Is the BREDESEN protocol effective?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Werner
Contributor
Contributor

Is the BREDESEN protocol effective?

Post by Werner »

Here is a citation that is doubting that the BREDESEN protocol is effective.
For what it's worth, I am giving the link for discussion:

https://scienceblog.com/516401/bredesen ... urologist/

Werner
ApoE: 3/4
kattoups
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is the BREDESEN protocol effective?

Post by kattoups »

There’s too much incorrect here to comment on all of it this late at night.

First off, I’d like to ask this neurologist what her success rate is for reversing dementia? She says it’s an incurable disease, so it sounds like she doesn’t try.

She appears to be completely ignorant about the factors that comprise the Bredesen protocol or a functional medicine approach to dementia. If we only used diet and supplements, it’s not likely that a majority of patients would get better.

There’s no mention of finding the root causes of what’s driving the dementia, like looking at Toxins, Infections, and lack of hormones, or vascular and metabolic issues.

Patients will have to choose what type of doctor they want to work with. If you think Dementia is an incurable disease and you’re ready to get your affairs in order, then by all means, go to UCSF memory and aging clinic. They will be happy to give you your death sentence, as they have done to so many of my patients.

If, however, you believe that dementia happens for reasons, and that you can work to identify and rectify those reasons, then you can make a choice to work with a Functional Medicine physician.

Unfortunately, there are definitely some practitioners claiming to do the Bredesen protocol that don’t really know how to do it properly. It does require having an MD/DO on your treatment team, as there are many medical issues that need to be assessed and addressed that are beyond the scope of practice of nutritionists, health coaches, chiropractors, etc.

These other types of health practitioners can be an excellent and important addition to your treatment team. But make sure there is a proper medical work up.

We are making remarkable strides uncovering more treatment targets for dementia. The prospective clinical trial that I work on with Dr. Bredesen and Drs Hathaway and Gordon, which is actually a clinical trial and not just case reports, should be completed by the end of this year.

We will then have to work on data analysis and preparing the paper for publication, but hopefully sometime relatively early in 2021, we’ll have another level of documentation for these naysayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

kattoups wrote:There’s too much incorrect here to comment on all of it this late at night.

First off, I’d like to ask this neurologist what her success rate is for reversing dementia? She says it’s an incurable disease, so it sounds like she doesn’t try.

She appears to be completely ignorant about the factors that comprise the Bredesen protocol or a functional medicine approach to dementia. If we only used diet and supplements, it’s not likely that a majority of patients would get better.

There’s no mention of finding the root causes of what’s driving the dementia, like looking at Toxins, Infections, and lack of hormones, or vascular and metabolic issues.

Patients will have to choose what type of doctor they want to work with. If you think Dementia is an incurable disease and you’re ready to get your affairs in order, then by all means, go to UCSF memory and aging clinic. They will be happy to give you your death sentence, as they have done to so many of my patients.

If, however, you believe that dementia happens for reasons, and that you can work to identify and rectify those reasons, then you can make a choice to work with a Functional Medicine physician.

Unfortunately, there are definitely some practitioners claiming to do the Bredesen protocol that don’t really know how to do it properly. It does require having an MD/DO on your treatment team, as there are many medical issues that need to be assessed and addressed that are beyond the scope of practice of nutritionists, health coaches, chiropractors, etc.

These other types of health practitioners can be an excellent and important addition to your treatment team. But make sure there is a proper medical work up.

We are making remarkable strides uncovering more treatment targets for dementia. The prospective clinical trial that I work on with Dr. Bredesen and Drs Hathaway and Gordon, which is actually a clinical trial and not just case reports, should be completed by the end of this year.

We will then have to work on data analysis and preparing the paper for publication, but hopefully sometime relatively early in 2021, we’ll have another level of documentation for these naysayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome kattoups!
Thank you for your quick response the Lancet Neurology editorial by Dr. Joanna Hellmuth. It is disheartening to see a high profile neurologist dash any hope for persons facing dementia. This line in particular was a head turner, "the Bredesen Protocol...has reeled in patients and their families seeking hope outside of the physician’s office for a disease that is currently incurable." :shock:
I don't have words for that one. :roll:
Thank you for your work and efforts with the clinical trial. It seems it will be vital in turning the tide of opinion.
Again welcome to the forum and please keep posting!!
Warmly,
Andrea
3/4
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Hello AKA, as a member of the Support Team, surely you are not suggesting that Alzheimer's Disease IS curable, are you? Perhaps you could clarify what you meant to say.

Whether one agrees with kattoups post or not, Dr. Bredesen's Protocol has received a lot of ink from the forum in the last few years, most often positive but also critical and often in line with Dr. Hellmuth's article.

From my perspective, the Functional medicine folks tend to support Dr. Bredesen while the Traditional medicine folks, like Dr. Hellmuth, tend to agree with her article.