Apoe4 leads to BBB disfunction

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

Apoe4 leads to BBB disfunction

Post by Stefan »

a recent article in Nature, April 2020, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2247-3
says:
title
APOE4 leads to blood–brain barrier dysfunction predicting cognitive decline
[quote][/quote]we show that individuals bearing APOE4 (with the ε3/ε4 or ε4/ε4 alleles) are distinguished from those without APOE4 (ε3/ε3) by breakdown of the BBB in the hippocampus and medial temporal lobe. This finding is apparent in cognitively unimpaired APOE4 carriers and more severe in those with cognitive impairment, but is not related to amyloid-β or tau pathology measured in cerebrospinal fluid or by positron emission tomography...
I wonder what are the conequences for us?
I have not accessed the full article, too expensive for me to buy a single article...
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Apoe4 leads to BBB disfunction

Post by Fiver »

Hi Stefan. I have to read this one soon. I'll see what I can access and share.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Stefan wrote:I wonder what are the consequences for us?
This overview article, posted on our Facebook page, has a section on ApoE4 and the BBB.
A culmination of these studies implicates ApoE4 in decreasing BBB integrity through weakening tight junctions, increases in MMP9 and a loss of support needed for the BBB...

ApoE4 has also been associated to an increase in cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA) which can trigger BBB dysfunction due to the deposition of Aβ in the vessel walls and impaired clearance through the BBB compared to ApoE3 (118).
The section is quick read, but the authors state this is an area for more research.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Meanwhile, here are 25 ways to preserve the blood brain barrier: "How to Actually Heal and Repair a Leaky Blood Brain Barrier."
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR