Question about Supplement Brands

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about Supplement Brands

Post by Jafa »

Thankyou Susan and Floramaria. Yes I will stick with Iherb for the bulk of my supplements. I did order a multiB Complex (recommended by Rhonda Patrick for some family members) from Swanson some weeks ago and I’m sure it’s on its way somewhere. With all the lockdowns worldwide the delay is to be expected. I got my homocysteine down to 6 with this product so will continue on it. Yes Susan, Iherb don’t stock some brands.I have another question. I have been taking Ashwaganda and Bacopa for about 3 years now and because of these and other helpful supplements like L theanine and glycine have managed to quit the SSRI. I certainly notice the difference in anxiety if I stop taking, particularly Ashwaganda. I went with the brand Rao recommended in Dale Bredesen’s book for the Bacopa. This is Himilaya and take the Solgar brand Ashwaganda. I’m hoping these are okay and don’t contain any unwanted metals.
Amberb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amberb »

SusanJ wrote:
Amberb wrote:How do people decide on supplementation brands?
Welcome, Amberb!

Just to note that Xymogen should come from a medical professional - they don't sell to Amazon or vitamin sites, so it should be something your expert can help with. Otherwise I tend to go with Pure Encapsulations, Thorne and a couple from Jarrow for most of what I take. Generally I avoid buying through Amazon and go directly to the manufacturer or a trusted vitamin site like Pure Formulas or Pharmaca, two that I use. Hopefully others will weigh in on what sites and brands they have come to trust.

So is Amazon not a trusted site to buy supplements? I have had my suspicions in the past, but are there bunk products disguised as name brand products?
Amberb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amberb »

I've read complaints about fakes on Amazon through 3rd party sellers. So, it's definitely buyer beware there.[/quote]

Interesting. Is there a way to tell the difference?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Amberb wrote:Is there a way to tell the difference?
Don't know a reliable way. Some people complain about capsules being stuck together, smelling funny, looking different, etc. I think if you buy directly from the manufacturer through Amazon and not a third party then it's probably okay.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

I was suspicious of buying supplements on Amazon so I actually called Thorne to ask them if their supplements sold on Amazon were authentic. They told me that their supplements sold through Iherb on Amazon were legit. As an aside, I also contacted Blue Buffalo to find out if it was safe to buy their dog food on Amazon and they assured me it was. I've heard a number of concerns about fakes sold on Amazon, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I typically buy my supplements on Fullscript.com though because I trust the brands they sell and they seem to have the best prices.
DianeSC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DianeSC »

My practitioner has stopped using Fullscript (with a 20% discount) and is now selling only through her office with a 10% discount. Is there a way to use Fullscript directly?
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

DianeSC wrote:Is there a way to use Fullscript directly?
I am not a physician and I was able to sign up for Fullscript.com with no problem.
DianeSC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DianeSC »

NancyM, thank you for letting me know. I didn't know that was possible.
Exodus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Exodus »

Jafa wrote:Thankyou Susan and Floramaria. Yes I will stick with Iherb for the bulk of my supplements. I did order a multiB Complex (recommended by Rhonda Patrick for some family members) from Swanson some weeks ago and I’m sure it’s on its way somewhere. With all the lockdowns worldwide the delay is to be expected. I got my homocysteine down to 6 with this product so will continue on it. Yes Susan, Iherb don’t stock some brands.I have another question. I have been taking Ashwaganda and Bacopa for about 3 years now and because of these and other helpful supplements like L theanine and glycine have managed to quit the SSRI. I certainly notice the difference in anxiety if I stop taking, particularly Ashwaganda. I went with the brand Rao recommended in Dale Bredesen’s book for the Bacopa. This is Himilaya and take the Solgar brand Ashwaganda. I’m hoping these are okay and don’t contain any unwanted metals.
Jafa - quick question about specifically WHICH B Complex you got from Swanson that helped to lower your homocysteine numbers - Swanson has many, many B products - hard to know which one might have worked for you. Some have other things added like C & iron that I don't want/need - but was yours only B? Most Swanson products have an Item Number - maybe you wouldn't mind sharing!

Thanks in advance . . . Exodus
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Hi Exodus, The product is Swanson ultra activated B-Complex high bioavailability item SWU815.