Hello & Surgery Prep

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
hollyb70
Contributor
Contributor

Hello & Surgery Prep

Post by hollyb70 »

Hello all!

My name is Holly and I am APOE 3/4. I was diagnosed in February with primary hyperparathyroidism. Due to C-19, my surgery was pushed several times. But, now I am heading to the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa for surgery on 7/8.

The surgery will be relatively short 13 minutes give or take. There is no tube for anesthesia. Of course, anesthesia is still a concern for me, as is the radioisotopes required for surgery. I have done two rounds of IV therapy (Myers Cocktail with glutathione push) - one last week and one yesterday.

I eat a clean keto-flex diet and follow Dr. Bredesen's protocol.
I sauna several times a week. I haven't really been working out since February due to severe heart palpitations, but hope to return post-surgery.
I work a part-time corporate job and am a yoga teacher (I teach 6 classes a week)
I am also a certified Health Coach and daily meditator

My daily supplements are:
Saccharomyces boulardii 10B CFU
Mega Sporebiotics
Magnesium Glycinate 400mg
Source Naturals Magtein
ALCAR 500 mg
Ubiquinol 200mg
ThornevResveraCel
PQQ 20 mg
Liposomal Vit C 3000mg
Adaptogen Blend
Liposomal Glutathione 500mg
Curcuminoids
Milk Thistle
Digestive Enzymes
GI Detox
Ionic Potassium
Pectasol-C 5g
Bio Sil
NAC 500mg
Thyroid Support
ProButyrate
Adrenal Cortex
Estrogen/Testosterone/DHEA/Progesterone - compounded lotion

In Daily Shake:
Hemp Protein
Collagen Protein
PC 4g
Cinnamon
Psyllium Husks
He Shou Wu
10 Mushroom Blend
Body Bio-Oil

My plan post-surgery is:

IV therapy immediately after surgery and the week following
Load ascorbic acid post-surgery (25,000mg per Orthomolecular Nutrition)
Colonic and Foot detox 48 hours later; foot detox weekly for 3 subsequent weeks
Sauna daily
A few rounds of PEMF therapy

Can anyone suggest any other therapies I should include? I really want to get the anesthesia and radioisotopes out of my system as quickly as possible. I am doing my best to keep my APOE genes off! I am welcome to any and all suggestions.
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello & Surgery Prep

Post by RAJ64 »

hollyb70 wrote:Hello all! My name is Holly and I am APOE 3/4. I was diagnosed in February with primary hyperparathyroidism. Due to C-19, my surgery was pushed several times. But, now I am heading to the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa for surgery on 7/8.... Can anyone suggest any other therapies I should include? I really want to get the anesthesia and radioisotopes out of my system as quickly as possible. I am doing my best to keep my APOE genes off! I am welcome to any and all suggestions.
Welcome to the ApoE4.info forum, hollyb70! It is a pleasure to meet you! My name is Rachel and I am a greeter of new folks here on the forum. Thank you for all of the information you have shared about your hyper-parathyroid condition and upcoming surgery.

You seem to have a fantastic handle on taking care of yourself. I hope others will offer additional advice for detoxing after surgery. The only other things I can think of are to be sure to mitigate stress as much as possible and set yourself up for long, deep sleep nightly by utilizing good sleep hygiene practices. Reducing stress and maximizing restful sleep are super important for supporting efficient detoxification.

Since you are new to the site, I would like to take this opportunity to share a few resources with you.

How To Get the Most Out of the Site is a good place to start. It will help you familiarize yourself with the way the site is structured.

A forum can be a confusing place to find information on a specific topic. Using the Search function helps you find previous conversations or threads on topics that interest you. We encourage people to post to previous topics, even if they haven't been active for a while. It gets conversations going and often promotes new ways of looking at an issue. In addition, you can search for a specific thread topic by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar at the top of the page. How To Search the ApoE4 Site

Quoting someone in a post facilitates conversation between members. It triggers an email to the forum member that you are quoting and gives that person a link to log on and open the ApoE4.info website right to your comment. So if you would like to "tag" someone in a post, here are the directions for how to do that: How To Use the Quote Function

Please don't hesitate to reach out with more questions and let us know how you are doing when you get a chance! Best to you as you navigate this health challenge. Sending healing thoughts your way... :)
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
hollyb70
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hollyb70 »

Hi Rachel. Thank you very much! I was a member once before (when I learned of my APOE) but because I never posted it purged me from the system. :-) I did search for surgery prep, but did not find anything. I will look through your links, in case of user error.
Thank you again!
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

hollyb70 wrote:Hi Rachel. Thank you very much! I was a member once before (when I learned of my APOE) but because I never posted it purged me from the system. :-) I did search for surgery prep, but did not find anything. I will look through your links, in case of user error. Thank you again!
Welcome back, holllyb70! You have a lot of helpful knowledge under the hood already, ;) but maybe over the next week or so, someone else will chime in. I searched as well and didn't turn up anything relevant. It's a large database, though, and many knowledgeable people contribute as time permits. :D
RAJ64, BSN, RN
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Search for "anesthesia" and you'll see several discussions about that.

I'd also make sure that none of your supplements will cause excess bleeding, so you can stop them now.

Good luck with the surgery.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

hollyb70 wrote:Hello all!

My name is Holly and I am APOE 3/4. I was diagnosed in February with primary hyperparathyroidism. Due to C-19, my surgery was pushed several times. But, now I am heading to the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa for surgery on 7/8....
Can anyone suggest any other therapies I should include? I really want to get the anesthesia and radioisotopes out of my system as quickly as possible. I am doing my best to keep my APOE genes off! I am welcome to any and all suggestions.
Hi Holly!

I couldn't help looking up a description of your surgery and discovered that it was developed in Tampa by Dr. Norman in the 1990's--so you are clearly going to the experts in the Norman Parathyroid Center next week! I have had radioisotopes for PET scans as part of a clinical trial of healthy people with ApoE 4/4 and was told that they are out of the body within 24 hours. That seems to be what the information in your case would suggest also. As for keeping those ApoE 3/4 genes off--they might be the ones giving you great organizational and planning skills, and the ability to understand topics that would intimidate many. ApoE 4 has been associated with better verbal learning and "executive function" skills.

It sounds like your anesthesia will be "light" and you will be alert minutes after the surgery is over--that is not at all linked to the type of post-anesthesia delirium that is seen in patients with diagnosed dementia and in some with possible hypoxia from long stretches on a ventilator.

I would suggest letting both your surgeon and anesthesiologist know both names and dosage of supplements you take now and what you plan to take afterwards, just in case, for example, ascorbic acid could irritate your throat, esophagus or stomach. Hope you're back to yoga classes soon!
4/4 and still an optimist!
hollyb70
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hollyb70 »

SusanJ wrote:Search for "anesthesia" and you'll see several discussions about that.

I'd also make sure that none of your supplements will cause excess bleeding, so you can stop them now.

Good luck with the surgery.

Thank you - I sure will!
hollyb70
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hollyb70 »

NF52 wrote:
hollyb70 wrote:Hello all!

My name is Holly and I am APOE 3/4. I was diagnosed in February with primary hyperparathyroidism. Due to C-19, my surgery was pushed several times. But, now I am heading to the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa for surgery on 7/8....
Hi Holly!

I couldn't help looking up a description of your surgery and discovered that it was developed in Tampa by Dr. Norman in the 1990's--so you are clearly going to the experts in the Norman Parathyroid Center next week! I have had radioisotopes for PET scans as part of a clinical trial of healthy people with ApoE 4/4 and was told that they are out of the body within 24 hours. That seems to be what the information in your case would suggest also. As for keeping those ApoE 3/4 genes off--they might be the ones giving you great organizational and planning skills, and the ability to understand topics that would intimidate many. ApoE 4 has been associated with better verbal learning and "executive function" skills.

It sounds like your anesthesia will be "light" and you will be alert minutes after the surgery is over--that is not at all linked to the type of post-anesthesia delirium that is seen in patients with diagnosed dementia and in some with possible hypoxia from long stretches on a ventilator.

I would suggest letting both your surgeon and anesthesiologist know both names and dosage of supplements you take now and what you plan to take afterwards, just in case, for example, ascorbic acid could irritate your throat, esophagus or stomach. Hope you're back to yoga classes soon!

Thank you. Yes, I picked them for that reason. :-) Being holistically minded, I am not sure I trust that the radioisotopes will be removed in less than 24 hours, hence my desire to "detox". I already have heavy metal toxicity and do not want to add to that burden even though I know this will to some degree.
I will be back to teaching by 7/11! Because of the nature of the surgery, it allows a return to normal activity quickly. Thank you again for your reply! I really appreciate your insights.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

[quote="hollyb70"] now I am heading to the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa for surgery on 7/8.
Hi hollyb70, Today is the day of your surgery. Hoping all goes well for you and that you breeze through this.
I looked over the list that you provided in you post and to me it seems that your lifestyle and supplements definitely support detoxification.
You've got it covered.
Sending best wishes!
floramaria
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health