Funky numbers

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Funky numbers

Post by TheBrain »

Nancy wrote:Alyson, I've had similar symptoms since starting this keto stuff, and had in the past on Atkins, too, sometimes. But you should tell your doctor, of course (hopefully you have a good one).
Did you also have high ketones, or are you referring to waking up feeling overstimulated?

Yesterday, I talked to my doctor's nurse/wife. She said she had no idea what my symptoms meant but would check with the doctor (my FM MD). I'm awaiting a call back.

When I think back to the day before my middle-of-the-night funky numbers, I recall that not only was I probably dehydrated, but I skipped lunch. I was feeling a bit hungry for several hours but not ravenous. When I get to the point of being ravenous, I eat.

When I woke up for the day this morning, my ketones were at 2.6 and my BG was 94 (a bit high for me; I'm usually in the 80s). I didn't eat for about 2 1/2 hours, but right before eating I checked my numbers again. My ketones jumped up to 4.7, and my BG dropped to 83. I felt fine. Just ready to eat.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Stavia wrote:Alysson, I don't understand. Why are you hungry in the night and feel you need to eat if your ketones are so high? Shouldn't you be getting enough fuel from them? Are you sure it's hunger?
Not dismissing your symptoms, just trying to help work it out.
I know. It doesn't make sense. In the middle of the might, I have felt hunger and/or overstimulated. When I feel just overstimulated, I still eat. But perhaps I should experiment with not eating. In the past (before keto), if I didn't eat because I had awoken earlier than usual and wasn't hungry yet, I'd wake up an hour or two later hungry and need to get up to eat. Getting up twice in the middle of the night is way worse than getting up once.

But even this morning, with my ketones rising from 2.6 (upon waking) to 4.7 (2 1/2 hours later), I was hungry, though not ravenous. I'm trying to lengthen the time that I go without eating, hoping that eventually I'll be able to fast 12 hours. So my ketones were high, yet I was hungry.

Okay, I know what I write next will sound weird, but a psychic did tell me a couple of years ago that when I wake up hungry, I'm actually thirsty, and I should just drink water. I just didn't buy it. Can hunger and thirst signals get mixed up?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Dunno honey. Worth a go. Why don't you try drinking only?
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Okay, I'll give it a go. But I'll probably wait a few days because my 27th wedding anniversary is on Friday, and I just want to keep doing what I'm doing because at least I know what to expect.

Stavia, I appreciate your help, as always.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Happy anniversary!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Stavia!
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Alysson, FWIW a lot times when people feel hunger it is just a signal that your body needs water. Probably one of the worst things you can do is be in a constant state of dehydration. Easier said than done, however, and my biggest weakness. Because I drink a lot of coffee, I do not drink enough water at times. So I mistake hunger for water, then I eat and two hours later still feel hungry. At that point I will drink because I measure my intake and I know I have sufficient calories. As soon as I get about 24 oz of water in, the hunger is gone and my energy level picks up. I know better and still have to be conscious of getting enough water in. Another symptom I get when I am dehydrated is PVC's at times. As soon as I drink water with electrolytes they go away. Drink water. Lol.

Frank
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Sorry, Alysson, I meant I had the physical symptoms, but I have never measured for ketones. Sometimes I have needed more salt or just been dehydrated.
Hope you figure it all out and feel better soon.
Enjoy your anniversary!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Sandy57 wrote:Alysson, FWIW a lot times when people feel hunger it is just a signal that your body needs water. Probably one of the worst things you can do is be in a constant state of dehydration. Easier said than done, however, and my biggest weakness. Because I drink a lot of coffee, I do not drink enough water at times. So I mistake hunger for water, then I eat and two hours later still feel hungry. At that point I will drink because I measure my intake and I know I have sufficient calories. As soon as I get about 24 oz of water in, the hunger is gone and my energy level picks up. I know better and still have to be conscious of getting enough water in. Another symptom I get when I am dehydrated is PVC's at times. As soon as I drink water with electrolytes they go away. Drink water. Lol.

Frank
Frank, thanks for sharing your experience. I would be surprised if I were in a constant state of dehydration, given how much water I drink daily (8-10 cups, and I'm a small person). But maybe the magnesium I take for constipation is leaching too much water out of my body. It certainly helps to know that hunger and thirst signals can get mixed up, so I will definitely experiment and see if that's what's going on.

I have learned through using Cronometer for three weeks that I'm not hypocaloric, but if I don't eat in the middle of the night, I will need to get those calories during the day. And early satiety is an issue for me, but it's worse as the day goes on. Maybe I eat as much as I can fit into my stomach for breakfast and do the best I can the rest of the day.

For the high ketones, my FM MD suggested I stop the MCT oil (which I had already done) and eat more carbs. So I'm experimenting with that. My ketones have come down, but right before my late breakfast at 11:30 am this morning, they were at 3.2. But that's an improvement. My BP and pulse have been fine.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Nancy wrote:Sorry, Alysson, I meant I had the physical symptoms, but I have never measured for ketones. Sometimes I have needed more salt or just been dehydrated.
Hope you figure it all out and feel better soon.
Enjoy your anniversary!
Thanks, Nancy! It's unfortunate that I have the worst cold sore ever in time for my anniversary, but we'll make do. ;)