CSF Ferritin predicts cognitive decline in E4s

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CSF Ferritin predicts cognitive decline in E4s

Post by simonh01 »

MarcR wrote:Is there research to support the idea that low iron is bad in the absence of hematological evidence of anemia?

Signs and Symptoms of Iron Deficiency: Iron deficiency leads to anemia, which may be
asymptomatic early on, but which can cause declining work performance, fatigue, weakness,
pale skin, arrhythmia, palpitations, dizziness or lightheadedness, and muscle cramps. During
anemia, blood is rerouted to supply the brain and heart at the expense of most other tissues,
which causes a decline in many other bodily functions, such as digestion and skin health. Iron
deficiency also causes hypothyroidism, leading to signs such as cold hands and feet, increased
sensitivity to cold in general, hair loss, and swelling (edema) in the face. In children, iron
deficiency causes short stature and permanent decrements in brain function manifesting as low
IQ, and it is especially critical to catch it and correct it early. Iron deficiency also delays puberty.

This is a good resource from Chris Masterjohn if you want to dig in further.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/01/ ... on-status/
Simon
ε4/ε4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Finally got my ferritin checked ... 34 ng/mL. I think my anemia markers are good, but I’m not convinced being this low is beneficial, not that I want it very high. I’ll see what my doc says, but I wonder whether I should experiment with a small supplemental dose and see if my muscle cramps go away? I put ferritin in the mTOR camp these days ... too low is likely to have other adverse effects in some people. I need anything that will benefit muscle health or AD could just come and get me through the back door.

Edit: I don’t know if ferritin influences muscles, just saw an online reference.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

circular wrote:Finally got my ferritin checked ... 34 ng/mL. I think my anemia markers are good, but I’m not convinced being this low is beneficial, not that I want it very high. I’ll see what my doc says, but I wonder whether I should experiment with a small supplemental dose and see if my muscle cramps go away? I put ferritin in the mTOR camp these days ... too low is likely to have other adverse effects in some people. I need anything that will benefit muscle health or AD could just come and get me through the back door.

Edit: I don’t know if ferritin influences muscles, just saw an online reference.
Do you have any other iron markers or just Ferritin? What is your diet like? I'm not a fan of supplementing iron it is too easy to get wrong. Start with iron rich foods, clams, liver and red meat multiple times a day. Take some vitamin C with those meals to increase absorption. If you do supplement Chris masterjohn recommends Iron Smart Liposomal & Proferrin ES Heme Iron. You should aim for a Ferritin over 60 and Iron Sat % between 30 & 40.
Simon
ε4/ε4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Circ wrote: Finally got my ferritin checked ... 34 ng/mL.
Got ya beat, circ. My ferritin serum is at 23 ng/mL, but hemoglobin is at 13.9 g/dL (mid reference range for LabCorp). My doc is not happy with the ferritin level, so waiting and watching until next set of labs in a few months.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Simon and Lucy!

This morning I found this 2009 paper about iron and menopause symptoms. It will be of interest to those with the high iron genetics, since women's iron tend to go up a lot in menopause and pose risks. Gee, I'm in menopause and my ferritin is quite low, so I wonder how low it was before menopause!

Iron and menopause: does increased iron affect the health of postmenopausal women?

I checked the 'cited by' and came upon:

The Relationship between Serum Ferritin Levels and Insulin Resistance in Pre-and Postmenopausal Korean Women: KNHANES 2007-2010.
Conclusion
Elevated serum ferritin levels were associated with an increased risk of insulin resistance in postmenopausal women.
A correction to Table 1 was published later.
Last edited by circular on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

circular wrote:Thanks Simon and Lucy!

This morning I found this 2009 paper about iron and menopause symptoms. It will be of interest to those with the high iron genetics, since women's iron tend to go up a lot in menopause and pose risks. Gee, I'm in menopause and my ferritin is quite low, so I wonder how low it was before menopause!
You get rid of iron by giving blood. This is why women are more protective against iron overload then men because of their menstrual cycle. Its also why women can have anemia issues especially if they have a heavy period. If you're a vegetarian that is a double wammy. The link between insulin resistance and iron overload is not surprising. Iron overload attacks every organ in the body, think of your insides rusting. You are more likely to get diabetes with iron overload because your pancreas gets damaged (and hence insulin resistance). However the liver is where the damage is likely to occur first. With untreated Hereditary Hemochromatosis (genetic mutation that makes you absorb more iron), 30% will die from liver cancer.
Simon
ε4/ε4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Simon. The menopause article also discusses the role of increased iron in menopause in osteoporosis, hot flashes and aging skin. The osteoporosis part really interested me. I have osteopenia but my ferritin is low, so of course these things can be complicated in some cases by many other pathways.
simonh01 wrote: Do you have any other iron markers or just Ferritin? What is your diet like? I'm not a fan of supplementing iron it is too easy to get wrong. Start with iron rich foods, clams, liver and red meat multiple times a day. Take some vitamin C with those meals to increase absorption. If you do supplement Chris masterjohn recommends Iron Smart Liposomal & Proferrin ES Heme Iron. You should aim for a Ferritin over 60 and Iron Sat % between 30 & 40.
I only had ferritin tested. I'm not sure if my doc will test the iron panel now or think my levels are okay and not want to do it. Yet to be seen ... and if she doesn't want to run the panel I may do it myself. I do know my hemoglobin is generally good because I use the Keto-Mojo ketone meter which can also check that.

Unfortunately I hate clams and liver and restrict red meat.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

circular wrote: Unfortunately I hate clams and liver and restrict red meat.
Reason to restrict red meat? Next highest in order are Mussels, Venison, Lamb, Shrimp. If you're vegetarian, sprouted legumes, greens, seaweed, and potatoes are the best food sources, and the iron will be best absorbed if accompanied by vitamin C (500- 1000mg with meal). Will only be non heme form of iron from plants, so it will be much harder to get your levels up with plant food only. Coffee,Tea & Eggs inhibit absorbtion.
Simon
ε4/ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Its an associational study. Ferritin is an acute phase reactant ie it always goes up secondary to inflammation. IR involves increased inflammation. There is no concrete proof that raised ferritin causes inflammation, but we know for sure that inflammation raises ferritin.
Associations could go either way. These women could have been in an inflammatory state, not iron overloaded.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

You can get Heme iron in supplement - hemoplex if required, quite high dose though- I sued this in the past when iron levels were low. and GP gave another on prescription which caused side effects, this was better.

I'm so confused on iron, was deficient in the past but now on mini pill which causes periods to stop so guessing that is similar to the menopause in terms of iron build up- but don't eat red meat. need to check levels really.
Last edited by Orangeblossom on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.