Well here is my carnivore experiment

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Well here is my carnivore experiment

Post by thx1138 »

Thanks I’ll check him out I’ll have my nmr soon which will be good and I’m going to most likely jump on gundry again if it’s bad I need to do my cac soon too

This is my path I think but I will check out that reference too

Abstract 309: Twelve Year Followup for Managing Coronary Artery Diease Using a Nutrigenomics Based Diet and Supplement Program With Quarterly Assessment of Biomarkers
Steven R Gundry
Originally published | 17 Mar 2018 | Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2018;35:A309
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Tincup wrote:
thx1138 wrote:RI do remember that (: should fasting not be a strategy if numbers rise like that? I love fasting I usually do OMAD and OMAD every other day
Pat,

I did not mean to imply fasting is a bad strategy, only that it will change the lipid numbers. All the data on high lipids being bad are from people eating SAD, so don't really know what they mean for a carnivore. I'm not aware of anyone who thinks fasting leads to more heart disease.

If you look at the Raggi paper, people with less than 15% annual increase in calcium volume (not the Agatston score) have nearly the same heart disease risk as those with a zero score. I'm interpreting that you were 45 in 2015 with the 112.94 score. That is a material score at that relatively young age. Repeating the CAC to see what your intervention has done would be useful information.
Tincup
E3,E4
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

well after listening to Dr William Davis I do feel better he talks about how Total and LDL are basically worthless values to predict anything, and my HDL and Trigs although not in the ideal range yet they are trending that way and my A1C and fasting glucose is too, Ted Naiman has my values for metabolic syndrome in the ok range on A1C, Trigs and HDL. I took the NMR test yesterday and am waiting for results, Davis talks about going over a net carb limit of 15 can even skew the NMR for weeks, I have been cheating a little bit with One bars so we will see I guess might be a need to be more strict and then retest , but I have moved from being horrified to feeling slightly better and know that if I continue low carb with high protein and limit saturated fat I can improve those numbers even better (A1C, Trigs and HDL) and Ted naiman approach kind of goes that way and actually really lines up with Gundry reccomendations for APOe4 patients during those AHA abstract trials which makes me feel I am on the right track as well and Davis is pretyy much in line with those Gundry AHA abstracts as well even with the supplements, I am do for that CAC (its been 5 years) which William Davis pretty which pioneered getting out more mainstream when I get that NMR I will post it Thanks again
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

thx1138 wrote:Carnivore for about 3-4 months, just started switching to leaner meats towards the end not APOE 4/4 but genetically have PPARA, FTO and a couple of other genes like 4/4's...kinda bummed out about these numbers but not really because I knew what the saturatd fats would do in the strip steaks I was eating and ground beef with occasional bacon, I lost about 40 pounds on this way of eating but have low energy, just don't know where to go from here no carnivore is so simple I love it, I was doing OMAD as well and OMAD every other day ...
Lipid Panel
NAME VALUE REFERENCE RANGE
F Cholesterol, Total 569 H <200 (mg/dL)
F Triglyceride 122 <150 (mg/dL)
F HDL 46 >40 (mg/dL)
F LDL Calculated 499 H <100 (mg/dL)
F Chol/HDL Ratio 12.5 H <5.0 (RATIO)
Hi Pat,

I envy your 40 lb. weight loss and your ability to do OMAD or OMAD every other day! And yet---as a 4/4 daughter of a father who died of cardiac arrest at age 67, with severe coronary artery and aortic valve disease--I worry about the appeal (which I share) of steaks, ground beef and bacon. Your statement that you "don't know where to go from here", and the mention you made last June of a "superficial blood clot" in your leg and back pain makes me think you're feeling ready for a change and wondering which path(s) to follow. I have no ability to give nutritional advice, but here's a few thoughts:

1) Ask your doctor for a referral for that CAC test and also a 3-in-1 scan of your peripheral arteries (ankles) abdominal aorta (risk of aneurysm) and carotid artery. It's similar in time and cost to the CAC scan. As a 50 year old, it's time to start planning for the next 40 years, and treat yourself to some updated knowledge, especially to be sure that leg clot was superficial and an outlier.

2) Order an Lp(a) test from one of the direct-to-consumer sites. It's not expensive, and researchers are still figuring out what it means. But it could be helpful to know if you (like me and I assume my dad) have an inherited risk of specific types of coronary artery or structural heart disease, which may influence how much saturated fat from meat and smoked foods you decide to have.

3) You have met some great goals (weight loss, change in SAD diet, etc) yet have reduced energy and are ready for some changes. Have you considered consulting with a functional nutritionist, or a health coach with nutritional certification who would take your interests and goals as their starting point? If so, you can find some of those folks on our Wiki site ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches and through other sources.

Enjoy being 50 and having decades to fine-tune your health!
4/4 and still an optimist!
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

Thanks

My back has always been screwed up I have some degeneration, the superficial clot was not a clot not sure what it was actually

I don't really ask my doctor anything he is a standard of care guy, so I take my own CAC I am do for one I have had one about 5 years ago

NMR Test has been ordered waiting for results

No real functional doctors near me and if there are its all out of pocket, I had found a osteopath which was better and covered under insurance but she moved

I believe Ted Naiman may be a easier path for me and falls right in line with Gundry AHA as well, lean meats some greens and fats (unsaturated mostly) so less ribeye and less bacon and more venison which I really love

I plan to cut way back on saturated fats if my NMR is bad and if my NMR is good I will keep my diet the same until CAC and I also want to get a CIMT and then test again with NMR in a month

I feel low carb/zero carb moderate fat High protein will allways be the way I just need to navigate the fine details of what that is composed of because unfortunatly it cant be buttter, ribeyes, bacon and ribs which I wish it could be but I think my genes say no

Thanks I will be posting NMR as soon as I get results for input I will say it again I find this community jammed with knowledge and no shortage of helpful people, I found my way here with my genes issues with saturated fats although not 4/4 they are similiar but led me here which is great
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

so here is the nmr which as I read this is not good right time to do some changes? I need to start to follow APOE4 guidlines from Gundry Protocol, tincup any insight?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

thx1138 wrote:so here is the nmr which as I read this is not good right time to do some changes? I need to start to follow APOE4 guidelines from Gundry Protocol, tincup any insight?
The low HDL-c, compared with high Tg is not great. Most folks on keto will have the Tg/HDL-c ratio <=1 or in that ballpark. If high, can be an indication of insulin resistance. Your large quantity of small LDL-P is also troubling.

What kind of (even traditional lipid numbers - the basic set) did you have before going carnivore?

Don't recall, are you still losing a bunch of weight?
Tincup
E3,E4
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

yes losing bunch of wieght I used to be 240 now I am 208 and viseral fat is 11% now normal I am trying to find my nmr when I did keto other than that I dont have anymore NMR's this was taken in 2017
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

NF52 wrote:[
2) Order an Lp(a) test from one of the direct-to-consumer sites. It's not expensive, and researchers are still figuring out what it means.
I second this. Lp(a) is a known independent risk factor.

On your older NMR, the % of small LDL-P was dramatically lower.

My suggestion of Arthur Agatston is that this really is his specialty and he is in the low carb world. Your CAC of ~100 at 45 is worrying to me and I'd certainly like to know what it is today. If it is <200 today (which would be a 15% compound annual increase), then you are doing well and you can stay the course. If it is a lot higher, then it is time to figure out what to do to get the annual growth rate under 15%.
Tincup
E3,E4
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

But does LPa change? I thought it was genetic my last test of lpa I was 14 extremely low? Does it Chang or is this mostly a fixed number?