E4 and MTHFR increase risk for AD by up to 35.5 fold

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
LanceS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: E4 and MTHFR increase risk for AD by up to 35.5 fold

Post by LanceS »

Dyver wrote:Whatcha taking LanceS? Wanted to make a caveman joke based on your profile pic, but couldn't do it... :D
Sorry for the delay.

After learning I was homozygous (2 copies) for the MTHFR gene, I started a B vitamin routine similar if not exactly like others on the board. This is discussed on various sites on the Internet and also a protocol recommended by Gundry.

I simply take this: Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12 500 mcg
Then after 15 minutes (usually more) take three of: Thorne Research - Methyl-Guard Plus - Methylation Support Supplement with 5-MTHF (Folate) and Vitamins B2, B6, and B12.

I used to do each b vitamin singly but this is easier and close enough for me. Probably don't need the Betaine as homocysteine seems fine with it or without it.

When I first took it I had a terrible reaction... very jumpy and incredibly nervous... for a couple of days. So I would advise easing into it. Started with one tablet instead of the three a couple of times a week...worked up to three tablets... then for about a year I took it almost every day. I have since eased back to two or three times a week (three pills). If I stay off for too long I get the jumpy reaction though not as extreme as it was first time.

Definitely seems to help clear brain fog, which I am hoping means it helps clear toxins from the body. I do wonder sometimes about some folks saying it helps genes express. I have somewhat suspect genes not sure I want to them to express. Bredesen in his book sticks to the notion that APOE4 interferes with gene expression. I would imagine one day we will learn something significant about the interplay between MTHFR genes and APOE4. Maybe it will mean this protocol is called for or maybe it will mean it does nothing or horror is a negative. Would seem more likely it is positive or neutral but since it makes me feel better, I'm living for the day I'm in ; ).

Cheers. Water of course.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: E4 and MTHFR increase risk for AD by up to 35.5 fold

Post by KatieS »

The Thorne Methyl -Guard Plus has 1.8g of betaine (600mg per capsule).