cholesterol and steroidogenesis pathways

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

cholesterol and steroidogenesis pathways

Post by MadScientist »

Hi,

If total cholesterol increases steadily over several years, and pregnenolone remains bottom of the barrel-low (along with other sex-hormones) what would be the location of the metabolic defect? Mitochondria? Adrenal issues? It appears that non-HDL cholesterol increased.

There are no ovaries, and hormone supplements have been used, though not perfectly. Only recently found a ReCode practitioner.

Thoughts?
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: cholesterol and steroidogenesis pathways

Post by Julie G »

How is your stress level? Cortisol is well known to interfere with hormone production.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MadScientist wrote:Hi,

If total cholesterol increases steadily over several years, and pregnenolone remains bottom of the barrel-low (along with other sex-hormones) what would be the location of the metabolic defect? Mitochondria? Adrenal issues? It appears that non-HDL cholesterol increased.

There are no ovaries, and hormone supplements have been used, though not perfectly. Only recently found a ReCode practitioner.

Thoughts?
My thoughts, knowing nothing about this other than I also had bottom of the barrel pregnenolone (two in a row to verify), are to bring up the pregnenolone and then compare hormone levels as a really basic start. I didn't have baselines of my other hormones before and after supplementing pregnenolone, but my pregnenolone responded well to cheap 10 mg/day upon repeated repeat testing.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

Thanks Julie G: I heavy and unavoidable career stress. I want to quit....maybe soon. Thanks Circular: My MD recently put me on 75 mg micronized pregnenolone, but haven't retested yet.
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MadScientist wrote:My MD recently put me on 75 mg micronized pregnenolone, but haven't retested yet.
Thanks for mentioning the micronized option. I've never heard of that. Since my levels are fine on non-micronized 10 mg (although they could go a little higher maybe), I wonder if this would be preferable, maybe better absorbed where it needs to be to do its work as opposed to just raising serum levels?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

The advertising says for better absorption and utilization, developed by MD's. I should add that my MD directions are 1 capsule, 5x/week. They run about $0.30 per capsule.
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs