Kitano's lipids follow-up

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Kitano's lipids follow-up

Post by KatieS »

Mer, I didn't over look the B6, I just thought between the B100 that I take and the Lysine with B6 50mg ( it would seem like I would have more than enough. But it is not the same B6 that you had the incredible HCY drop with, so I might need to reconsider.

George, I'm only taking B compex 100 in the morning, inositol hexanicotinide 800mg & Niacinamide 50mg evening, so only about 950mg total, but I'm an odd duck, always hyper- responsive to meds.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I'm not following all of this, but do get that your improvement has been phenomenal, so congratulations. I'm going to have to come back and read one morning when I'm sharp. This is my bedtime.

Good for you, Kitano. Happy to see this. PS -- also very interested in your diet, as I just chrono'ed my day, complete with new tweaks, and almost reproduced your 404020 low SFA pattern. Much to study here.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Kitano wrote:Mer, I didn't over look the B6, I just thought between the B100 that I take and the Lysine with B6 50mg ( it would seem like I would have more than enough. But it is not the same B6 that you had the incredible HCY drop with, so I might need to reconsider.
Great, sounds like you have that base well covered. I suppose if you don't see a substantial drop, you might try the pyridoxal-5-phosphate form of B6.

Or you could let this trip down the Longecity rabbit hole scare you off completely.

On a related note, is supplement-driven homocysteine reduction even good for us? I wish I knew. This 2013 study says it is. Check out the scary brain imaging pictures! But this 2014 meta-analysis says it's worthless. At least it doesn't say it's actually harmful.

I think I'll go enjoy a bowl of strawberries.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Congratulations Kitano! That's fantastic. I would be thrilled if I can get your kind of numbers on a statin or whatever Dr. Krauss recommends. I realize you did decrease your saturated fats also.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Rep, before your apt with Dr. Krause, check if you have rs801494AA that predicts a more dramatic statin response. If you have this SNP, then you might be able to start with lower doses (less side effects) and still have the 40% decrease.

Mer, thanks for the links. I'm going to cut out the B100. CRON-O-Meter calculates that my vitamin B intake is high, so why approach levels of toxicity? Now that I'm off the diuretic, I need to be especially cautious. Yes, I've read how lowering HCY with B12/folate does not affect outcomes, but how many are as compliant as we are or start the treatment at less than optimal HCY, but not labeled as high yet? I have methylation markers predisposing me to high HCY, as does my mother who decades ago, was on B12 shots, now just sublingual tablets.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Hi Kitano - I can't find rs801494 in my Promethease report based on my 23andme testing. Where did you find it?

Aha - found it in my Ancestry results and it is GG so it's possible a large dose may be needed.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Not sure how common AA is. Honestly, after that first lipid panel, I was eating celery and kiwis (known to lower TC) as a daily snack, plus all those supplements. My husband thinks I should stop all these supplements (Vitamins B & C, Lysine, Zinc, more fish oil than I was on before Tears Again & new Nordic Naturals DHA, folate/B12 and niacin) and do a repeat lipid panel. I'm not keen on that experiment. Even though Julie said I must over synthesizer , I think I'm both, as cutting the saturated coconut fat & macadamia nuts, lowered my saturated fats by at least half.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Kitano wrote:. Even though Julie said I must over synthesizer , I think I'm both, as cutting the saturated coconut fat & macadamia nuts, lowered my saturated fats by at least half.
I think maybe perhaps (still need to get my head around this), saturated fats in the diet drive liver synthesis of LDL so its all consistent?
I'm kinda lost maybe perhaps. Its hard, these lipids.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gene thanks but 404 error?