Potential brain-health benefits of a walnut-enriched diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Potential brain-health benefits of a walnut-enriched die

Post by KatieS »

Lilly, I'll look for the sheep's yogurt and try it. Goat yogurt tasted too salty and gamey for me, but this sounds creamy smooth. Once you hit a new weight set point, exercise should prevent the regain.

Back to nuts, I gobble from my mixed nut container (10 walnuts, pecans, almonds,macadamia, one brazil nut and pumpkin seeds) after my workouts.

Should I be keeping these nuts refrigerated ?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yep, keep nuts and seeds refrigerated. They can go rancid. I usually freeze my nuts and seeds (including nut flours) and just take out what I need in the next week or so.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Well, I'd best put them in the frig, then. Thanks, all, and especially Susan for lighting the fire. My mom and husband are still partaking...and I really hope to be again soon.

Off, off, damned girth!
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hepoberman »

I have attempted to reintroduce Walnuts into my diet but every time, within a couple weeks, I end up with "swollen colon". There just doesn't seem to be a way to get my guts to process them without inflammation. This is because I have diverticulitis. No Walnuts for me. :cry:

I am convinced however, Walnuts are very good for us in modest quantities. (They are loaded with PUFA though and I think that makes it possible to over do it)

Hepoberman
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

LillyBritches wrote:Oh, and re the walnuts containing a high amount of ALA (alpha-linolenic (or lipoic) acid)
NB: α-lipoic acid is not α-linolenic acid.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

My mother said can you order me a can of walnuts because it is the fall and I need to eat walnuts. i said "you have a whole tree full of black walnuts out in your yard". She said "yes but they are hard to get into" and "what would the squirrels eat?" Apparently as a child they only ate nuts in the fall...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think of goat and sheep as dairy also, and unfortunately I react to goat like cow, even goat milk keifer. Haven't tried sheep ... the magic non-inflammatory, non-allergic, non-gut-disturbing dairy for me?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

You are totally right, Gilga. My bad! Mea maxima culpa. *hangs head in supplement shame*
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.