Copper...nuggets of wisdom

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Copper...nuggets of wisdom

Post by Gina99 »

In my effort to reduce sugar laden sodas I have been experimenting with different sparkling waters. In particular I really like San Pelligrino. I then read something about Uranium and dont give to infants. I did feel better after this. Or is that the placebo effect?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pellegrino
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

The EPA is in an open period until December 19th 2014 to determine the safe level of non radioactive strontium in drinking water. You can read more about this issue online.

Uranium has been determined to be safe by the EPA at 30 parts per billion. Will they reduce this number, who knows see Strontium above.

Personally if I saw one sold as no uranium and strontium in our drinking water and one with strontium and uranium included for free, I would buy the former. Obviously if the EPA is calling for a lower number they must be able to reduce the number or there is a cleaner puddle of water available to drink.

I just hate the thought of some study coming out saying don't drink the water in 2015 after I was glugging it down in 2014 based on the safe to drink 2013 study.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Ps. I looked at those San Pelegrino bottles of water at the local walmart earlier this year and my gut instinct was nope, so I took a pass on that opportunity to drink strontium. I did not know strontium was in it at the time, so the tally is gut 1, strontium zero.

My gut says that Gina 99 will survive.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Its not like I am guzzling jugs of mineral water, just saying they are tiny bottles, and on occasion it beats the sodas, etc. Getting use to low carb now looking for something bubbly without the alcohol or sugar. I thought the Li would be beneficial ;-)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Economical answer to needing the cold bubbly fix: sodastream machine with filtered/tap water (depending where you live), plus freshly squeezed lemon/lime.

Now someone will tell me there's a fishhook here....
rep
Contributor
Contributor

High Copper & High Ferritin - What to Do?

Post by rep »

My Serum Copper is 99 ug/dL.

My Serum Ferritin is 186 ng/mL.

I know the Copper is too high as an E4. What can I do to lower it? I do not take copper supplements and my water does not come from copper pipes. I did change my diet in January to include fish and shellfish and no other meat. Maybe the shellfish increased it, so I have cut back on that. But what else can I do? Are there any copper genes I can look up on Promethease?

I DO drink San Pelligrino water every night with dinner ever since January when I had to eliminate my nightly glass of red wine. The rest of the day I drink reverse osmosis water with Concentrace mineral drops added back in but at a lower concentration than recommended. We are on a well so we buy the reverse osmosis water in town and drive it home. (It is city water.)

I have no idea what the Ferritin is about. What can High Ferritin come from and how can I reduce it?

What are the dangers of these being high? I believe high copper is bad for E4s as far as dementia goes?

What are the dangers of high Ferritin? I imagine it might relate to cardiovascular problems, which I have.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Rep honey, my copper is too high as well. Nothing I've done has budged it. But IMO its small print.

The ferritin level in the blood reflects two separate things. Iron stores and inflammation. What is the range of your lab?
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

My Free Copper is too high at 31.8 per the calculation I did at this web-site: http://www.corepsych.com/2014/10/copper ... -biotypes/ Since my Copper is 99 and my Ceruloplasmin is 22.5 the Free Copper calculates at 31.81 and that is too high. Not good for E4s! I'm supposed to eat avocados and nuts and chocolate and all those are high in copper. I do not take any copper supplements and I take plenty of zinc and Vitamin C. What's a person to do?

To answer Stavia's question, the Ferritin reference range for my lab states 15 - 150 ng/mL and mine is 186.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Rep, you might want to check that you aren't a hemochromatosis carrier (rs1800562A and rs1799945G. Usually you have to be homozygous AA to develop the disease, but some think even rs1800562AG (like me), might increase iron absorption leading to higher ferritin levels (mine =21, but hematocrit runs in low 40s. Is your hematocrit high? My3/4 brother has both genes, which Promethease has his AD risks 37-fold higher because of this finding, but he is cognitively normal at 67.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Kitano -

Regarding my Ferritin:

rs1799945 is (-;-) I've never seen Promethease report that way. Does that mean it is CC, which means I don't have a problem?
Why don't they just state C;C?

I'm good on rs1800562 since I am GG.

My hematocrit is 41.6 g/dL (reference range 34 - 46.6) but I don't understand the significance. Is that high?
Thanks for the input.