Just discovered I'm 4/4, rocked.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
anotherdreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just discovered I'm 4/4, rocked.

Post by anotherdreamer »

circular wrote:
anotherdreamer wrote: There is one gene CETP rs5882 (g/g allele is best) that is able to modify the risk of apoe4
anotherdreamer, do you know which if any direct-to-consumer genetic tests (including the version #) includes this if you run it through Promethease or look at raw data? I have a 'superfile' at Promethease and it's not coming up.
I did mine through 23 and Me and found it on my raw data through their site. From what I've read, neither Ancestry nor 23 and Me does your entire genome. So it doesn't mean you don't have it but that they didn't sequence that part. To be sure, you'd probably have to go through a company that does the entire genome. My sisters also got their DNA done through 23 and Me but it isn't showing up for them either.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

anotherdreamer wrote:
circular wrote:
anotherdreamer wrote: There is one gene CETP rs5882 (g/g allele is best) that is able to modify the risk of apoe4
anotherdreamer, do you know which if any direct-to-consumer genetic tests (including the version #) includes this if you run it through Promethease or look at raw data? I have a 'superfile' at Promethease and it's not coming up.
I did mine through 23 and Me and found it on my raw data through their site. From what I've read, neither Ancestry nor 23 and Me does your entire genome. So it doesn't mean you don't have it but that they didn't sequence that part. To be sure, you'd probably have to go through a company that does the entire genome. My sisters also got their DNA done through 23 and Me but it isn't showing up for them either.
Ding! I forgot to look at my raw data. Was using Promethease. Rats, I'm A,A.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
anotherdreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anotherdreamer »

circular wrote:
anotherdreamer wrote:
circular wrote:
Ding! I forgot to look at my raw data. Was using Promethease. Rats, I'm A,A.
That sucks but there are other genes that help offset the risk. Did you check these out: Picalm rs3851179 and Cd33 rs3865444? I don't have the alleles written down but SNPedia will have them. I was also reading that one of the FOXO3 genes might have a protective interaction as well. I can try and find that data for you if you want.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

anotherdreamer wrote:
circular wrote:
anotherdreamer wrote:
That sucks but there are other genes that help offset the risk. Did you check these out: Picalm rs3851179 and Cd33 rs3865444? I don't have the alleles written down but SNPedia will have them. I was also reading that one of the FOXO3 genes might have a protective interaction as well. I can try and find that data for you if you want.
Thanks for those. I recall my FOXO3 is wonky, but I have a good TOMM40 result that doesn't occur as often among e4s. I don't recall the details. Overall I think we don't have a good enough, clinically validated algorithm to try to make sense of the combined genetics, but I like learning about any genetics I may have that I need to be proactive about to the best of my ability.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.