Funky numbers

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Funky numbers

Post by Tincup »

alysson wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:I took niacin for a while, a gram/day. Usually Slo-Niacin brand. Initially did have a strong flush reaction, but later it was mild and I didn't mind it at all. From what I've read, you don't want it to be too spread out as spreading it over time has a negative effect on the liver. In any case, I'd not taken niacin for many months.
George, when you say niacin shouldn't be too spread out, do you mean you shouldn't stop and start it from day to day or week to week? I was told to take it daily and not stop because I'd have to start over at square 1 when I restarted it. Of course, I did stop the niacin for a few weeks because that reaction I had scared me. So I had to start over.
No, I mean the extended time release is not the stuff to use. Slo-Niacin is OK, I believe it is in a wax matrix that dissolves fairly slowly. Also, from my notes "A dose of timed release = 2x dose of plain niacin. So 1 g Slo Niacin = 2g plain niacin."
I decided to do a "detox" using exercise, sauna & niacin. I selected (randomly) 3 grams of niacin as nicotinic acid as my dose - no delay. I went to the gym and started to lift. Had barely started and figured this was not going to happen, started feeling bad. Went and sat on the john. Nearly passed out. Was sweating, weak and felt awful. But it was passable if I kept my head by my knees. Finally felt good enough to make it over to a quiet area near a racquetball court where I could get prone on the carpet for a while without attracting attention. I knew it was an extreme flush reaction and would pass. It did. I then did go sit in the sauna for a while. I was fine once the flush was over. I also knew I'd played with way too high a dose, since I wasn't used to it. I have not repeated the fun...
How awful to have this extreme flush reaction in a public setting. I can see why you haven't repeated that experiment. But what you experienced is consistent with the physical symptoms I felt.
Doesn't mean I won't repeat - just will be a little saner about my starting dose...
Also know that niacin will increase glucose (never had it increase ketones out of the range of reason). Gundry told us this is well known and not an issue. I think it stimulates the liver to release glycogen.
It's interesting that niacin stimulates the liver to release glycogen. I have often wondered if my liver glycogen stores become depleted and that's why I was waking up hungry in the middle of the night. So if I didn't have liver glycogen stores available for niacin to stimulate, I wonder if that could increase ketone production.
In the detox notes, it is supposed to stimulate lipolysis (break down of fats) - this could also increase ketones??? Also the intent of the exercise and sauna. The detox idea is to clear accumulated "toxins" from fax cells. See this and this from a Dr. Yu who has worked with the flush.

I'm sending an email to you with info from a niacin book.
Tincup
E3,E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

GeorgeN wrote:The reason you get dizzy is the dilation of the blood vessels. This will drop blood pressure. It is transient and will go away after your system adjusts.
Ah, that makes sense (and sounds less scary). Thanks for the explanation.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

GeorgeN wrote:I mean the extended time release is not the stuff to use. Slo-Niacin is OK, I believe it is in a wax matrix that dissolves fairly slowly. Also, from my notes "A dose of timed release = 2x dose of plain niacin. So 1 g Slo Niacin = 2g plain niacin."
Slo-Niacin is one of the products recommended by the Front Range Preventative Imaging Center. I can switch to that brand.
How awful to have this extreme flush reaction in a public setting. I can see why you haven't repeated that experiment. But what you experienced is consistent with the physical symptoms I felt.
Doesn't mean I won't repeat - just will be a little saner about my starting dose...
Why am I not surprised to hear that. ;) But it's good you'll be saner with your dosing.
Also know that niacin will increase glucose (never had it increase ketones out of the range of reason). Gundry told us this is well known and not an issue. I think it stimulates the liver to release glycogen.
It's interesting that niacin stimulates the liver to release glycogen. I have often wondered if my liver glycogen stores become depleted and that's why I was waking up hungry in the middle of the night. So if I didn't have liver glycogen stores available for niacin to stimulate, I wonder if that could increase ketone production.
In the detox notes, it is supposed to stimulate lipolysis (break down of fats) - this could also increase ketones??? Also the intent of the exercise and sauna. The detox idea is to clear accumulated "toxins" from fax cells. See this and this from a Dr. Yu who has worked with the flush.
Oh, I could definitely see how this lipolysis could increase ketones (assuming I understand ketosis as much as I think I do!). Thanks for those links. I'll check out what Dr. Yu has to say.
I'm sending an email to you with info from a niacin book.
Thanks, George!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I would think someone as tiny as you would need less than an average sized man, for sure.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

ru442 wrote:Wow Alysson... that is wild. I was on prescription time release Niacin (NiacinER 2000MG) for a LONG time and only had the flushing and itching, my lipidologist wanted me off it because it was not good for my glucose. Could explain your wild swings in ketone's... may want to get another opinion IMO :wink:
Yep, I stopped my niacin and almost immediately(next morning) my fasting BG returned back to normal levels. I thought it was my statin, but it was the niacin causing a fasting BG of 10-15 points higher.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves, Ski!!! So good to see you posting :D.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

but it was the niacin causing a fasting BG of 10-15 points higher
Very interesting Ski...I thought my statin was increasing BG, and when it dropped, I had attributed it to a less potent statin (pravastatin), but silly me, I stopped the niacin simultaneously, Niacin did not seem to bulge my lp(a).
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Hi Julie ;)

Katie - Yes, even though I had read about Niacin doing this, I was quick to blame the statin.