NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by LillyBritches »

Did anyone catch the AD-prevention segment on NBC News tonight (WA?)? Interesting. So it featured Dr. Isaacson and his AD-prevention program. Annnndddd I think I know why absolutely no one ever followed up with me: I'm too old (probably coupled with no AD in my family). Sounds like he's focusing only on preventing AD in younger people (20s and 30s). The featured dude was in his 20s, I believe, and his mom is now 62 and has AD. Think he said she started having memory issues two-three years ago, so I suppose that would qualify as Early Onset.

Also, the importance of playing an instrument was emphasized with a cute little video of Isaacson jamming on his guitar in the backyard of what appeared to be a NYC cafe.

Ah, very interesting to me - the young dude's biomarkers were all okay except for an amino acid with which Isaacson was concerned??? Does anyone know what that could be?

So, I gleaned that Isaacson is interested in employing a prevention program decades before any possible AD onset. Sigh...
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by Julie G »

Smacks of agism. (((Lilly))) Dr. Bredesen is better anyways, nonny, nonny, boo, boo :D
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

(((Jewel))) HAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol: Bredesen's rubber, Isaacson's glue...

It was disheartening, but I can completely understand his angle. Early familial onset with relatively young subjects followed, I'm certain, for decades, would make for landmark research.

Still wondering what that guy's out-of-whack amino acid is...
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Thanks, Lilly. Just took a break from playing Parker on my sax, to tune in. Brief segment, but optimistic that one might even be able to change the early onset AD. I think he was referring that the 32 y/o had Presenillin or amyloid precursor protein (APP) in his blood. Remember in STILL ALICE book,(now movie) her daughter's IVF could test and eliminate those eggs with that protein.

I read Dr. Isaacson's book as a moderate approach to AD prevention. Nothing new for us, but I agree that relatives might benefit or those trying to set up a schedule to lifestyle changes.

His emphasis was on music & blueberries , so back to my daily practice…
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

Hi guys. I'm the subject of both this piece tonight as well as the WSJ piece a few months ago. More to come! Feel free to ask me anything!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's a clip of the segment: http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nightly-ne ... 3524035582. I love that younger people are working to prevent Alzheimer's; truly the next frontier and wave of the future.

Max Lugavere, the young man featured, is a friend to the site. I hope he pops in to answer a few questions. :D
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, we posted at the same time, Max. Describe the high level of amino acid mentioned in the clip...what is that?
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

Juliegee wrote:LOL, we posted at the same time, Max. Describe the high level of amino acid mentioned in the clip...what is that?
Homocysteine! I'm MTHFR mutation homozygous, and began taking methylated B's, and nipped it in the bud.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good for you, Max! Lots of us are also working on hacking our methylation. Out of curiosity, what form/brand of methylated Bs are you taking? My son is heterozygous for a MTHFR mutation and homozygous for a MTRR mutation and consistently has elevated homocysteine. Methylcobalamin is doing little to help :?

The clip was really great. I'm so proud of you for taking care of yourself and fighting this NOW. I wish a little of that would rub off on my 22 y/o.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Well shoot, I wrote a post for this and it's never showed up, so must have closed the browser window before submitting? I could swear I clicked submit but maybe I need to use a gavel.

Anyway, hi Max! I was wondering if you are aware of Dr. Bredesen's work too. If so, or if you do some reading about his protocol, I'd be interested in any major or minor differences you see between Isaacson's approach and Bredesen's. I've thought I'd like to have both in my corner. If they're both on the right track why aren't they working together????? Or do they have different takes on important issues such that working together wouldn't work?

You may not have answers to all that. I'm just wondering ...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.