Plasma ApoE Levels and Risk of Dementia—You Are the Company You Keep

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Plasma ApoE Levels and Risk of Dementia—You Are the Company You Keep

Post by thumperama »

“The findings by Koch et al1 therefore raise the possibility that composition of the HDL-associated proteome may be a key determinant of apoE-associated risk of AD and all-cause dementia. Identifying HDL-associated protein cargo and apoE-interacting proteins in HDL fractions may hence provide further insights into the role of APOE in AD pathogenesis.“

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2768100
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Plasma ApoE Levels and Risk of Dementia—You Are the Company You Keep

Post by SusanJ »

I read about this yesterday and found the HDL and apoC3 level connection interesting.

Here's the full text for the Koch research related to cognitive effects and their earlier work on the apoE, HDL and apoC3 connection.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

SusanJ wrote:I read about this yesterday and found the HDL and apoC3 level connection interesting.

Here's .... their earlier work on the apoE, HDL and apoC3 connection.
That's a great paper. Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure you already know about the Krauss paper (Faghihina, Krauss 2012) indicating a high SFA diet leads to higher ApoC3 content in LDL particles vs. a lower SFA diet.

I also jotted down this paper a few years ago but never read it fully:

J Nutr Biochem. 2012 Dec;23(12):1609-16. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2011.11.003. Epub 2012 Mar 22.
Docosahexaenoic acid suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes.
Chen YJ, Chen CC, Li TK, Wang PH, Liu LR, Chang FY, Wang YC, Yu YH, Lin SP, Mersmann HJ, Ding ST.

It seemed to indicate that a diet higher in DHA content (this is in pigs, mind you) lowered ApoC3 activity.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

aphorist wrote:I'm sure you already know about the Krauss paper (Faghihina, Krauss 2012) indicating a high SFA diet leads to higher ApoC3 content in LDL particles vs. a lower SFA diet.
Missed that one. Thanks for the reference. Saturated fat does bad things to my lipids, so I'm definitely interested in reading that.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

SusanJ wrote: Missed that one. Thanks for the reference. Saturated fat does bad things to my lipids, so I'm definitely interested in reading that.
Faghihina, Krauss (2012) Effects of Dietary saturated fat on LDL subclasses and apolipoprotein CIII in men

Focus on table #5
In the setting of moderate carbohydrate intake, HSF vs. LSF intake significantly increased LDL total mass concentration by 15.2% as well as LDL apoCIII content by 33.5% (Table 5). The change in LDL mass was attributable to significant increases in the mass concentrations of LDL subclasses I, II and III by 19.0, 20.1 and 16.5%, respectively, but was significantly correlated only with changes in LDL III (r = 0.65, P = 0.01) (data not shown). The relative enrichment of apoCIII per apoB in total LDL tended to increase with HSF vs. LSF intake (P = 0.07) (data not shown).
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

“The findings by Koch et al1 therefore raise the possibility that composition of the HDL-associated proteome may be a key determinant of apoE-associated risk of AD and all-cause dementia. Identifying HDL-associated protein cargo and apoE-interacting proteins in HDL fractions may hence provide further insights into the role of APOE in AD pathogenesis.“
Good to see you posting, thumperama. Great find! This seems to build on and further refine the work of both Rasmussen and also Goodenowe as plasmalogen is a proxy for APOE.
I'm sure you already know about the Krauss paper (Faghihina, Krauss 2012) indicating a high SFA diet leads to higher ApoC3 content in LDL particles vs. a lower SFA diet...It seemed to indicate that a diet higher in DHA content (this is in pigs, mind you) lowered ApoC3 activity.
Waves, aphorist. This seems to support what we already know about E4; less SFA, more DHA, right? Additionally, those of us genetically blessed with helpful ABCA1 snips should benefit from this one. High HDL is generally indicative of this attribute, but the curious can "browse raw data" on 23&Me and simply plug in ABCA1 to see all of your snips.