New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
nmhntz22
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by nmhntz22 »

Classic Mediterranean would include whole grains and dairy which we would not want being apoe4 correct ??
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

The is a great summary page. Short and to the point. Thanks, Stavia!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
bpr1371
New User
New User

Post by bpr1371 »

Good afternoon,
I am a 70 yr old healthy caucasian female. I recently found out that I have one allele for ApoE4 (which probably comes from my dad's side as he expired from Alzheimers). I also have tinnitus in my left ear and most recent hearing test shows that my hearing is getting worse, in particular at higher pitches. Hearing aids have been suggested. I know there is a correlation between hearing loss and dementia and I am wondering how important it is that I consider getting hearing aids, even though I am functioning well at this point. Any literature recommendations? Thank you so much, Barbara Reineke
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

bpr1371 wrote:I know there is a correlation between hearing loss and dementia and I am wondering how important it is that I consider getting hearing aids, even though I am functioning well at this point.
Having witnessed the challenges hearing loss has presented to those that I've known and the benefits received by the one who have chosen to get hearing aids, especially with current technology, I see no down side to getting them.

Don't believe me? (and why should you?) how about recent articles/ studies:

Hearing aids may delay cognitive decline
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... PjK8uVEnuU
that article referenced this study:
The Effect of Hearing Aid Use on Cognition in Older Adults: Can We Delay Decline or Even Improve Cognitive Function?
https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/1/254

5 Things You May Not Know About Hearing Aids
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinseato ... 7159da456c

Association of Hearing Loss With Dementia
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... Y.facebook
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
summer0088
Contributor
Contributor

Post by summer0088 »

bpr1371 wrote:
Hi bpr1371! Welcome to the ApoE4 forum! We're so glad to have you here :-)

Great questions! It looks like you've already received some great suggestions for literature and I'll be on the lookout for others as well.

If you haven't already explored the forum, here are some areas that you may find helpful. The "How-to" guide in the wiki link is great and helps to get the most out of the Apoe4 website. You may also want to view the Primer, written by one of our physician members and is a great introduction. Also, feel free to introduce yourself to the community in the Our Stories section.

So happy to have you here, bpr1371! I look forward to learning more about this topic through your question. Have a great weekend.
Last edited by NF52 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote bracket needed
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

Russ wrote:
kateg wrote: Oh, and I guess I should admit my one weakness - I eat copious amounts of guacamole (I make my own).... haven't you heard, it's the new ketchup ;-).Russ
Us loves Guac, but us loves Salsa mas! As for the new ketchup, we use organic tomato paste instead: super tasty-sweet, no sugar, no additives, and it's so thick it spreads like peanut butter and won't run or drip!
Caregiver to 3/4 spouse w/MCI; following ReCoDe protocol as best we can (bofus)...
Resilientk
New User
New User

Post by Resilientk »

Good Morning,
I am not sure if I am writing in the right place. If not, apologies. I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and greet everyone.
I am 40, recently got tested by a naturopath as part of trying to identify the cause of chronic pains (spasms that reoccur every couple of weeks; the pain starts deep in my head and then spreads throughout my body like a creeping plant and holds me in its grip for 24 hours, with a day or two of recovery when I am completely miserable).
Through all the testing, they found one allele of APoE-4.
The naturopath is treating me for issues in the gut and lowered immunity that are presumably causing those pain attacks along with anxiety, constipation, etc. After starting the treatment, which includes supplements and a strict diet plan (which is really just meats, fish and grassy vegetables, without any additives), I've lost some weight and no longer have chronic constipation, but I am still anxious and have those bouts of pain.
I also just started seeing a homeopath.
I wonder if this pain is an early symptom of Alzheimer's. I don't seem to have any other symptoms that are characteristic of that disease.
I have had chronic pains over the last ten years (they were not always in this current form) after a bad relationship where I started having panic attacks. The attacks morphed into general anxiety and then into physical pains.
If someone has a similar experience, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Be well. Be strong.
Thank you,
K.
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Renlets »

Resilientk wrote:Good Morning,
I am not sure if I am writing in the right place. If not, apologies. I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and greet everyone.
I am 40, recently got tested by a naturopath as part of trying to identify the cause of chronic pains (spasms that reoccur every couple of weeks; the pain starts deep in my head and then spreads throughout my body like a creeping plant and holds me in its grip for 24 hours, with a day or two of recovery when I am completely miserable).
Through all the testing, they found one allele of APoE-4.
K.
Hi Resilientk,

Welcome to the Apoe4.info. I am glad you have posted and I am delighted to welcome you on our learning and supportive platform. I am sure you will get a few responses from various members, who might have a similar experience. I wanted to just give you a shout out to say, we see you and acknowledge your pain, as well as give you some encouragement on your journey of healing.
I would like to point out a few important tools on offer to help you navigate the site. First, you may want to explore our PRIMER, it is a great area to start in exploring the wealth of information on the site. It is written by a physician member of the ApoE4.info community. The second area is the WIKI, it may come handy especially to research about your pain and Brain health. Lastly, there is a How-to-guide, this area explains techniques of how to use the quotes button so that the other member receives an email notification of your reply, how to search for topics, how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

Once more welcome and keep resilient!!
have a great day
Renlets
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Resilientk wrote:
The naturopath is treating me for issues in the gut and lowered immunity that are presumably causing those pain attacks along with anxiety, constipation, etc. After starting the treatment, which includes supplements and a strict diet plan (which is really just meats, fish and grassy vegetables, without any additives), I've lost some weight and no longer have chronic constipation, but I am still anxious and have those bouts of pain.
Hi K,

Welcome!

Here are some non-standard thoughts on pain and anxiety.

For pain, you might look at trigger points. These are localized muscle spasms that can refer pain elsewhere. The referred pain is the key idea. A place to start is with this workbook. If you decide to pursue this and want more info, PM (private message) me and I can give you more resources.

For anxiety, breathing can make a huge difference. Suggest these two podcasts with UK doc Rangan Chattergee with breathing instructor, Patrick McKeown and author James Nestor. Both have excellent books and McKeown has many more resources. To start with, here is an mp3 of McKeown's you can download and try. It is 20 minutes. Again, I have many more resources, if you want to pursue. PM me. Listen to the podcasts, first.
Tincup
E3,E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Resilientk wrote:Good Morning,
I am not sure if I am writing in the right place. If not, apologies. I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and greet everyone....I wonder if this pain is an early symptom of Alzheimer's. I don't seem to have any other symptoms that are characteristic of that disease.
I have had chronic pains over the last ten years (they were not always in this current form) after a bad relationship where I started having panic attacks. The attacks morphed into general anxiety and then into physical pains.
If someone has a similar experience, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Be well. Be strong.
Thank you,
K.
Welcome, Resilientk! You can post on any forum you want, or you can start a new post, for example on Our Stories. You have had a tough adulthood since turning 30 or so. Yet you have persevered through pain, and realized that the origin of the pain is associated with the end of a relationship. I too had panic attacks and pain at about your age. It took me a while to realize the source was also a toxic person (in my case, a sister with severe untreated mental health issues). Once I gave myself permission to not feel responsible to get her help she didn't want, and to focus instead on my own goals and family, I did much better. But the traces of those early "adverse events" leave "ghosts in the machine" sometimes. Although I don't have the training to offer such advice, I wonder if your your emotional pain and panic attacks have now become a periodic feedback loop that causes literal "deep pain."

I do think you can absolutely rule out that one copy of ApoE 4 as a cause of your pain, or of early onset Alzheimer's disease. One copy of ApoE 4 would give you about a 20% chance of getting Alzheimer's disease by the time your are 85-- but only if your were my generation (between 60-75). Right now, you get the good benefits of ApoE4: high verbal intelligence, the ability to reflect deeply and carefully, and a strong memory for narratives (the experiences and stories of our lives). And in the next two decades you can see all the benefits of your healthy choices and dramatic advances in prevention of AD. So use the time now with your N.D. about root causes. Maybe a great massage therapist can see if tight muscles are causing that head pain or a cognitive behavioral therapist can show your ways to help your brain not keep acting like a good friend who is pulling the fire alarm at every sign of a candle flame. You are young and can build a new quilt of experience and a different story of who you are that includes how strong, how persistent, how brave you are and can be. You're part of a community that is glad to be here with you!
4/4 and still an optimist!