A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Buck Institute/UCLA study finds that apolipoprotein E enters the nucleus and binds to promoter region of 1,700 genes

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 011316.php
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Post by Lucy5 »

Well, GenePoole, very interesting post. But I have to say, kind of wishing I hadn't read the full news release right before heading for bed...may not sleep so well tonight.

Makes me think some more about Dr Bob Mahley's extensive research of E4 at the Gladstone Institute and their work on a structure corrector (discussed in other threads). The goal being to convert E4 to the neutral E3 form. An elegant solution. Think I'll dream about that...
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A new role for ApoE explains its diverse range of effects, particularly in Alzheimer's

Post by Gilgamesh »

Fascinating, Gene. Thanks for the pointer. Can't wait to read the article (still not avail. anywhere, it would appear).

Lucy, yes, this makes the structure correctors all the more important. We can of course try to chase down the individual epigenetic changes caused by our allele, and try to counteract them... but getting at the root of the problem seems all the more important in light of this finding.

G
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I just had a conversation with Dr. Bredesen about the structure corrector in light of their new findings. He readily admits that no one knows if it will also turn off the gene transcriptional factors. He seemed doubtful, but open to the possibility.

FWIW, for now he's much more hopeful about combing stem cell therapies with the MEND protocol.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Stem cell therapies?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'll share what I understood from my very limited pay grade ;). Early evidence suggests stem cell therapies are currently successful BUT the benefits only persist for a short period of time. Dr. B. Is hopeful that by applying his protocol first, stem cell therapies might prove more durable.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Your pay grade may literally be low, but seems figuratively high!

About stem cells: I suspect the short-term efficacy is with cells/animals with an existing dementia disease process (AD or vascular dementia or whatever it might be): the stem cells replace the damaged cells, but the disease process continues unabated.

But preventatively, without an active disease process (though, yes, aging itself "is a disease", in some sense), I'm hoping/guessing that the effect would be longer-term, that the replacement would be as fast as the destruction by normal aging.

I'm ready to be signed up for a trial!

G
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Mahley weighs in on the new E4 evidence below. It appears to have moved understanding of APOE-ε4 tremendously. I'd love to see full-text if anyone has access- both for the article AND for the comments. Apparently lots of heavy hitters are chiming in...

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... for-ApoE-/
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Juliegee wrote:Dr. Mahley weighs in on the new E4 evidence below. It appears to have moved understanding of APOE-ε4 tremendously. I'd love to see full-text if anyone has access- both for the article AND for the comments. Apparently lots of heavy hitters are chiming in...

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... for-ApoE-/
Just checked PubMed and see that the current week's Journal of Neuroscience is not yet in (as of this morning 1/21/16)
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Full text available here with a subscription:

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/36/3/685