Help for my sister

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Help for my sister

Post by Gina99 »

Stavia, I was wondering if the allergy was a true allergy tested as such, because I have been having a lot of foot sensitivities and did not test positive for any of the allergies. The allergist said they were not true allergies but perhaps sensitivities. I too cannot eat a lot of different fish. I have no problem with fresh flounder (Gulf of Mexico) and grill it and eat it without issue, every week. It has helped me a lot; I feel better. I have not been able to tolerate fish oil in any shape or form, I have regurgitation every time. Please let us know if your sister has any success if you wouldn't mind with the suggested products.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Gina. Yip true allergy. Huge generalised rash and angiooedema. Even touching fish.
She, me and my son have multiple IgE mediated drug and other allergies. We all have asthma. He has eosinophilic oesophagitis as well.
Me (anaphylaxis): penicillin, cephalosporins, nsaids, something unknown in vaccines, sulfites, cats n lions, mould, dust
Her (massive blistering rash): fish, hazel nuts, cats, an antibiotic ive forgotten, mould, dust, pollen.
Him (rash, wheeze): elastoplast, erythromycin, dogs, dust, rye pollen
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Shes doing fine on the ovega
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Glad to hear that you are feeling better gina99. Have you tried the ovega3 which is plant based and not fish based for dha and EPA?
Glad to hear your sister has been working on her diet and supplements a little, we await the results with hopeful resolve.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Welcome, no I have not tried it. I was waiting for the study and my appt with new PCP to see what they said. I have been eating fresh fish, shellfish (shrimp or scallops (count 3) per meal/week since April. This is a real stretch for me because I detest the smell, taste of fish in general. is there a snp for that? :lol: I supposedly have an allergic reaction to shellfish as well, but now getting this clarification between allergies vs. sensitivities. It may not be a true allergy. My allergy tests were not too conclusive.
Wow Stavia, those are some heavy allergies. glad that your sister is doing better.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

GeorgeN wrote:Julie,

I concur with you.
I, too, concur, as those of you who've read my previous posts know. I concur, that is, with the statement that "there IS a role for animal protein in our optimal diet", in the sense that a role for it exists, and that that role might be essential. I wouldn't dare to say that role is essential, since so much evidence points in the opposite direction (most long-term epidemiological studies -- again, the best evidence we have).

And, as those of you who've read my previous posts also know, I definitely don't agree with most of the reasons cited:

- Choline, like carnitine, also increases TMAO.

- There's no evidence that high dietary Cu:Zn is a problem (but I take a small amount of Zn "just to be safe").

- B vitamins aren't a prob on a plant- — especially "grassy" plant- — based diet, aside, probably, from B12.

- The vitamin D research is all over the map.

But, for now, I've opted for a traditional Okianawan level of meat (note, for those wanting to check into this research: traditional is not contemporary, thanks to Western influences): a small to medium portion of high-omega-3 fish a few times/month. Gut microbiome can recover after the doses of the food the pathological bacteria like, since those doses come infrequently. When I hear about people eating meat (or fish) daily... yikes!

GB

P.S. Just read Chris Kresser's blog post on ALA conversion to longer chain omega-3s. For those influenced by that, please don't be. He hasn't done his homework.

P.P.S. Stavia, hope your sister continues to do well! DHA is a highly unstable molecule, prone to oxidation. I would caution against supplementing more than 200-250 mg/day. But, I'll stop beating this poor dead horse!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Great tangent :D We need to make this a separate thread.

FWIW, I see the divide between vegans, who eat some animal protein, and omnivores, who eat small amounts of animal protein, as being much less significant than G would have us think. I also agree that the amount of fish/meat necessary for an optimal E4 diet is certainly up for debate.

G, given that your philosophy on most nutrients is contrary to Dr. Bredesen's (who's demonstrated the ablility to reverse cognitive decline) how do you reconcile your approach?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I don't think any of us eat a high percentage of protein (actually mebbe Spittinchips ;) ).
Maybe its a continuum like the optimum fat/carb ratio response thing : other genes modify our response to protein load/ fat % and there isn't a magic number but a range that is safe for us according to our individual responses.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Juliegee wrote:G, given that your philosophy on most nutrients is contrary to Dr. Bredesen's (who's demonstrated the ablility to reverse cognitive decline) how do you reconcile your approach?
But J! He's not really demonstrated anything -- or, more importantly, we don't know what has been demonstrated -- as B himself notes. He does use the word "demonstration", but then immediately -- and quite correctly -- qualifies it (to the point of nearly negating it):

"This is the first such demonstration. However, at the current time the results are anecdotal."

INdeed, that's why we're doing the new, big study, right? Or have I missed something? (Maybe you have access to newer, unpublished data?)

I look at his paper and I see a brilliant, original theory, and I see 10 people who, as predicted by the theory, AND as predicted by already existing data, got better on a CR and exercise regimen. That they happened to take a couple dozen supplements could well be irrelevant. That's one of the things the bigger study -- or perhaps a later study -- will be designed to test, I assume.

So, nothing to reconcile, in my view.

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I look forward to reading your paper, G. No doubt that CR can cure Alzheimer's, cancer, and bring an end to violence in the world. (I wanted to add cure world hunger...but that got tricky ;)) In the meantime, I'm betting those other 37 strategies in Dr. B's protocol just might also play a part in his results. They worked for me.