Buckwheat & blood glucose reduction

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Buckwheat & blood glucose reduction

Post by FitFoodie »

In my search for more food I can eat with less worry, I've landed on buckwheat. I realize many here don't do grains, but if you do: Buckwheat is a seed in the rhubarb family and it has been shown to reduce blood glucose in mice, among other benefits (blood pressure & cholesterol).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22472288

I've sprouted it before, which is easy to do, and that eliminates lectins. I just soak and then strain, and use sprouting lids from amazon on mason jar. It takes about 2 days.

edited to add: I've also fermented buckwheat -- this can be done by soaking and then grinding up the buckwheat groats or by adding sourdough starter to buckwheat flour.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Buckwheat & blood glucose reduction

Post by Plumster »

Yes! I have hot buckwheat cereal every morning with lots of Ceylon cinnamon (also a glucose reducer), ground flaxseed, and a big heap of fresh or frozen blueberries. I buy the bag from Bob's Mill. I love starting my day this way. While there may be many reasons for the change in my lab results, my fasting glucose has gone from 99 to 85, and fasting insulin from 3 to 1.8.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

Plumster wrote:Yes! I have hot buckwheat cereal every morning with lots of Ceylon cinnamon (also a glucose reducer), ground flaxseed, and a big heap of fresh or frozen blueberries. I buy the bag from Bob's Mill. I love starting my day this way. While there may be many reasons for the change in my lab results, my fasting glucose has gone from 99 to 85, and fasting insulin from 3 to 1.8.
Congrats on your lab results! That sounds like a delicious breakfast.

I've been making a pureed veggie soup, 5 quarts at a time stored in glass jars. The recipe has lots of B12 in the form of a ton of nutritional yeast (to make it "cheesy"). I eat it for lunch most days and I like to add buckwheat to it, which I also cook in bulk about once a week.

Here's the soup recipe if you're interested -- you can change up the veggies as you prefer.

https://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/25/luxur ... eese-soup/
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

FitFoodie,

The soup sounds delicious. I'll be trying it this weekend!
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

Plumster wrote:FitFoodie,

The soup sounds delicious. I'll be trying it this weekend!
I hope you enjoy the soup. Two of three teens in my house eat it...a positive endorsement if ever there was one lol.

Btw, I lately don't bother using vegetable stock. I find water is fine because the salt and acid (lemon juice) are to taste anyway, and the vegetable flavor nice and strong regardless.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi FitFoodie,

I ended up making the soup yesterday and everyone loved it! I skipped the oil, used broth and for veggies, I used carrots, celery, leeks, garlic, onion, kale, broccoli, and sweet potato. Thanks for the new recipe, I'll definitely make it again.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

Plumster wrote:Hi FitFoodie,

I ended up making the soup yesterday and everyone loved it! I skipped the oil, used broth and for veggies, I used carrots, celery, leeks, garlic, onion, kale, broccoli, and sweet potato. Thanks for the new recipe, I'll definitely make it again.
I'm so glad it was a hit and your veggie combo sounds delicious!

Here's another recipe I've been making lately for my family

https://cookieandkate.com/healthy-granola-recipe/

I make it with pistachios or walnuts, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, chia seeds... I use olive oil -- it's really not too savory in my taste buds. I use about half to two-thirds the sweetener that's called for (maple syrup or honey).

If you're interested, just beware that some berries and some nuts burn unless they're included about halfway through the baking time.