by Dr. Stavia, a member.

We hope you enjoy your time on the site.

With warm regards,
Melanie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (ReCODE)
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

Julie G wrote:Interesting experiment! What are you trying to achieve? A few thoughts... Organic pastured eggs come from hens that eat organic (still inflammatory) grain. I'd probably try to find truly pastured eggs to reduce the second-hand inflammation. High levels of choline will increase your homocysteine, and risk of colon and rectal cancer. What about flavanols and polyphenols? We have so much evidence that they're protective against AD. How about other nutrient deficiencies, like vitamin C, etc. Finally, I wonder what this will do to your gut microbiome. So much evidence is pointing towards the importance of short chain fatty acids that (I think) can only be derived from plants. I look forward to learning more :-)

EDIT: Don't forget to wash the shells with soap and water to prevent salmonella!
I'm looking for something nutrient-dense and sustainable. I ended up down this path partly due to laziness and partly due to having a weaker appetite. I can still get down yolks (effectively liquid) or liquid even when not hungry. My other curiosity centers around an all (100% grass-fed/grass-finished organic A2) raw milk diet. The main/only hesitation stems from presence of saturated fats in high quantity not playing well with apoE 4/3 and PCSK9.

I'm thinking about the Vital Farms Organic (orange carton) eggs. Would these still have the grain issue?

Would the vitamin B9, vitamin B12, and other methylation factors present in the eggs be enough to normalize/recycle homocysteine? Wouldn't higher choline lead to lower levels?

It's been said that TMAO isn't as much synthesized when the gut is sterile. Thinking about preceding the egg diet with a fast and/or iodine protocol (iodine kills bacteria). Vitamin B2 is a part of the chain that processes out TMAO. There'd be ~10 mg in 48 yolks. I wonder if that's enough.

How are polyphenols protective? Via hormetic effects (ie, triggering activation of the natural antioxidant system)? I was thinking to increase the amount of melatonin and DHEA by adding a feeding window. Either eating within 4-6 hours, or eating 2x as much every other day. Melatonin is a great protector, to the point some even suggest a megadose (eg, 240 milligrams) as Alzheimer's prevention. Melatonin also directly and indirectly aids in clearance of heavy metals.

Melatonin and DHEA are the hormones that decline with age. There's also HGH and IGF-1, though they seem to trace back to melatonin/DHEA (especially as the rest is due to growth plate closure). Cortisol and insulin tend to rise with age. Melatonin and DHEA oppose cortisol and aid in maintenance of insulin sensitivity.

I'd be adding electrolyte water (typical for ketosis), leading to sufficient sodium, potassium, and magnesium. I wonder if it'd be needed in the long run. Also, 48 yolks provide 64 ounces of water and miraculously have ideal keto macros (5/20/75 c/p/f).

I'm unclear about SCFAs. What effects do they have? Butryic acid, propionic acid, and acetic acid? How much is provided by a regular diet and does it end up being enough to matter? What alternatives provide similar effects?

I was also thinking of boiling the crushed and sanitized shells, then drinking the liquid. Shell membranes are said to provide glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, etc. Unsure if quantities provided would be relevant.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

baccheion wrote: I'm thinking about the Vital Farms Organic (orange carton) eggs. Would these still have the grain issue?
Dr. Gundry has observed that his patients eating omega 3 eggs don't have the inflammation issues (on labs) that other eggs can present. Hence perhaps organic omega 3 eggs. I think they feed flax, among other things for these eggs.
Tincup
E3,E4
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

Tincup wrote:
baccheion wrote: I'm thinking about the Vital Farms Organic (orange carton) eggs. Would these still have the grain issue?
Dr. Gundry has observed that his patients eating omega 3 eggs don't have the inflammation issues (on labs) that other eggs can present. Hence perhaps organic omega 3 eggs. I think they feed flax, among other things for these eggs.
Are such issues likely to be present when eggs are eaten in isolation? What were the associated tests? Hs-CRP?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Would the vitamin B9, vitamin B12, and other methylation factors present in the eggs be enough to normalize/recycle homocysteine? Wouldn't higher choline lead to lower levels?
Good question and certainly above my pay grade. Maybe SusanJ, our methylation whisperer, will weigh in. It's well established that low levels of choline can lead to elevated homocysteine but I've seen people over-supplement and end up with higher levels. My guess is that there's a u-shaped curve and I can't find any research based on choline levels anywhere near what you're suggesting. If you proceed, check your homocysteine on a regular basis and let us know what you find out.

Chris Masterjohn says that a raw egg has 200mg of choline. Different sources suggest less. Regardless, you're looking at daily levels between 6,000-9600mg. Have you researched upper limits?
I'm thinking about the Vital Farms Organic (orange carton) eggs. Would these still have the grain issue?
Vital Farms are one of the better options. All of their hens get a lot of pasture and little supplemental grain. You could try the Cornucopia Egg Scorecard to find the hens (eggs) that get the most pasture time near you.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

baccheion wrote:Are such issues likely to be present when eggs are eaten in isolation? What were the associated tests? Hs-CRP
He doesn't recommend eating 48 eggs a day, so his patients would eat materially less. He does care about autoimmune issues and what people eat and what they eat eats.

He tests many cytokines, I don't recall what he was specifically looking at. In this post, I've linked transcripts and labs to nine of our consults with Gundry. You can peruse the labs (which are extensive) to see what he tests for. It is far beyond Hs-CRP.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

baccheion wrote:Would the vitamin B9, vitamin B12, and other methylation factors present in the eggs be enough to normalize/recycle homocysteine? Wouldn't higher choline lead to lower levels?

It's been said that TMAO isn't as much synthesized when the gut is sterile. Thinking about preceding the egg diet with a fast and/or iodine protocol (iodine kills bacteria).
You probably would not have all the co-factors you need to normalize homocysteine, not to mention those needed for the other processes that depend on methylation such as creating glutathione. Take a look here for more info.

Higher choline wouldn't necessarily help if you don't convert choline well or lack in cofactors.

And it's probably more than a bit optimistic that you can even sterilize your gut, let alone keep it that way. Besides you need a healthy microbiome to stay healthy. You might have already done some research but do check this out:
The gut microbiome performs diverse functions essential to our health. Perhaps best understood is their role in digestion. Our gut microbiota have enzymes that break down certain types of sugars, starches, and fiber from foods so that we can digest them and absorb their nutrients. Bacteria also ferment fiber in our digestive tracts, producing short-chain fatty acids—such as acetic acid, propionic acid, and butyric acid—which are extremely beneficial energy sources for the body and are essential for regulating metabolism. These short-chain fatty acids also aid in the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, and iron. Our gut bacteria aid in the absorption of minerals in other ways too. They degrade minerals complexing with phytate (an “antinutrient” present to varying degrees in all plant-based foods that binds minerals and makes them less absorbable; see for example Is Oxalate Sensitivity Real? and Nuts and the Paleo Diet: Moderation is Key), making those minerals available for absorption. Our gut bacteria also synthesize vitamins, B and K vitamins in particular, which our bodies then absorb (and which provide us with important micronutrients that we may not get enough of otherwise). Gut bacteria may also play a key role in facilitating absorption of dietary fatty acids, thereby also increasing absorption of important fat-soluble vitamins like A, E, D, and K (although the results of this cutting-edge research have yet to be confirmed in humans). Gut bacteria can also ferment proteins, producing branched-chain amino acids, well known to be important for muscle recovery and athletic performance.
https://www.thepaleomom.com/what-is-the ... -about-it/

Probably healthier ways, to tackle lack of appetite and your not wanting to cook, than guzzling eggs.
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

SusanJ wrote:
baccheion wrote:Would the vitamin B9, vitamin B12, and other methylation factors present in the eggs be enough to normalize/recycle homocysteine? Wouldn't higher choline lead to lower levels?

It's been said that TMAO isn't as much synthesized when the gut is sterile. Thinking about preceding the egg diet with a fast and/or iodine protocol (iodine kills bacteria).
You probably would not have all the co-factors you need to normalize homocysteine, not to mention those needed for the other processes that depend on methylation such as creating glutathione. Take a look here for more info.

Higher choline wouldn't necessarily help if you don't convert choline well or lack in cofactors.

And it's probably more than a bit optimistic that you can even sterilize your gut, let alone keep it that way. Besides you need a healthy microbiome to stay healthy. You might have already done some research but do check this out:
The gut microbiome performs diverse functions essential to our health. Perhaps best understood is their role in digestion. Our gut microbiota have enzymes that break down certain types of sugars, starches, and fiber from foods so that we can digest them and absorb their nutrients. Bacteria also ferment fiber in our digestive tracts, producing short-chain fatty acids—such as acetic acid, propionic acid, and butyric acid—which are extremely beneficial energy sources for the body and are essential for regulating metabolism. These short-chain fatty acids also aid in the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, and iron. Our gut bacteria aid in the absorption of minerals in other ways too. They degrade minerals complexing with phytate (an “antinutrient” present to varying degrees in all plant-based foods that binds minerals and makes them less absorbable; see for example Is Oxalate Sensitivity Real? and Nuts and the Paleo Diet: Moderation is Key), making those minerals available for absorption. Our gut bacteria also synthesize vitamins, B and K vitamins in particular, which our bodies then absorb (and which provide us with important micronutrients that we may not get enough of otherwise). Gut bacteria may also play a key role in facilitating absorption of dietary fatty acids, thereby also increasing absorption of important fat-soluble vitamins like A, E, D, and K (although the results of this cutting-edge research have yet to be confirmed in humans). Gut bacteria can also ferment proteins, producing branched-chain amino acids, well known to be important for muscle recovery and athletic performance.
https://www.thepaleomom.com/what-is-the ... -about-it/

Probably healthier ways, to tackle lack of appetite and your not wanting to cook, than guzzling eggs.
As I said, wouldn't the higher amount of B vitamins present in so many eggs be sufficient? There's a lot of B2, B4 (choline), B9, B12, etc..

Iodine from the protocol has that effect. Further, there isn't much/any fiber with just raw egg yolks.

What's unhealthy about the egg yolks? Is pastured not enough to acceptably balance omega-3:omega-6? Also, there's almost 1.5 g DHA present.

What other ways?