Dr. Peter Attia podcast on Alzheimer’s disease prevention

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
ewayte
New User
New User

Dr. Peter Attia podcast on Alzheimer’s disease prevention

Post by ewayte »

Dr. Peter Attia has a new podcast: Alzheimer’s disease prevention—patient and doctor perspectives. He sits down with Lauren Miller Rogen and Richard Isaacson, M.D. to discuss Alzheimer's disease.

https://peterattiamd.com/laurenmillerro ... disaacson/ Dr. Isaacson had been a guest on Dr. Attia's podcast in 2018.
carrie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Peter Attia podcast on Alzheimer’s disease prevention

Post by carrie »

ewayte wrote:Dr. Peter Attia has a new podcast: Alzheimer’s disease prevention—patient and doctor perspectives. He sits down with Lauren Miller Rogen and Richard Isaacson, M.D. to discuss Alzheimer's disease.

https://peterattiamd.com/laurenmillerro ... disaacson/ Dr. Isaacson had been a guest on Dr. Attia's podcast in 2018.

Hello ewayte!
Thank you so much for your post. I enjoyed the original episode you referenced from 2018 and am excited to listen to the new discussion.

I see you've been a member of the community for a couple of years. While I am sure you've discovered a wealth of information on the site, I just wanted to share a few helpful links:

How-To Guide: is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote button (") when replying to a post. Using this button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps keep the conversation rolling.

Primer: In case you haven't seen it yet, the Primer is an insightful post written by a physician member of the community.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.
In the meantime. . .
Take care,
Carrie
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by broiler_x »

I listened to this over the weekend, and it is fantastic! A lot of ApoE4-specific content. It's quite long (>2 hours), but worth it.
Renlets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Renlets »

ewayte wrote:Dr. Peter Attia has a new podcast: Alzheimer’s disease prevention—patient and doctor perspectives. He sits down with Lauren Miller Rogen and Richard Isaacson, M.D. to discuss Alzheimer's disease.
Very interesting and encouraging, I loved the podcast. I wish I could have the support like this near me. Someone to help track every marker. It can be exhausting doing it all on your own, especially without all the resources and testing tools. I am glad though we have this forum. I love reading all the posts and suggested nuggets that are shared. Thank you.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

The podcast mentioned the Rosalynn Carter Institute programs for dementia caregivers:

https://www.rosalynncarter.org/programs ... -dementia/

They offer two programs:
  • RCI REACH (Resources Enhancing Alzheimer’s Caregiver Health) provides one-on-one coaching, either in-person through a network of agency partners, or virtually, serving caregivers wherever they live. REACH is delivered through 12 sessions over six months and comes with a comprehensive caregiver guide, with caregiver and coach working together to identify areas of challenge and develop sustainable solutions.
  • Dealing with Dementia is a four-hour workshop, paired with a comprehensive reference book, the Dealing with Dementia Guide. Taken together, the guide and workshop provide basic information on dementia, insights into the caregiving journey, and tips on things like dementia behavior management and developing a safe environment for someone with dementia.
Both REACH and Dealing with Dementia deal with stress management and help caregivers understand the importance of – and prioritize – their own self-care.
See the page for more specifics.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Thanks for posting, Brian!

A question for anyone here: Richard Isaacson mentions that he uses a particular brand of DHA for his apoe4 patients, but he doesn't say which one (for obvious reasons). Does anyone know what brand and kind that might be?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

https://thewomensalzheimersmovement.org ... oss-2-2-6/

Is this the guy?

2 mins in......Sherlocking skills required!!!

I'm not familiar with a lot of the supplement branding over there but I'm very confident someone will have this identified fairly quickly ;)
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Thanks, NewRon,

My doctor recommends Xymogen Monopure, which supposedly has 3x higher absorption. I wonder if that is what Dr. Isaacson recommends too.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Mindbender
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mindbender »

Funny, I came on this form looking for this exact thing. I believe they said that Lauren is taking 2000mg of DHA. I would love to know what it is!

edit: I just subscribed to Peter Attia's membership. It does say she takes 2000mg of DHA, but doesn't specify which brand. A study mentioned uses a supplier that does not sell to the public, as far as I can see, but the study did use DHA derived from algae. 1000mg x2 per day.
birdie18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by birdie18 »

Mindbender wrote:Funny, I came on this forum looking for this exact thing. ..Lauren takes 2000mg of DHA, derived from algae... Which brand?
Hi Mindbender,
You came to the right place! The APOE4.info forum thrives on community participation, including sharing experience from which many can benefit. We are all learning.
I'm glad you mentioned your subscription to Peter Attia's educational offerings. I was considering it and you reminded me to look into it further. He is very impressive in his understanding and teaching about the science of longevity. More specifically, to your question, I don't know what he says about sources of DHA but I can tell you in general that non-fish sources have mixed reviews as to their efficacy. Yet, fish oils are so laden with toxic metals and pollutants that it's important to buy from one of the few reputable companies that sell a cleaned product. I worry as to the sustainability of fish oil products.
For more information, you'll find the Primer is a ready source of contemporary thinking on the APOE4 gene. The How-To Guide tells how best to navigate the forum, post a message, and search herein. You are always welcome to introduce yourself in Our Stories. We'd love to get to know you better. Welcome aboard!
birdie18
APOE4.info Intern2020
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Naturopathic Physician
tweet: vis medicatrix naturae