new e3/e4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: new e3/e4

Post by MAC »

ok, so there are many epigenetic believers on this forum, and I completely understand why, and I am delving intensely into my own research.

How about some generalized results from this forum?

Is everyone that is on one of these AD preventive lifestyle protocols entering without ANY signs of cognitive loss and is purely practicing advanced preventive alternative medicine?

More importantly, who has had "some signs" of cognitive less and gone on one of these protocols, and can report on results so far?

I am ready to make significant changes to lifestyle, but I'd really like to shake out some results from the people in this forum who enter with some signs of cognitive loss combined with advanced knowledge on AD lifestyle prevention and practicing the protocol(s).

I don't know how old this forum is or how many people are practicing "extreme" lifestyle changes, but is there anyone who has any data for the cohort of forum members?
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Mac, many of our forum members have experienced various degrees of cognitive reversal since practicing epigenetic lifestyle changes. I regularly get private emails from members sharing their stories of cognitive improvement. For obvious reasons, many are hesitant to share to the larger group.

I describe my journey in front of 300+ people at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging here. Another member, colorful, shares an even more impressive story with corroboration via formal neuropsych testing in this thread.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

MAC wrote:ok, so there are many epigenetic believers on this forum, and I completely understand why, and I am delving intensely into my own research.

How about some generalized results from this forum?

Is everyone that is on one of these AD preventive lifestyle protocols entering without ANY signs of cognitive loss and is purely practicing advanced preventive alternative medicine?

More importantly, who has had "some signs" of cognitive less and gone on one of these protocols, and can report on results so far?

I am ready to make significant changes to lifestyle, but I'd really like to shake out some results from the people in this forum who enter with some signs of cognitive loss combined with advanced knowledge on AD lifestyle prevention and practicing the protocol(s).

I don't know how old this forum is or how many people are practicing "extreme" lifestyle changes, but is there anyone who has any data for the cohort of forum members?
1. Goldthread's friend Kathleen has showed marked cognitive improvements. You can PM her or search her posts.
2. Julie, our president, has shown significant improvements. http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/08/healt ... -reversal/
3. I don't know of any other specific persons who had some cognitive impairment and joined our group and reported their outcomes.
4. There is no collated data. This group has formed to discuss the evidence and strategies, and is not an experimental protocol
5. This group has been together for a few years now, it migrated from 23andme to this site in October 2013.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

MAC wrote: More importantly, who has had "some signs" of cognitive less and gone on one of these protocols, and can report on results so far?
Bredesen's results are probably closest to what you are asking. In this post are links to some of his presentations as well as some published papers.

We all ask the same questions and Bredesen's results are why some of us gravitate to his protocol. Likewise, Gundry has said he has followed E3/4 and 4/4 patients into their current ages of 80's and 90's (3/4's) and they are still doing well. This is just a comment and not a study and certainly could have survivor bias.
Tincup
E3,E4
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Juliegee, very courageous of you re the Buck video presentation, and more importantly, AWESOME to hear of your cognitive reversal, that was truly a powerful story.

Thanks Stavia for the reference info.

I am feeling energized to announce my E3/E4 results to my GP during my physical, proactively baseline my internal chemistry and cognitive status, take control of my health, and engage in prevention.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Thank you so much GeorgeN for your post and links, a trove of info!

I am trying (sorry will endeavour) to filter through all your links and discern for Bredesen/Gundry general "improvements" to mental health (i.e neural function) and true "prevention of AD"; their work could be looking at various "beneficial outcomes" not categorically AD?

Just took a GOOGLE stab at MEND, and found this link, with many of course criticizing the leap from metabolic science to "preventing AD".

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/me ... qus_thread

I am still early days down this path, gobbling up as much info as I care to absorb, and trying to stay neutral but looking for the hard science/proof of true "AD" prevention. Honestly, if genes only play say 60-70% risk factor for AD, then proactively attacking the balance on environmental (epi) is a HUGE opportunity!

There's been some recent advancements in retinal amyloid imaging, sounds like a very exciting tool to help diagnose pre AD at a mainstream level vs. sophisticated PET or CSF analysis (of course, assuming that any evidence of plaque eventually leads to AD which is not true).
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I have been wondering for months about the status of he retinal imaging approach. I believe they're using curcumin to tag the plaque in the retina due to its high affinity with it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

http://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/ ... 000124.pdf

Above is one reference...using Tumeric tag.

Again this is a diagnostic tool but coupled with more advanced preventive regimes could accelerate true AD prevention or at least forestall to much later in life.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Very interesting article, MAC, thanks. It would be great if this became available soon.
I'm so grateful, moved and inspired by Julie and colorful's stories and the benefit to all of us. WOW
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Although this retinal imaging tool "could" possibly be very useful in moving towards AD prevention, the disease is so complex, that there may or may not be an absolute link between signs of amyloid beta in the retina and certain AD, although surely it is a smoking gun.

The papers below show that "amyloid beta" has complicated subsets and is interconnected with NFT making direct AD connection complicated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12743238

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4917817/

I think we are still searching for the root cause to neuronal death, and the plaque and tau are end effects?
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE