Female Chromosomes Offer Resilience to Alzheimer’s

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Some good -- and interesting -- news for women and potential therapeutics:

ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Female Chromosomes Offer Resilience to Alzheimer’s

Post by Rosemary »

Hi Circular,
Thanks for forwarding what looks like good news for women and men associated with the X chromosome. I did a quick google search looking for protective variants and associated SNPs. Here's what I found:
https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... alzheimers

Here's what they say:
"They searched for variants associated with elevated KDM6A expression in the brain, and, sure enough, identified a common variant, rs12845057, whose minor allele, an adenosine, is carried by roughly 14 percent of the global population and associates with more KDM6A expression in the brain. To see if this variant associated with cognitive resilience, the researchers looked for it among 778 volunteers in the Alzheimer’s Disease. " See the graph for more details.

I logged into 23andme, and unfortunately no results for me. If anyone tries this, and they succeed, please let me know what platform they are using.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Rosemary wrote:Hi Circular,
Thanks for forwarding what looks like good news for women and men associated with the X chromosome. I did a quick google search looking for protective variants and associated SNPs. Here's what I found:
https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... alzheimers

Here's what they say:
"They searched for variants associated with elevated KDM6A expression in the brain, and, sure enough, identified a common variant, rs12845057, whose minor allele, an adenosine, is carried by roughly 14 percent of the global population and associates with more KDM6A expression in the brain. To see if this variant associated with cognitive resilience, the researchers looked for it among 778 volunteers in the Alzheimer’s Disease. " See the graph for more details.

I logged into 23andme, and unfortunately no results for me. If anyone tries this, and they succeed, please let me know what platform they are using.
Thanks. I'm on 23andMe version 3 ... no dice. I have the kit to upgrade but haven't gotten around to it. What version of 23ande do you have?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

I also have version 3 of 23andMe. Like you, I'm thinking of upgrading to version 5, but there's no telling if the common variant rs12845057 will be covered. If someone on this forum has version 5, please consider checking for rs12845057, Thanks.
anotherdreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anotherdreamer »

Rosemary wrote:I also have version 3 of 23andMe. Like you, I'm thinking of upgrading to version 5, but there's no telling if the common variant rs12845057 will be covered. If someone on this forum has version 5, please consider checking for rs12845057, Thanks.
I’ve got version five and it’s not showing on mine either. It might not be checked.
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

Hi anotherdreamer,
Thank you kindly for checking this out!! I guess, for now, I'll wait to update to version 5.
Donna
anotherdreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anotherdreamer »

Rosemary wrote:Hi anotherdreamer,
Thank you kindly for checking this out!! I guess, for now, I'll wait to update to version 5.
Donna
Maybe we’ll luck out with the next version : )