APOE4, a dilemma choice of nature, cancer survival vs Alzheimer's

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
xingxu
Contributor
Contributor

APOE4, a dilemma choice of nature, cancer survival vs Alzheimer's

Post by xingxu »

Recently, noticed this preprinted paper (not peer-reviewed) about APOE's effect on cancer progression and survival.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/576181v1

Shockingly, in human melanoma, APOE4 is NOT the risk factor, but increases cancer survival!
And APOE2 could lead to shorter survival. What a twist!

From this angle, congrats to all APOE4 carriers, you might have dodged a bullet! :o
APOE4InCancer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Disclaimer: I am one of the co-founders of Dash Genomics.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: APOE4, a dilemma choice of nature, cancer survival vs Alzheimer's

Post by Julie G »

Thank you, Xing. We like a little good news once in a while :D. Previous studies have shown that E4 carriers have some protection against many cancers. My guess is that this may be due to our premature apoptosis secondary to a down-regulation of our mitochondria. It makes sense, that the more advantaged E2s could be at higher risk. My E2 husband has had many skin cancer scares. It’s interesting to view this through the APOE lens.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks xingxu, that's nice to hear, since I now have melanoma on both sides of my family.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cflegal »

I had just finished searching APOE4 site and could find ANYTHING specific about APOE4 except for one picture chart that alluded to things of interest but had no citations or clarification.

For some unknown reason it had not occurred to me that APOE 4 was mechanistically different than the others and there might be unique "therapies." Why is this not a topic on the website? I'll be looking for more information.

The site has abundant information on Alzheimer's issues in general. How should I tailor my life specifically knowing that I am APOE4 aside from generalized Alzheimer's prevention, slowing or cure?
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

this is good news, but to be frank, if I was forced to choose between one disease or another, I`m much more scared of alzheimers than cancer.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

cflegal wrote:I had just finished searching APOE4 site and could find ANYTHING specific about APOE4 except for one picture chart that alluded to things of interest but had no citations or clarification.

For some unknown reason it had not occurred to me that APOE 4 was mechanistically different than the others and there might be unique "therapies." Why is this not a topic on the website? I'll be looking for more information.

The site has abundant information on Alzheimer's issues in general. How should I tailor my life specifically knowing that I am APOE4 aside from generalized Alzheimer's prevention, slowing or cure?
Hi cflegal,

It can be confusing to jump into the middle of a lot of forum posts that assume a pretty high level of knowledge about ApoE 4--and I say that as someone who has been reading posts since 2016! Here are some links to the background information that may help:

APOE-ε4 Introduction

ThePrimer entries are in order; just scroll through until you see the red-letter heading with these titles:
Primer entry on So what is this ApoE4 all about?

Primer entry on List of basic strategies

Not everyone on the site follows the Bredesen Protocol, named after Dr. Dale Bredesen. But many people follow at least some of his ideas. You can see an overview and explanation on our Wiki (like our version of wikipedia) here:
The Bredesen Protocol

I hope this helps!
4/4 and still an optimist!
xingxu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xingxu »

WOW! Such a good summary!
NF52 wrote:
cflegal wrote:I had just finished searching APOE4 site and could find ANYTHING specific about APOE4 except for one picture chart that alluded to things of interest but had no citations or clarification.

Hi cflegal,

It can be confusing to jump into the middle of a lot of forum posts that assume a pretty high level of knowledge about ApoE 4--and I say that as someone who has been reading posts since 2016! Here are some links to the background information that may help:

APOE-ε4 Introduction

ThePrimer entries are in order; just scroll through until you see the red-letter heading with these titles:
Primer entry on So what is this ApoE4 all about?

Primer entry on List of basic strategies

Not everyone on the site follows the Bredesen Protocol, named after Dr. Dale Bredesen. But many people follow at least some of his ideas. You can see an overview and explanation on our Wiki (like our version of wikipedia) here:
The Bredesen Protocol

I hope this helps!
Disclaimer: I am one of the co-founders of Dash Genomics.