Celebration Thread! Homotaurine/Tramiprosate supplement

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Celebration Thread! Homotaurine/Tramiprosate supplement

Post by J11 »

What I want to illustrate in these posts is how large of a CDR-sb is typically expected in AD over a 2.5 year span.
From the previous quote, they said that high dose 150-150 44s in the extension to week 130 declined by ~1.0 CDR-sb points. Yet, we can see in these figures that a much larger decline typically occurs in AD. The first figure below is from a study of ~600 AD patients
so this is largish. Not sure, though, how many 44s were included.

All right when you magnify the first figure you find that at week 130 there was a typical decline of 2.6 CDR-sb points with
44s. The previously quoted figure with HT in the combined extension sample for the 44s was ~1.0.

This is starting to become interesting.
Here is the reference for the first figure below.
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature24016/figures/12
Perhaps someone could check what the severity of these patients was.
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature24016#Fig12

Hmm, some of these other figures are also interesting.
Some of them show that there are "fast" decliners; they mean fast.
For example below we see in mild AD those with high tau can decline by 8 CDR-SB at the 2 year point.
That is remarkably rapid.
Perhaps if Alzheon could genetically characterize a subgroup with super rapid decline, they might find
that their product worked especially well for them (possibly a subgroup within the 44s or others).
This is their whole strategy go precision medicine: It's a good idea. But why not take it to the next level?
Find another subgroup that has even better response than the 44s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU2C_ABZsaU
cdr years2.png
cdrfast.jpg
CDR-SB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J11 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

cdrtrial.png
cdryears.jpg
Probably best to add in the urls now before I forget where all these figures were sourced from.
https://alzres.biomedcentral.com/articl ... /figures/2
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598- ... =hootsuite
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Thanks for this thread, J11. Really interesting and exciting!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

This figure that I posted with so many others is quite impressive.
So impressive that I will repost it.
Look at how hippocampal volume actually increased on an absolute basis
in those treated with trami. This is highly encouraging. A treatment that
can help regrow damaged hippocampi is obviously of near central importance
in AD. Perhaps a treatment whose central mechanism of action could be developed.
Such a treatment might have very substantial cognitive effects.

Current treatments might already be pushing up against the maximum benefit that
they might achieve. Developing neurorestorative therapies might become the next
focus of research.

hippo.png
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Flora, thank you very much for your comment.

I realize that the forum thought leaders are likely not impressed by my tabloid headlines,
though sometimes things need to be stated without equivocation. After enough perhaps, ifs and
howevers many people just give up. Quite a few scientific arguments have lasted for over a century
and could easily become eternal.

Nevertheless, there are now some direct statements about
AD treatments that can be made: I have tried to make them in my series of Celebration threads.
We can clearly see a wave of AD treatment on the horizon and
it feels great! There is about to be a life shift for so many millions of dementia families. When
this is even further baked into the cake, perhaps an entire bandwagon cheering section will
join the celebration. Everyone wants to be there for the good times and with AD the good
times appear to be quite near.
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

Hi J11,
Thank you so much for posting the research on Homotaurine! I've been thinking about it for the last few days, and googling to find out whether it is synthetic or natural. I can't find very much. Supersmart Homotaurine does not list it's active ingredients nor provide testing results for heavy metal or toxic compounds. I did find how Homotaurine is prepared (link provided),
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2010096925A1/en. Do you have any information on the product's active ingredients and quality testing? Do you know which seaweed strains are most high in homotaurine? I'd like to turn to natural sources.
Thank you again,
Donna
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Rosemary, thank you for commenting to the thread.

I bought some homotaurine from SuperSmart. The problem oftentimes in medicine is that these non-patent type products have little if any marketing behind them. People will pay upwards of tens of thousands of dollars on a pharmaceutical product which might be inferior to somethings such as homotaurine simply because they had not heard of it. I wonder if the idea emerged from the simple observation that Asians eat seaweed and have low rates of dementia?

It is quite surprising that a nutritional supplement such as homotaurine could
have essentially a global monopoly, though when a company spends hundreds of millions of dollars in clinical trials there is a sense
of intellectual ownership.

I think SuperSmart did provide COA, though it was quite vague. The certificate only said that they bought x number of thousands of gram of homotaurine which appeared to be another company within their corporate structure. One would have liked to see the chemical readout.

My suspicion would be that the chemical was synthesized and not derived from seaweed, though this is only a hunch. Does anyone know the homotaurine content of seaweed? Perhaps it would be even better to simply eat seaweed. Research has found that sometimes whole food has more beneficial health properties than simply popping supplements. Not sure if it would be reaslistic
to consume ~300 mg of homotaurine as seaweed.
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

J11, I looked further down on their website and found additional information about their Homotaurine supplement:

"Homotaurine, or 3-amino-1-propanesulfonic acid, is a natural-source organic compound found in certain seaweeds. Though chemically similar to taurine, with only one additional carbon atom in its chain, it offers cognitive protection that taurine does not provide. Structurally similar to the neurotransmitter GABA, it also has gabaergic effects and may be useful as an anti-convulsant."

It appears to be natural. I would buy it in a heartbeat if they shared information regarding their quality testing. I think I'll research which seaweeds are high in homotaurine. If I find anything of value, I will post on this thread. Thanks again,
Donna
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

I am 4/4, 80 years old, and was diagnosed with A Fib several years ago. I did my research and started on taurine twice/day. I have done other things of course but do not now have A Fib to my knowledge, see the cardiologist annually for a chat (refused meds) and feel I am doing fine. Of course I take seriously all the other suggestions but I've often thought that maybe the taurine was very helpful to me in cognitive and heart healthy ways.
DoubleBond
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DoubleBond »

rrmolo, that's very interesting - how much taurine have you been taking, and for how long?

Me and my wife are taking 2g x 2 daily. Thinking now about adding homotaurine.