How do I confirm APOE status.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

How do I confirm APOE status.

Post by Berri »

I need some advice. I was scrolling through my data on Foundmyfitness when I saw this:

APOE rs4420638(A;G) Likely apoe4 carrier This genotype usually indicates a match for APOE4 status, however, it relies on a proxy SNP (an rs4420638(G) allele) that is not a perfect indicator of APOE status. It may be worth validating
independently by alternate means.

So my question is: How do I validate independently without spending a lot more money?
Also, I'm told that I am "probably APOE2/APOE4" It's all so indefinite. I know I need to keep up with dietary improvements anyway but I'm not good with IFs.

Thanks for any tips,

Berri
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How do I confirm APOE status.

Post by TheBrain »

Do you have your data through 23&me? If so, I recently typed up instructions for a friend who wanted to know her ApoE status. I could copy that here. The instructions use the 23&me web site.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Berri wrote:I need some advice. I was scrolling through my data on Foundmyfitness when I saw this:

APOE rs4420638(A;G) Likely apoe4 carrier This genotype usually indicates a match for APOE4 status, however, it relies on a proxy SNP (an rs4420638(G) allele) that is not a perfect indicator of APOE status. It may be worth validating
independently by alternate means.

So my question is: How do I validate independently without spending a lot more money?
Also, I'm told that I am "probably APOE2/APOE4" It's all so indefinite. I know I need to keep up with dietary improvements anyway but I'm not good with IFs.

Thanks for any tips,

Berri
Hi Berri, You can read about rs4420638 on snpedia.com. I just looked there and while this alllele is associated with ApoE4, not by any means definitive. Here is a quote from the article on your snp. “ For example, if you have the genotype at rs4420638 that is more correlated with the e4 allele of APOE, you still only have a 50% chance of actually having the e4 allele. “
I am no expert on genetics...FAR from it!...but from what I read, my interpretation is that you would need to do further testing to find out whether you carry the ApoE4 allele or not. You could wait for a sale on 23&Me. My understanding is that you can use the raw data in their ancestry test to learn ApoE4 status without having to pay the extra $$ for the Health part.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

TheBrain wrote:Do you have your data through 23&me? If so, I recently typed up instructions for a friend who wanted to know her ApoE status. I could copy that here. The instructions use the 23&me web site.
Yes, I have my 23%me data. What do I do next??

Thanks for any tips. Berri
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Berri wrote:
TheBrain wrote:Do you have your data through 23&me? If so, I recently typed up instructions for a friend who wanted to know her ApoE status. I could copy that here. The instructions use the 23&me web site.
Yes, I have my 23%me data. What do I do next??

Thanks for any tips. Berri
Okay, here goes. Let me know if you have any questions or something doesn't work as expected. I'm including the Note below in case someone later comes across this information.

Here are the steps for accessing the 23&me Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease report, which doesn't necessarily provide complete information. So I'm also including the steps for checking the relevant SNPs in your 23&me raw data.

Note: Before you jump into determining your ApoE4 status, I’d suggest reading the article, Thinking About Testing?.

How to Access the 23&me Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease Report

1. Log in to your account at https://www.23andme.com.

2. From the menus at the top of the page, select Health -> Health Predisposition.

3. Click Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease.

If you’ve never looked at this report before, you should be asked to confirm that you really want to view it. If you do, confirm that you want to view it.

Your results will be displayed. The rs numbers won’t appear, but you’ll be told if you do, in fact, have one or two copies of the e4 variant.

If you don’t have any copies of e4, you’ll see text that says, "you do not have the ε4 variant we tested.” Celebrate! However, this result doesn’t tell you what you do have (e2/e2, e2/e3, or e3/e3). If you want to know, continue with the next procedure.

The report provides information about what your results mean.

How to Use the 23&me Browse Raw Data Feature to Determine Your ApoE Status

Use these steps if you don’t have the e4 variant at all or if you have one e4 variant and want to know what your other variant is. These steps assume you’re still logged in to 23&me.

1. Near the top, right side of the page, click the search icon (a lens).

A search box will be displayed.

2. In the search box, type the word “browse” (without quotation marks). Press Enter.

3. In the search results, click Browse Your Raw Data.

The Browse Your Raw Data feature will be displayed. You’ll see a search box and other information.

4. In the search box, type rs429358. Press Enter.

The rightmost column titled “Your Genotype” will display your values for this rs number. Jot them down somewhere.

5. In the search box, delete your previous entry and type rs7412. Press Enter.

You’ll see your values for this rs number in the “Your Genotype” column. Jot them down.

6. To determine your ApoE status, look up your two rs numbers in the following table.
Capture.PNG
This table comes from the third post in the Stavia's Primer thread titled, "What is a protein?”.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!