Conflicting APOE status

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Tlevster
Contributor
Contributor

Conflicting APOE status

Post by Tlevster »

I’m confused and will probably get another test.... please give me your opinion. In 2014 a pain doctor did a medical dna test related to drug metabolism. It was his “national” practices lab, Medical DNA Labs (original lol), and in 2018 I did the ancestry dna, and just last week requested to have the health work up. The medical test results included APOE 2/4, and MTHFR TT. The ancestry health results came today (BUT ancestry health doesn’t reveal AD risk in their report) HOWEVER the raw data does! Promethease included it from their report. Promethease confirmed MTHFR TT but reported APOE 2/3. Big difference!! and my grandmother and my father have lived a long 65+ grandma lived to 84, and my dads still physically healthy at 81 (he cleans the memory facility’s floors daily for something to do).

I would love to know my dads results. If he’s 4/4 I know that i am a 2/4 . And it would be very informative to compare our risk factors, outside of our known family history!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Conflicting APOE status

Post by NF52 »

Tlevster wrote:I’m confused and will probably get another test.... please give me your opinion. In 2014 a pain doctor did a medical dna test related to drug metabolism. It was his “national” practices lab, Medical DNA Labs (original lol), and in 2018 I did the ancestry dna, and just last week requested to have the health work up. The medical test results included APOE 2/4, and MTHFR TT. The ancestry health results came today (BUT ancestry health doesn’t reveal AD risk in their report) HOWEVER the raw data does! Promethease included it from their report. Promethease confirmed MTHFR TT but reported APOE 2/3. Big difference!! ...
Hi Tievster,

This question has come up before, and is frustrating! Here's what SNPedia reports about Ancestry results:
Word of caution to those with data from Ancestry.com: in our experience, based on data in OpenSNP and from Promethease users since 2006, Ancestry data always reports rs429358 as (T;T), even for people who's data from other sources indicates they are (C;T). Therefore, until Ancestry corrects this false negative problem, be aware that the ApoE genosets defined by the genotypes listed above (and therefore assigned by Promethease) will be inaccurate if they are based on (inaccurate) Ancestry data. Specifically, some percentage of Ancestry users who are supposedly gs246 positive (Apo-ε3/ε3) are actually either gs141 (Apo-ε3/ε4) or gs216 (Apo-ε4/ε4).
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE

You can certainly do another test through a different testing company, but if it were me, I'd focus on that happy Apoe 2 result! People with ApoE2 may need to watch for a risk of diabetes based on some studies, but show a remarkable resilience to Alzheimer's and likely also longevity. That make be your ancestors' gift to you! We have a member on the forum with ApoE 2/4 who is a vibrant and active 83. increasingly researchers are focused on studying why ApoE2 is so resilient, since they believe that knowledge, or eventually using gene editing technology to turn ApoE 4/4 individuals like me into ApoE 2/4 may be a decisive prevention tool.

(And as a final note, your dad sounds like a sweetheart! I bet his memory care home loves his energy.)
4/4 and still an optimist!