New member, caregiver to ApoE3/4 spouse with MCI

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

New member, caregiver to ApoE3/4 spouse with MCI

Post by redryder »

What a wonderful resource this is! We started our journey about a year and a half ago, when we heard of, ordered, read, and have been trying to implement (the recode protocol in) Dr. Bredesen's first book. We just (last coupla weeks) got his second book, and are in the throes of trying our best to implement the macronutrient ratio we developed from the guidance in the book and using calculator.net. We've been trying to stay on the Ketoflex 12/3 diet (I'm doing it along with her, since it's not inconceivable that I might begin to experience some SCI or MCI, and it'll be easier for her to stay on course if I'm also doing what I'm asking (and helping) her to do) She has had a cognoscopy, from which we learned she is ApoE3/4, and gluten-sensitive. I'm having a really hard time implementing Dr B's recommendation to obtain 75% of daily caloric load from fats. Any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks to one and all for this forum, and for any responses. Ciao, Bambini! :D
Caregiver to 3/4 spouse w/MCI; following ReCoDe protocol as best we can (bofus)...
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: New member, caregiver to ApoE3/4 spouse with MCI

Post by Tincup »

redryder wrote: I'm having a really hard time implementing Dr B's recommendation to obtain 75% of daily caloric load from fats. Any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks to one and all for this forum, and for any responses. Ciao, Bambini! :D
Welcome!

A lot of people put extra virgin olive oil on a big salad, if that works for you. The idea is really to be in mild ketosis. Do you test for ketones? Avoiding processed, sugary and starchy carbs are usually the place to start. Protein is nutrient dense and less likely to inhibit ketosis. I've been keto adapted since 2009 and don't usually calculate macros, but maintain mild ketosis. Exercise and a long daily fast/shorter eating window, can also be useful for this purpose.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jenny B
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jenny B »

redryder wrote:What a wonderful resource this is! We started our journey about a year and a half ago, when we heard of, ordered, read, and have been trying to implement (the recode protocol in) Dr. Bredesen's first book...She has had a cognoscopy, from which we learned she is ApoE3/4, and gluten-sensitive. I'm having a really hard time implementing Dr B's recommendation to obtain 75% of daily caloric load from fats. Any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks to one and all for this forum, and for any responses. Ciao, Bambini! :D
We are so grateful that you found us, Bambini. There are so many awesome people and resources here, so please allow me to show you how to get around the community. One great resource is the Primer written by a doctor who is herself, ApoE 4/4. It is an introduction to ApoE4 and possible prevention strategies. Also, the How-To Guide can help you navigate the ApoE4.info website. And theWIKI page should be really helpful with sections containing information on insulin resistance, ketosis and much more! We hope you love it here and find all you need.

Warmly,

Jenny
Jenny B, ND
FMCHC, NBC-HWC
ApoE4.info Sr Support Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Naturopathic Doctor
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

You might want to look at our Wiki on ketosis.
Tincup
E3,E4
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

Thanks, Tincup, and to you, too, Jenny BC !! I appreciate your responses. Yup, I use large amounts of EVOO, on all sorts of things. I haven't yet tested for ketones , nor has Marion, but I have purchased the Keto Mojo monitoring system. Marion is needle- and pain-aversive, but I'll start testing (on myself) as soon as I can eat up all the high carb and gluten-containing snax I've accumulated (I'm a compulsive bargain purchaser, so when I saw a great deal on Cheezits, BRM puffed corn, Triscuits, etc, I couldn't resist buying them.... pantry storage space was not an issue!). Marion just saw a post by Dr. Mark Hyman (if you haven't seen his posts on Facebook, I highly recommend them to you) recommending (black) olives as a snack food instead of those seductively delicious potato chips (which, thank god, we've divorced ourselves from completely). I've been eating pork rinds for years now, and their (Keto) nutritional profile is excellent: a half ounce (which is a lot of individual pork rind "pieces") has @ 5 grams of fat, ZERO carbs, and @ 8 grams of protein). They have just what I'm looking for: salty, crunchy, and high -- but not "greasy" -- fat! I'm just now beginning to explore the facets of this forum, so pardon me if I commit any faux pas! ("Bambini" is Italian for "children"..... I was saying, in effect, "So long, kids!)
Caregiver to 3/4 spouse w/MCI; following ReCoDe protocol as best we can (bofus)...
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

Looking for some input on the following diet questions: we've entirely -- and successfully -- eliminated processed sugar from our diet, and occasionally drink kombucha, among other things (not fruit juice, nor wine nor beer). What are your thoughts on drinking commercially prepared kombucha (GT's and Synergy brands specifically) that is flavored (and yes, sweetened.... not overly, but substantially) with kiwi juice and raspberry juice? The sugars total about 18g in an 8 oz serving, and I wonder if we're fooling ourselves thinking this is a good substitute. Second, am I correct in thinking that hard cheeses are generally preferable to soft cheeses? If so, why is that and are there some cheeses that are definitely preferable to others? TIA for any and all answers :D .
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

redryder wrote:Looking for some input on the following diet questions: we've entirely -- and successfully -- eliminated processed sugar from our diet, and occasionally drink kombucha, among other things (not fruit juice, nor wine nor beer). What are your thoughts on drinking commercially prepared kombucha (GT's and Synergy brands specifically) that is flavored (and yes, sweetened.... not overly, but substantially) with kiwi juice and raspberry juice? The sugars total about 18g in an 8 oz serving, and I wonder if we're fooling ourselves thinking this is a good substitute. Second, am I correct in thinking that hard cheeses are generally preferable to soft cheeses? If so, why is that and are there some cheeses that are definitely preferable to others? TIA for any and all answers :D .
Hi redryder, I am more familiar with GTs kombucha than Synergy. Most GT flavors have 8 gr carbs per 8 oz serving. Some have only 6. I just went to a website (MyFood Diary) and found about 30 GT flavors listed. (It listed the Synergy line of GT's, but no separate Synergy brand.) With the exception of the kombuchas with Chia, at 12gr/ 8 ounce serving, only Mystic Mango and one of the grape flavors had 10 gr / servings.
My own strategy has been to decrease my intake. Where I used to drink a 16 ounce bottle at one sitting, now I drink between 4-8 ounces. I also select the flavors with fewer carbs, aiming for those with 6-8 for 8 once serving.
Since I limit my cheese intake overall and mainly use cheese as a condiment if at all, I tend to use hard cheeses like Reggiano parmesan which packs a lot of flavor into a small serving. I use goat and sheep milk cheeses ( made from A2 milk) to avoid potential inflammatory effects of most cow's milk cheeses (made from A1milk).
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

Thanks, Flora Maria! I appreciate your thoughtful response. I’m wondering if there are any commercially-prepared kombucha products that have no sweeteners? Might not taste that great without fruit purée flavors and sweeteners, huh? I really enjoy kimchee and sauerkraut for probiotics, and I’m working on getting Marion more accepting of them. Chopping kimchee (damn near pureeing it!) and using it as a relish seems to hit the spot, and cooking sauerkraut with pork chops as well (I know, it’s best not to cook it at all....). As for my earlier question addressed by several members above, I try to get bofus (that’s rural Southern patois for “both of us”) to use generous amounts of both EVOO and ghee wherever appropriate. I’ve also taken to eating a LOT of pesto! And I agree with you on the Parmigiano Reggiano. Don’t forget to vote, and please be safe!!✌️😊
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Greetings redryder! Eighten grams of sugar is too high! With careful label reading, I've found a few Kombucha brands with 4 to 6 grams of sugar per 16 oz serving. I like floramaria's suggestion of drinking less or consider cutting it with sparkling water, such as S. Pelligirno. It's been inspiring to watch your journey. Please keep sharing. :-)