Hi! Apo E 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
jenlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! Apo E 4/4

Post by jenlynn »

Hi. I'm jen. I'm one of those who popped my 23andme data into LiveWello and :shock: I started the Dr Gundry diet. I don't really have weight to lose, but my diet was shhhh- the s word. I'm 36, a supplement junkie, always been into exercise and guided meditation, and an avid user of EVOO so I have those things going for me. I'm so glad to have found this place. After finding out my initial results I bawled for a couple of days then got it back together. Yesterday was a bad day though. Feeling sorry for myself. Wanting to eat what the hell I want, and not have to deal with this. But then I realized there is so little info (outside of this site) and maybe my experience can help someone one day. I really appreciate what you all have compiled. I am 11 days sugar free! Probably 14 days without a soda and not looking back. My maternal grandmother died 2 days before my 35th birthday with dementia and my paternal grandmother died from a stroke after a long battle with congestive heart issues. Seeing that will make you change your ways of you see yourself headed down the same path. My dad takes amazing care of himself but they have him on a low fat diet and he just had a triple bypass this year (although he healed in record time due to being in otherwise good health) his brother died of a massive heart attack a few years back and his son, my youngest cousin just died last month. So it's for sure in the genes. Anyway. Thank you all for keeping this site going. I would be lost without it.
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hi! Apo E 4/4

Post by thumperama »

Hi Jen

Welcome.

It should comfort you to know that your story is common here. We have a great community that is eager to help. Please start with our Welcome page: https://www.apoe4.info/wp/welcome/

All the best.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Jen! I'm so glad you found us. Eleven days no sugar??? Woo hoo! I'm really proud of you. At your age, you're perfectly poised to optimize your health and avoid the pathologies associated with E4.

FWIW, I haven't had a soda for five years and I still occasionally crave DIET Coke ;). Old habits die hard, but optimizing health is so worthwhile and ultimately necessary for us.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Jen and welcome. Well done!! Settle in and ask any questions you wish :)
jenlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenlynn »

Awe! Thanks everyone. I am eager to learn more! Oh I was a coke addict!!!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

jenlynn wrote: Oh I was a coke addict!!!
Yup. Me too. I still miss it soooo much.
jenlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenlynn »

I really appreciate your primer! I read it all today. I am still a bit overwhelmed on what I should or should not eat.
jenlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenlynn »

Oh and I do have a question. If I want to get a blood test to check biomarkers what is the best one?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

There are several tests Jen as detailed in my primer. Do you mean which lab or which tests?
I dunno USA labs but I think they are all accredited.
Bloods as listed in my primer towards the end.
Start with Hba1c, B12, homocysteine, D3, lipids, TSH, CRP, fasting insulin. Possibly zinc copper ratio. Possibly advanced lipids. Just a start. You can add others later.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Jen, also, start with real food - home cooked veggies, fish, salad, nuts, fruit, bit of grass fed beef or pastured chicken if its in your budget. Stop eating food in boxes.