If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

Gundry internet ads

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:50 am

thjj wrote:Have you tried switching the good fat/lean protein breakdown, to instead
    70% lean protein/20% good fat/10% carbs
You seem to be doing everything right, so it doesn't make sense that the 70% good fat breakdown isn't working, which suggests to me that your body is not using the fats for fuel but instead storing it, IMHO


Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate all the suggestions given here.

I haven't thought of that. I thought too much protein was stored as fat? Can you tell me how you came up with that? I thought high protein eating was only for super athletes?

User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:52 am

xactly wrote:Would you consider doing periodic fasts? I was impressed by the results Jason Fung shared in has book, "The Complete Guide to Fasting." Fasting appears to be uniquely powerful in producing sustained weight loss, increased insulin sensitivity, and improved lipids.


Hi xactly,
Both you and TheresaB suggest Fung's book, so I will read it and consider what he says.

Thank you!

Barbara

User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:54 am

Michae_M wrote:I would echo that on many levels, fasting might be the key to healthy, measurable, and effective weight loss in many people. Have you thought about fasting for longer periods?


I will read Fung's book first and may need to do that, Michae_M. Thanks to you, xactly and TheresaB for the fasting advice.

Barbara

User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 am

TheBrain wrote:
thjj wrote:You seem to be doing everything right, so it doesn't make sense that the 70% good fat breakdown isn't working, which suggests to me that your body is not using the fats for fuel but instead storing it, IMHO


I recently had an organic acids test done that showed my mitochondria are struggling and fatty acids are not getting into my cells very well (and I’m on a ketogenic diet). I’m not storing the fat (my BMI is 18), so I don’t know what’s happening with those fatty acids. But your suggestion that Jan18’s body might not be using fats for fuel could be right on.

I’ve never felt the increased energy and improved cognition from being on a ketogenic diet that others report, but this diet has healed my hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. My FM practitioner has recommended I consume 3,500 mg acetyl-L-carnitine per day, mostly through supplementation. This is supposed to help bring fatty acids into the cells. She has even recommended I eat read meat daily to get carnitine from that source!


That's very interesting information, and speaks to the fact that our bodies are indeed functioning in different ways, so we must not assume the "one size fits all."

Thanks for sharing that and I wish you success with the L-carnitine supplementation!

User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:34 am

TheresaB wrote:You might also want to get to know Dr Jason Fung, he is a nephrologist (kidney doctor - kidney issues are very common in type 2 diabetics). His life work and his clinic centers around helping folks with insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes through fasting. There are a number of videos out there with his presentations, here’s one on Insulin Resistance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiSCEB ... e=youtu.be. He’s written, or co-written, a number of books: The Obesity Code, The Complete Guide to Fasting, the Diabetes Code. He has established an internet support site dedicated to helping people outside the area of his clinic, Toronto. It's called Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) https://idmprogram.com/ and looks to be a wonderful resource.


OMG, yes, I've seen this presentation by Jason Fung before, TheresaB, and even shared it with my Type 2 diabetic friend who is in denial, thinking that her medication has "solved" her diabetes. Now she has to add another, stronger shot every month to her medication. She refuses to change her eating.

(This was a knee-jerk reaction to dowloading your link....as soon as I saw him, I remembered the video! Now back to it to listen again!)

User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:31 pm

TheresaB wrote:I also like the book, “Eat Rich, Live Long” by Dr Jeffry Gerber and Ivor Cummins for understanding insulin and weight loss. The book even mentions ApoE4 cautioning about fats.


Hi TheresaB,
I am looking at ordering this on Amazon. Darn, though, I wanted to see the recipes first and it won't allow me to. I am hoping this is finally a book we Apoe4's can use. And by that, I mean low saturated fat.

We can't do dairy, sugar, grains, high starch veggies and most fruits and then I read Gundry says we aggressively oxidize saturated fat so we have to limit that. <sigh>

It's been suggested to use keto recipes and use saturated fat substitutions. But I am not a cook! I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to use as a substitute and not ruin the flavor.

And what is "low saturated fat" anyway? The American Heart Association suggests no more than 14 g a day. I've been trying to stick to that, but often am between 18-22 g a day.

Can you give me some guidance on this?

Barbara

User avatar
TheresaB
Mod
Mod
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby TheresaB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Jan18 wrote:I wanted to see the recipes first and it won't allow me to. I am hoping this is finally a book we Apoe4's can use. And by that, I mean low saturated fat.


There are lots of recipes in the “Eat Rich, Live Long” book and each is accompanied by wonderful full page color pictures. However, the book isn’t written for ApoE4s, but for general population, so you would have to modify them. But that’s true with all cookbooks and websites. But the reason I’m a fan of the book is the content, it’s the only one I’ve run across that takes the insulin resistance spectrum into account.

There is the Plant Paradox Recipe sharing facebook group and Vegan keto facebook groups (low saturated fat), have you looked into those?

Jan18 wrote:nd what is "low saturated fat" anyway? The American Heart Association suggests no more than 14 g a day


What is low saturated fat? Good question. I’m guessing the 14 grams a day by the American Heart Association is a “spitball” there’s still so much we don’t know about saturated fats. For the general population, I don’t think it’s the big, bad monster it’s been portrayed to be, but because of studies that show that’s not entirely true for ε4s, I go the conservative route and moderate my saturated fat intake: no cheese, no meat except fish and only small portions of that, and basically the only oil I consume is olive oil (in generous quantities) and every 6 months I get my blood tested and my oxidized LDL (oxLDL) levels are good. But I don’t obsess over saturated fats. If it’s a choice between low glycemic or low saturated fat, remember the advice in the Primer, glycemic control trumps lipids every time.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4

User avatar
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Jan18 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:46 pm

TheresaB wrote: For the general population, I don’t think it’s the big, bad monster it’s been portrayed to be, but because of studies that show that’s not entirely true for ε4s, I go the conservative route and moderate my saturated fat intake: no cheese, no meat except fish and only small portions of that, and basically the only oil I consume is olive oil (in generous quantities) and every 6 months I get my blood tested and my oxidized LDL (oxLDL) levels are good. But I don’t obsess over saturated fats. If it’s a choice between low glycemic or low saturated fat, remember the advice in the Primer, glycemic control trumps lipids every time.


Ok, thanks, TheresaB.

I can get blown with the wind and since I just read on Pritikin's site that ALL fat, including olive oil's monosaturated fat, was bad for the heart and arteries, it threw me.

Do you eat eggs? Gundry says they are good, still so much popular literature makes them out to be bad here in the States. I eat 1-2 a day. But 2 only have 3.3 g of saturated fat.

I am going to have to tweak my diet even more and retest my blood maybe in 1- 3 months. I can't wait 6. I need to see if I'm progressing on the right path and need more frequent positive reinforcement. Once I know that, I can spread out the tests more. More olive oil on vegetables (now I'm scared that the olive oil I have isn't the "good" olive oil Gundry says most aren't -- can you please speak to his olive oil ad? And how do we even find one with the requirements he says they need: Raised, harvested and produced by ONE farm?) I get myself crazed that I'm doing more harm (as he says I might be) than good!!!

By the way, I fasted 20 hours today! :)

Barbara

SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby SoCalGuy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Jan18 wrote:
TheresaB wrote: For the general population, I don’t think it’s the big, bad monster it’s been portrayed to be, but because of studies that show that’s not entirely true for ε4s, I go the conservative route and moderate my saturated fat intake: no cheese, no meat except fish and only small portions of that, and basically the only oil I consume is olive oil (in generous quantities) and every 6 months I get my blood tested and my oxidized LDL (oxLDL) levels are good. But I don’t obsess over saturated fats. If it’s a choice between low glycemic or low saturated fat, remember the advice in the Primer, glycemic control trumps lipids every time.


Ok, thanks, TheresaB.

I can get blown with the wind and since I just read on Pritikin's site that ALL fat, including olive oil's monosaturated fat, was bad for the heart and arteries, it threw me.

Do you eat eggs? Gundry says they are good, still so much popular literature makes them out to be bad here in the States. I eat 1-2 a day. But 2 only have 3.3 g of saturated fat.

I am going to have to tweak my diet even more and retest my blood maybe in 1- 3 months. I can't wait 6. I need to see if I'm progressing on the right path and need more frequent positive reinforcement. Once I know that, I can spread out the tests more. More olive oil on vegetables (now I'm scared that the olive oil I have isn't the "good" olive oil Gundry says most aren't -- can you please speak to his olive oil ad? And how do we even find one with the requirements he says they need: Raised, harvested and produced by ONE farm?) I get myself crazed that I'm doing more harm (as he says I might be) than good!!!

By the way, I fasted 20 hours today! :)

Barbara



I'm on Dr. Gundry's email list and his email marketing is quite aggressive. I actually get a good laugh out of it and I would strongly encourage you to not get too worked up about his special Olive Oil. None of his products have gone through any sort of rigorous testing so I wouldn't be too concerned about what he claims regarding his health products. And hey, if anyone likes and purchases his stuff that's great too! My larger point is to focus less on the brand and more on how the food you consume is impacting your health and wellbeing.

One thing to keep in mind is that a fast is an extremely high-fat diet. It's one of the reasons I decided to cut back and only do a single 5-day fast every six months. I just don't seem to do well on the high-fat diets. That one fast is sufficient to keep my insulin sensitivity dialed in at a safe, sustainable level.

I eat mostly low-fat sources of protein and keep my fat and carbs under control given both can cause issues when eaten to extreme. I understand that not everyone believes that high cholesterol is a problem, in my experience I simply do better when I limit my fat intake.

Can you share what a typical day looks like when it comes to your diet? Why is it that you cannot eat fruit?

Grace
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Gundry internet ads

Postby Grace » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:58 pm

I feel the same way about Gundry's aggressive marketing. I am on his mailing list and have become very suspicious of every claim because of the way it's always couched in urgency. I believe he is well-intentioned and the science is probably solid, but at some point he hired some aggressive marketing folks who just took this to a place where it all sounds like snake oil. I'll probably drop off his list for this reason. I find I don't read the emails any more.

I echo what others have said: Read The Obesity Code and The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung. Those little books are brilliant life changers. I have worked with their center on prolonged intermittent fasting regimens for a while and I believe they would tell you what others here have - that your insulin resistance is too strongly entrenched to change with only 18-hour fasts. Actually I would recommend you sign up for their coaching program, it's fabulous. But if you cannot or don't want to do that, then try to work toward longer fasts. They recommend ramping up with a "fat fast" for a few days to stabilize your insulin so the longer fasts become easier. Once you build your "fasting muscle" it really is not hard to do, especially if you are at home and not out and about in a world of social engagements. I have now done a number of 5-day fasts with relative ease, and they really work. My problem is that I need a fairly stress-free life to focus and get into the longer fasts, and lately my life has been anything but stress-free, so I have fallen off the fasting habit to my detriment. But fasting is magic.

There are also supplements you can take that will help. A regimen of bioidentical hormones can also help, but that needs to be worked on with a highly qualified clinician.

All of the above have enabled me to make some dents in the right direction in my various biomarkers, and my weight for sure (when I am adherent).


Return to “Prevention and Treatment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests