Young blood NOT necessary, a simple oil change will do

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Young blood NOT necessary, a simple oil change will do

Post by Julie G »

Researchers have essentially found a molecular “reset button” to reverse aging. A new study shows that diluting blood plasma rejuvenates tissue and reverses aging in mice. See the press release here. If this holds up in human trials, plasmapheresis (already FDA approved and in use) could prove to be a game changer for both prevention and possibly treatment of cognitive decline and all diseases associated with aging.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Young blood NOT necessary, a simple oil change will do

Post by Lucy5 »

Fascinating Julie; definitely an area of research to keep an eye on!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

My mom had a lymphoma, Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia. Hyper blood viscosity can be a symptom and plasmapheresis was a commonly used treatment for it. Only reporting this to say it is readily available.

Wonder if plasma donation at the blood donation center would have any similar effect? Nothing going back in, your body would have to be making its own new stuff.
Tincup
E3,E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Tincup wrote: Wonder if plasma donation at the blood donation center would have any similar effect? Nothing going back in, your body would have to be making its own new stuff.
Interesting idea. Hopefully the researchers will think of that too, and test it.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My mom had a lymphoma, Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia. Hyper blood viscosity can be a symptom and plasmapheresis was a commonly used treatment for it. Only reporting this to say it is readily available.
Leading me to wonder if plasmapheresis could also overcome the fibrinogen/hypercoagulation uncovered by Gladstone???
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:Leading me to wonder if plasmapheresis could also overcome the fibrinogen/hypercoagulation uncovered by Gladstone???
In the case of Waldenstrom's, if a person has this hypercoagulation symptom, plasmapheresis was done fairly frequently, like every two weeks. Not sure how soon the Gladstone hypercoagulation would reappear.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

In the case of Waldenstrom's, if a person has this hypercoagulation symptom, plasmapheresis was done fairly frequently, like every two weeks. Not sure how soon the Gladstone hypercoagulation would reappear.
I'm unsure how often plasmapheresis would have to be repeated. I know that kidney dialysis is typically done three times per week and fully covered by insurance. If this research holds up in humans, it will be hard not to justify it.
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

Julie G wrote:Researchers have essentially found a molecular “reset button” to reverse aging. A new study shows that diluting blood plasma rejuvenates tissue and reverses aging in mice.
Every time I read about mice studies, I can't help but reflect on how we're improving the lifespan... of mice.

I sure hope even a tiny fraction of this rodent research eventually crosses over to humans.
Tincup wrote:My mom had a lymphoma, Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia. Hyper blood viscosity can be a symptom and plasmapheresis was a commonly used treatment for it.
In 2011 when my father had emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer, he went to a skilled nursing facility to recover. It was also clear that he could no longer live independently with mid-stage Alzheimer's, and the SNF had a care facility wing, so he moved into it.

About two weeks later one of the staff nurses spotted symptoms which were soon diagnosed as Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia. The treatment was chemotherapy and possibly plasmapheresis (I don't remember hearing about the latter). Because of all the substances Dad was getting plugged into, the oncologist installed a subcutaneous port below his left collarbone.

With Alzheimer's, I can't tell you how many times my father rediscovered that port for the first time all over again just about every morning. It fed directly into all of his lifelong conspiracy theories about doctors treating him as a lab rat.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Nords wrote: Because of all the substances Dad was getting plugged into, the oncologist installed a subcutaneous port below his left collarbone.

With Alzheimer's, I can't tell you how many times my father rediscovered that port for the first time all over again just about every morning. It fed directly into all of his lifelong conspiracy theories about doctors treating him as a lab rat.
My mom broke her hip. At the hospital she needed a 24 hour aide to keep her from ripping out the IV's in her arm. She was very confused being in the hospital. This factored into my decision not to treat a respiratory infection 10 months later (which would have required a hospital visit and IV antibiotics). I decided she didn't need another hospital visit. Before she was very demented, she'd told me in no uncertain terms, "if I can't be effective, I don't want to be here." The respirator infection ended up being her last illness, which I suspected would be the case when I make the decision. It was a difficult decision, but I had the support of her doc & the rest of the family (I'm an only child, so the final decision was mine).
Tincup
E3,E4