Statins true MOA revealed in a new study

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Statins true MOA revealed in a new study

Post by Ski »

I've had a lot of inflammation markers checked and none have jumped out as abnormal. CRP was less than 1. Homocysteine was 7 after B vitamin supplementing. I have carotid artery plaque hence the statin but zero abnormal inflammation markers to justify it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Statins true MOA revealed in a new study

Post by KatieS »

Hi Ski, do you recall how your plaque was characterized? I found my reports varied from some, minimal to no plaque with unchanged comparative readings. In contrast, the CAC has a standardized score. So I continue on weak pravastatin despite zero CAC. Debatable if I am having the anti-inflammatory effect. Statins may cleave APP improperly vs recent Medicare studies statins to slightly decrease dementia.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

KatieS wrote:Hi Ski, do you recall how your plaque was characterized? I found my reports varied from some, minimal to no plaque with unchanged comparative readings.
Katie, believe it was mixed.
Strokes were prevalent in my family history, so have to be as cautious as I can.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Ski, if you have a strong family history of strokes (especially in males), I just wanted you to be aware of the possible risk of Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy (CAA), described here.

Also, you really might want to consider an EBT scan. CIMT was previously touted as a good proxy for coronary calcium, but that hasn't proven to be the case. The correlation between the two is negligible at best. Knowing your actual coronary calcium score may give you some additional data on which to base your strategies. There are very low radiation versions available now similar to what a woman receives in a mammogram, which are recommended annually.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Juliegee wrote:Ski, if you have a strong family history of strokes (especially in males), I just wanted you to be aware of the possible risk of Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy (CAA), described here.

Also, you really might want to consider an EBT scan. CIMT was previously touted as a good proxy for coronary calcium, but that hasn't proven to be the case. The correlation between the two is negligible at best
Thanks for info Julie. So are you saying we shouldn't take fish oil tabs? I take 1 in morning and 1 in evening but also take a tiny aspirin as well. I'm curious how too thin of a blood damages blood vessels to cause hemorrhagic stroke?? My father passed away from hemorrhagic stroke at a young age and we thought it to be from high blood pressure. He never went to the doctor but he suffered from bad headaches.

Interesting on CIMT as I was always under the impression there was a good correlation.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for info Julie. So are you saying we shouldn't take fish oil tabs? I take 1 in morning and 1 in evening but also take a tiny aspirin as well. I'm curious how too thin of a blood damages blood vessels to cause hemorrhagic stroke?? My father passed away from hemorrhagic stroke at a young age and we thought it to be from high blood pressure. He never went to the doctor but he suffered from bad headaches.
That's what Dr. Bredesen is cautioning about only in 4/4 men with a male family history of stroke. Sounds like that's you :? . IMHO, it puts you between a rock and a hard place. Evidence is mounting that E4 carriers need more Omega-3s than other APOE genotypes to reach similar Omega-3 index levels which are positively correlated with cognition. You may want to talk to your doc about dropping the aspirin and reducing the fish oil. How do you feel about sardines and/or anchovies? With ample amounts, you may be able to reach an optimal Omega-3 index (>10% DHA + EPA/RBC) without overly thinning your blood. Dr. Bredesen has had two 4/4 men with family histories of stroke suffer the same while on the protocol, hence his warning to men in our community. Given your Father's experience, I think it's vital that you keep BP under control. Sorry you have to deal with this added piece of the puzzle. xo
Interesting on CIMT as I was always under the impression there was a good correlation.
Me too! Newer evidence is suggested that's NOT the case. It's best to look at both separately. I don't have studies at my fingertips. Anyone?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I have never used CIMT as a marker of CVD risk. It's been very interesting that you guys rely on it in the USA.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Yeah I eat sardines a couple times per week.

Given my family history and carotid plaque, Im not sure that would change anything for me pharmaceutical wise (10mg Crestor) even if I had a zero CAC score. However, I probably should go have one done at some point.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Ski, that was my statin & aspirin decision as well due to 3 out of the 4 GPs with strokes & the high lp(a). As you age, have a home B/P cuff as the meds further decrease the stroke risks.
DesertRaven
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DesertRaven »

Effects of canakinumab are small, and barely significant, but it is an important proof of principle, so that stronger, more effective medicines can be tested. It's important to note that the patients were all receiving optimal lipid lowering medicines, so this is on top of statins and ezetimibe (standard of care), not as a substitute for lipid lowering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk