Overmethylation and Heart Health

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Overmethylation and Heart Health

Post by Rainbow »

Due to my wacky genes, I currently take a bunch of supplements for methylation (methyl folate, B12, P5P, creatine and phosphatidylcholine). Although I'm 26 and in good shape, my homocysteine was once very high, which was what motivated me to start supplementing.

I have a suspicion that I might be overdoing the supplements. I've been experiencing some symptoms that I think might be related to overmethylation, but I'm unsure.

Most notably, I seem to have an elevated heart rate, insomnia, and some chest discomfort while running (three to five miles, three or four days a week). The chest discomfort happens from time to time when I inhale deeply. I had an ECG and an ultrasound done this morning, because I was worried, but everything seemed fine.

Is there any chance that this might be related to methylation, or do these symptoms sound like something else?
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Overmethylation and Heart Health

Post by SusanJ »

Rainbow wrote:Most notably, I seem to have an elevated heart rate, insomnia, and some chest discomfort while running (three to five miles, three or four days a week).
I don't know the amounts of each you are taking, but excess folate can certainly lead to insomnia, and most likely your elevated heart rate. I'd back that off first and see where you land on your symptoms.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

SusanJ wrote:I don't know the amounts of each you are taking, but excess folate can certainly lead to insomnia, and most likely your elevated heart rate. I'd back that off first and see where you land on your symptoms.
Thanks for the quick response. The methyl folate is 800 mcg, the B12 is 1000 mcg, the P5P is 20 mg and the creatine is 5 g. The phosphatidylcholine is specified as 650 mg "phospholipid complex". All daily.

I'll cut back on the methyl folate. I've been eating a fair amount of raw leafy greens recently.
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Rainbow wrote:The methyl folate is 800 mcg, the B12 is 1000 mcg, the P5P is 20 mg and the creatine is 5 g. The phosphatidylcholine is specified as 650 mg "phospholipid complex". All daily.
My own experience has been that I needed to adjust folate down as I added other methylation support. With that much creatine and PC, you might be ending up with excess SAMe from folate, because creatine and PC are reducing the need for the folate/SAMe in supplying the major methyltransferases PEMT and GAMT. SAMe then ends up being available to push other pathways.

I wish there was a simple formula with methylation problems, but there isn't. Just keep playing around with the amounts. Personally, I'd reduce the creatine next after a couple weeks of reduced folate if your symptoms don't resolve satisfactorily.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

SusanJ wrote:My own experience has been that I needed to adjust folate down as I added other methylation support. With that much creatine and PC, you might be ending up with excess SAMe from folate, because creatine and PC are reducing the need for the folate/SAMe in supplying the major methyltransferases PEMT and GAMT. SAMe then ends up being available to push other pathways.

I wish there was a simple formula with methylation problems, but there isn't. Just keep playing around with the amounts. Personally, I'd reduce the creatine next after a couple weeks of reduced folate if your symptoms don't resolve satisfactorily.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'll see how I feel in a few weeks and reduce the creatine if needed.
4/4
WillC
New User
New User

Post by WillC »

Can you explain creatine, I had no idea it was used for anything but weight lifting?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

"Most of your methylation is used to synthesize two molecules: creatine and phosphatidylcholine.

Creatine is best known for boosting muscular strength. Bodybuilders take it as a supplement to build muscle and many kinds of athletes take it to boost their power and performance. Less well known, creatine helps you make the stomach acid you need to digest your food, provides the energy you need to absorb the nutrients in your food, powers sperm as they swim up the vaginal canal, fuels the regeneration of healthy skin, and helps you see and hear."

- Chris Masterjohn
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/201 ... thylation/

So creatine is something your body normally produces and uses.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

WillC wrote:Can you explain creatine, I had no idea it was used for anything but weight lifting?
Hi WillC, In case you didn't see SusanJ's reply to your question, I have quoted you in this post so you'll be notified of the response.
Her response is just above this one from me.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health