Targets for Ketosis using BioSense

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Targets for Ketosis using BioSense

Post by Julie G »

I should also say that I had a horrible diet filled with carbs. Very much overweight. When I got the BioSense, I was at 0 on the meter until about a week in of eating right. Then, raised to 1, then 2, then bounced up and down between 2-7 for another 1-2 weeks. Then, up to 12-15 over the next week. Then, I got to 27 and have been in the 30's - HI ever since. So, I feel like the BioSense is working. Plus, I'm down 30 lbs in about a month. I just got the KetoMojo today and got the 0.6.

Any insight?
Kudos on all of your health improvements, Patrick. It sounds as though you are in a hypocaloric state and currently in fat-burning mode and very well keto-adapted. I'm interested in how you're feeling- energy, mood, sleep and most importantly cognitive clarity?
patrickoleary
New User
New User

Post by patrickoleary »

First of all, the results in BioSense and KetoMojo have stayed consistent. BioSense = high, KetoMojo = low.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that I shouldn't be chasing a number. At first, I wanted a number and was obsessing over it because I used it as motivation to get through those first 3-4 weeks. I wanted to know what I was doing was working. As I get into this further, I am using the tools simply to know whether I am in or out of ketosis. After doing a lot of reading, it sounds like individuals metabolize ketones differently (breath / blood), some peoples bodies become adept at using ketones thus they don't show up on tests, etc. I've bounced around on the KetoMojo from 0.6 to 1.0, even though my net carbs have been less than 20, sometimes less than 10 for about 3 1/2 weeks.

So to your questions, I feel better. Not ideal yet. I had a few weeks where I felt awesome. I'm in the 5th week now and I'm starting to feel really tired again. Though, I was 320 and am now down to 288. I just need to keep going and chase results, not a specific ketone number.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So to your questions, I feel better. Not ideal yet. I had a few weeks where I felt awesome. I'm in the 5th week now and I'm starting to feel really tired again. Though, I was 320 and am now down to 288. I just need to keep going and chase results, not a specific ketone number.
Kudos on the weight loss! As you continue to lose weight and pursue ketosis, be sure to hydrate and include lots of high quality sea salt in your diet for mineral and electrolytes. Burning through those glycogen stores creates lots of fluid that's released by the kidneys through urination. When many people adopt a keto approach, they concurrently give up all refined and processed food which tends to be high sodium. That lack of fluid and salt can really exacerbate the "keto-flu" which might be what you're experiencing.

I also had some huge discrepancies with my blood ketones and breath. It's all about finding your pattern which it sounds like you're doing. Keep up the great work.