The MIND Diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: The MIND Diet

Post by Harrison »

I want to second what Susan said that we are all differently sized people, and throw in that we burn energy at different rates too. The place where I exercise has a scale made by https://www.inbodyusa.com/that claims it can measure basal metabolic rate by running a low grade electric current through you (I can't even feel it). It tells me that my basal metabolic rate is around 1650 kcal. This actually seems accurate in the long run, because if I go way over 1650 calories, I my weight creeps up, and I go under 1650, my weight then creeps back down.

That is a long-winded way of saying that you should eat the amount needed to maintain a healthy weight and not feel hungry. I myself avoid grains because they make me wicked hungry about 2-4 hours after I eat them, particularly if it is before 4pm. I think that those cravings would lead me to consume a lot of unnecessary extra calories. I don't actually know how many servings of vegetables I eat. I just know what size salad to make.
mimik67
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mimik67 »

Lots of great comments here. One thing to consider about whole grains and legumes is that if you have Altz Type 3 concerns which involve CIRS markers, the CIRS is a multi system, multi- symptom illness which means exposure to biotoxins from water damaged buildings (mold) or lyme bugs or other, suppresses melanocyte stimulating hormone or MSH:

MSH - Melanocyte Stimulating Hormone
Normal Range: 35-81 pg/mL

Alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) has multiple anti-inflammatory and neurohormonal regulatory functions, exerting regulatory control on peripheral cytokine release, as well as on both anterior and posterior pituitary function.

In mold illness or CIRS (Which many type 3 Altzheimers patients present with the same markers and may have biotoxin exposure and/or MARCONS (mulit antibiotic resistant coagulase negative staff) , MSH will be too low in over 95% of patients. This means increased susceptibility to mold illness, ongoing fatigue, pain, hormone abnormalities, mood swings, and much more. MSH is a hormone, called a regulatory neuropeptide, and it controls many other hormones, inflammation pathways, and basic defenses against invading microbes. Without MSH, bad things happen; chronic sleep disorders with non-restful sleep develop, and endorphin production is reduced, so chronic pain follows.

This is the long way of saying that in Type 3s likely the gut is extremely compromised. So this means many Type 3's have significant dysbiosis, candida infections, gut infections including SIBO. This means WHOLE GRAINS AND BEANS are really a no-go until the CIRS-like symptoms and labs are addressed in treatment.
3,4 but no family history of Altzheimers. However, mother likely had CIRS
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

SarahAnne,

In previous posts I've explained how I dehydrate, powder and encapsulate a variety of greens. I use it as an addition to eating fresh greens, not as a substitute. It's handy if you are too busy or traveling and can't eat enough of the fresh.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

LBKnudson wrote:SarahAnne,

In previous posts I've explained how I dehydrate, powder and encapsulate a variety of greens. I use it as an addition to eating fresh greens, not as a substitute. It's handy if you are too busy or traveling and can't eat enough of the fresh.
I can see that you've been very active in reading and posting on the forum, LBKnudson! We're always glad when new users re-activate forum threads with their own ideas and experiences.

One important step is needed to send an email notification to the person you're quoting of your reply:

Click the quotation mark icon in the upper righthand corner of that person's post. That brings their whole post over to a "post a reply" page, with "quote" brackets around it . When you select "Submit", those brackets create the white text box that your post is in above my reply.

Since SarahAnne wrote her post in March 2017 (you can see the posting date next to the user's name in any post), it's likely that she hasn't checked this topic in a while. So here's her post, slightly edited to reduce its size, quoted by me, with hopes that she may want to update us on how she's doing 3 years later!
SarahAnne wrote: My question,regarding MIND or Wahl or whatever protocol people are doing, does anyone have any tricks regarding how to consume such high quantities of veggies? ...Is there any thread on this website that provides possible product recommendations and/or recipes, and/or links? I'm not sure I could ever ingest so many vegetables and greens. I could use suggestions:)
If you want to keep track of topics on which you've posted, you can click on the wrench icon below the title of your post and select "Subscribe". That will automatically send you an email anytime someone posts on the same topic, whether they quote you or not. For other tips, check out "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website
4/4 and still an optimist!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

LBKnudson wrote:SarahAnne,

Hi LB!

Just want to ask that you use the quotation mark at the far right of the group of icons to quote someone. When you use the exclamation point, it means you’re reporting a post to the Moderators for violating a rule.

It’s like sending an email to the Moderator instead of the person you want. So always look for the single quotation mark (like an apostrophe) at the end of the line!
Thanks!
4/4 and still an optimist!
mb00
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mb00 »

Hi mimik I had a question regarding your MSH comment. I had the battery of tests for CIRS done and one thing I noticed was that the reference range people keep mentioning on MSH doesn't align with what I'm seeing.

My MSH came back at 19 on labcorp with a reference range of 0-40. Everywhere I look online there seems to be a much higher reference range which I believe originated with Dr. Shoemaker. Given the upper bound of the reference is 40, I'm struggling to see how that accords with his view.

Below is a link to the labcorp test where you can see the reference range as well.

https://www.labcorp.com/tests/010421/me ... ormone-msh

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
mb00
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mb00 »

Hi mimik I had a question regarding your MSH comment. I had the battery of tests for CIRS done and one thing I noticed was that the reference range people keep mentioning on MSH doesn't align with what I'm seeing.

My MSH came back at 19 on labcorp with a reference range of 0-40. Everywhere I look online there seems to be a much higher reference range which I believe originated with Dr. Shoemaker. Given the upper bound of the reference is 40, I'm struggling to see how that accords with his view.

Below is a link to the labcorp test where you can see the reference range as well.

https://www.labcorp.com/tests/010421/me ... ormone-msh

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

This is the long way of saying that in Type 3s likely the gut is extremely compromised. So this means many Type 3's have significant dysbiosis, candida infections, gut infections including SIBO. This means WHOLE GRAINS AND BEANS are really a no-go until the CIRS-like symptoms and labs are addressed in treatment.
I recommend the book Total Gut Balance, which examines the mycobiome--i.e. the fungi (such as candida) in the gut. The foods to exclude completely are not whole grains or beans at all, according to him. They are:

Sugar (agave, artificial sweeteners, beet sugar, brown rice syrup, brown sugar, cane sugar, coconut sugar, corn syrup, date sugar, glucose, imitation maple syrup, maple sugar, molasses, raw sugar, sugar syrup, so yeah, every kind)

Refined grains (any pasta or bread that is not made from 100% whole grains. No baked goods with sugar. No white rice, no instant quick oats)

Vegetable oils (corn oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, all-purpose vegetable oil)

Processed, packaged foods with more than three ingredients.

Dr. Mahmoud Ghannum recommends eating protein at every meal, including all types of legumes and soy protein in the form of tofu, tempeh, etc. He recommends whole foods including 100% whole grains at every meal.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

In reference to reducing Insulin Resistance however it was recommended we avoid grains. Are whole-grains ok but grains in general no good? Or should we take note of the MIND diet minus the grains part?
If you are doing a plant-based keto, then whole grains are probably difficult to incorporate. I'd avoid refined grains for sure. But generally speaking, whole grains help prevent diabetes, as a recent study showed:
Higher consumption of total whole grains and several commonly eaten whole grain foods, including whole grain breakfast cereal, oatmeal, dark bread, brown rice, added bran, and wheat germ, was significantly associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. These findings provide further support for the current recommendations of increasing whole grain consumption as part of a healthy diet for the prevention of type 2 diabetes.
Link to study is here.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR