UPDATE re. an E4 trial with Dr. Dale Bredesen

Julie G
Mod
Mod

UPDATE re. an E4 trial with Dr. Dale Bredesen

Post by Julie G »

All, I've heard back from Dr. Bredesen and have more details about what this intervention would entail. First, I'll share his response and follow with a few comments:
Dear Julie,
Yes, I'm enthusiastic about this, and just want to make sure we do this in a way that will help all of us to improve our ability to treat cognitive decline. I worked on a general protocol over the weekend (in the midst of a few hundred emails...). How many of your members do you think would be interested in being a part of such a project? It would involve:
1) Notifying you/us of interest.
2) I'd send a list of tests to get; some may already be done, which is fine, but additional ones we'd need to fill in the table (I've created a table of "Why Memory Loss?" that identifies many key components, and enables the personalized Rx).
3) Then we'd use those data to create the system for each person.
4) Then we'd follow up with each over time to determine whether there is improvement for those symptomatic, and whether there is continued performance for those who were asymptomatic at the start, i.e., can we keep the entire group from ever getting AD?

If you think the group would consider this, pls. let me know about how many members would be interested, and we'll get rolling.

Best regards,
Dale
So, this answers many questions. Travel would NOT be involved. That's great news, as even our international members could easily participate. It looks like we would be responsible for getting our own tests run at our own cost and relaying the information back to Dr. Bredesen. From my understanding, after receiving our baseline information, he would basically devise a personalized plan for each of us. We would then be responsible for implementing and adhering to his plan. This appears to be a long term intervention with the ultimate goal of reversing cognitive decline OR preventing it from ever occurring.

With this new information, if you are still interested: PLEASE indicate so on this thread. I will pass that count on to Dr. Bredesen.

EDIT: I'm linking our previous thread about this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=787
Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program
http://www.impactaging.com/papers/v6/n9 ... 00690.html
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Re: UPDATE re. an E4 trial with The Buck Institute

Post by asiagillett »

Yes, I am interested
LanceS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LanceS »

Sorry for further questions, but it seems like this could be alot of logistics depending on how it is structured. My current doc (may be this will be my catalyst for change) is negligent at paperwork.

So would Dr Bredesen give us the "orders" for these tests? Or do I get to negotiate with my current (I ought to enroll her, but this is about forgetting things you already know, not forgetting to learn things you should already know) doctor? I am assuming much/some of this would be covered by insurance?

Maybe I'll forget the irony in this situation, but at least at some point in my life I was aware of it.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yes, I'm still in.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yay, Asia & Susan- me too!

Lance, I don't know. I will pose your question to Dr. Bredesen. My guess is that he would not write the order as you are not his patient. Instead, he would provide a list of tests that need to be run. You would most likely be responsible to have your own physician write the orders. You're right. Many/most should be covered by insurance. Re. paperwork, you are entitled to a copy of all of your results; just ask for them. You could pass them along to Dr. Bredesen yourself.
TCat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCat »

I am interested.

Perhaps Dr. Bredesen can share the list of test he is planning to order? We can start researching where/how to get them as not all of them are available outside of US.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

I am in still. If he is looking for people with the start of AD, I do not know if we have any that he can show a reversal as in his paper. If they exist, they may want to contact direct to him for privacy concerns?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

It looks as though the other thread had 10 to 20 respond. Do you have a total number so far, Julie?
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

I'm perpetually in. :) Thanks for the update, Jul. :)
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

TCat, preliminarily, you can get an idea of what tests he will run based on this outline of his protocol from his recent paper:
image.jpg
Good point, WA. At this point, Dr. Bredesen is not categorizing our cognitive abilities. He's just looking for a count of how many would be interested. I'm sure we'll be addressing that down the line. We will certainly arrange for members to relay sensitive information privately.

Re. numbers, yes, I have a hard count from our old list. With the new information we received today, I'm restarting the count.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.