Male, 30 years old, Double Apoe4 (4/4)

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Male, 30 years old, Double Apoe4 (4/4)

Post by ApropoE4 »

Carrying one copy (that is, 3/4) doesn't increase risk by *that* much for men, but carrying two copies certainly does. There are cases of both male and female 4/4s who live to their 90s with no symptoms, but they are the exception.

What you can do at the moment is:

1. Exercise, seriously. This is good for both your CVD risk* and probably for your AD risk.

2. Eat a decent diet. This is good for your CVD risk and possibly for your AD risk.

There's nothing else that anyone knows with any degree of certainty.

* there's also no clear indication that CVD risk is indeed higher, although it seems like it should be. Some studies did not show any effect http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21716749
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Cyber,

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you found your way here. Apropo's advice is a great start. I know in my 30's my diet was less than stellar and you are at an age to really make a difference for the long term.

As you look around the site, you'll see there are a wide variety of approaches to diet and supplemention/medications. My best take is to
1) find a good doctor who can be your partner - blood testing will help you figure out if you are on the right path, especially with diet, especially since we all seem to respond differently to dietary fats.
2) look at other snps that might affect your health. Many of us supplement - personally I supplement to target other genetic variations that affects other processes, like methylation.
3) experiment with your diet - some on the forum are vegetarian, some eat meat, some eat only seafood, some follow calorie restriction. Blood testing, and how you feel (e.g. can you exercise, do you feel good) will help you figure out what works for you. We do know that controlling blood sugar is important to prevent many health problems, so that's definitely a good one to tackle early.

Poke around. There's a lot buried on the site, and not always organized, so make the search box your friend.

And ask questions! We have a lot of really smart, helpful people here who will share what they know.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

It would be good for someone familiar with the male vs female literature to add a wiki page and link to it here https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page# ... carrier.3F
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Cyber,

I am an almost 73 year old male, and also a 4/4, and have no symptoms of AD or CVD. I have been a jogger or a gym rat since I was 35, exercising vigorously (1-2 hrs) a day, five days a week. My body mass index is 23, I've had only slightly elivated cholesterol and I eat and drink sensibly and in moderation. I was unaware of the 4/4 risk for AD until about a year ago, but I sure am glad my diet and exercise may have put me on a safer track. Hope this is helpful.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Apropro said
* there's also no clear indication that CVD risk is indeed higher, although it seems like it should be. Some studies did not show any effect http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21716749
That is contrary to my understanding and contrary to what the Gladstone Institute has stated in this paper:

Apolipoprotein E: Structure determines function, from atherolsclerosis to Alzheimer's disease to AIDShttp://www.jlr.org/content/50/Supplement/S183.full.pdf
ApoE4 increases plasma LDL levels and risk for atherosclerosis and is overrepresented in hyperlipidemic and cardiovascular disease patients.
They reference another paper for this statement, if anyone is interested in looking it up.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Cyber! The exact level of risk for both AD and CAD/CVD hasn't been accurately calculated for our population. You'll read lots of varying statistics. You ARE at greater risk for both diseases. The good news; you are perfectly poised (at age 30) to avoid them.

Have you seen any of Max Lugavere's work? Google him. He's a member here, a 3/4, making a documentary movie to spread the prevention message to your age group. I love what he's doing as I have a 22 y/o, 3/4 son, who believes he is invincible. Sigh. I love that you even care. I hope 8 years from now, my son will too.

Side note: ApropoE4, that Gaza Strip paper needs an editor, LOL There are lots of problems with the paper; starting with a huge error in the abstract. They also fail to provide basic descriptive data for their sample (like BMI, etc.) I'd be hesitant to rely too heavily on it.

Here's an encouraging new paper that suggests that the E4 allele leads to heart disease ONLY in conjunction with the presence of metabolic syndrome. In patients without metabolic syndrome, the incidence of heart disease has been found to be even lower in E4 carriers.

Diversity of Apolipoprotein E genetic polymorphism significance on cardiovascular risk is determined by the presence of Metabolic Syndrome among hypertensive patients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25413697

Lots of evidence suggests the same is true for AD. Everyone here has provided terrific advice. Exercising, eating a healthy nutrient-rich diet, and keeping a lowish BMI will serve you well, Cyber.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

rep wrote:Apropro said
That is contrary to my understanding and contrary to what the Gladstone Institute has stated in this paper:

Apolipoprotein E: Structure determines function, from atherolsclerosis to Alzheimer's disease to AIDShttp://www.jlr.org/content/50/Supplement/S183.full.pdf
ApoE4 increases plasma LDL levels and risk for atherosclerosis and is overrepresented in hyperlipidemic and cardiovascular disease patients.
They reference another paper for this statement, if anyone is interested in looking it up.
That's right, increased LDL levels should increase those risks, but the odds ratios seen in the wild are not high (between 1 in the Gaza study and, iirc, 1.3 in some other studies). An OR of 1.3 just isn't a big deal. However, even with an OR of 1, we know that 4/4 is associated with cognitive decline post major surgery so it's even more advisable to stay healthy than for the general population.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Cyber, I agree that exercise and a sensible diet are important. And I would like to underscore Susan's remark about blood glucose control. I learned about a year ago from this site that fasting glucose levels are a poor indicator of metabolic health. I prefer one-hour postprandial (after eating) measurements. As a 52-year-old guy who lived pretty hard until recently, I use 1PP readings to tune my diet to foods that support rather than undermine my long-term health. I'm not sure I would have seen any issues at age 30, but I think an occasional spot check, especially after a high-carbohydrate meal, might have moved me beyond denial and into action to forestall some metabolic damage.

Getting plenty of sound sleep is another factor not mentioned yet that I think is likely to be important. Here's a fascinating chart from a paper on that topic. The E4 carriers in the study who were solid sleepers were much less likely to develop AD than the E4 carriers who were poor sleepers. In contrast, risk varied little with sleep quality among study participants who did not carry an E4 allele. Like much of the research available to us today, the study shows correlation, not causation, but in the absence of studies hinting that sleeping well is bad for us, I'm inclined personally to make sleeping more and better a priority.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Welcome Cyber! I wish my sons were as proactive as you.
Our community has a huge amount of pooled information. Please ask anything you need to know.
Everyone here has given you great advice. May I add to keep cognitively active, keep learning hard things, maybe a new language, a musical instrument, biochemistry lol
Also to keep socially engaged with family and friends has also shown to be beneficial
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

cyberrebel wrote: I am a male, 30 years old...
Dude. Seriously? lol You're 30. You know they're gonna have this thing sorted very soon, right? You're fine. You're golden. Live healthily and enjoy your youth.

Sorry to be so cavalier, but I'm a 4/4 57-year-old female who is trying to hack this crap before she reaches 60. In fact, you'll find most of us here are in our 50s-60s.

You got this. I PROMISE. ;) Oh, and welcome!
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.