Extensive Test Results from Cleveland Heart Lab: Dec. 2016

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Extensive Test Results from Cleveland Heart Lab: Dec. 2016

Post by Greenie »

It sounds like more of a protein than fat issue for the man in the video. Most plant based protein have far more Arginine (conditionally essential amino acid) than Lysine which is an essential amino acid. Those two amino acids can compete for entrance into the body. It sounds like he was anemic which is what essential amino acid deficiency can cause. I believe that we do need some animal protein sources (occasional egg or salmon even grass fed beef) to keep us in balance. The anemia itself can greatly limit metabolism and lipid levels. I wouldn't say that animal fat is what helped him, as much as I would say that a balanced and complete protein intake helped. His LDL might have gone down from a return of his metabolism from protein, where as APOE 4 LDL might increase from the increased animal fat. Moderation on everything is key. I am a firm believer in monitoring our daily calorie count and keeping it on the low side (at least while we are young). I use "My Fitness Pal" to keep track of my calories and macro intake. Make your diet change and be faithful for a few months and see how your blood work and body respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Greenie wrote: I am a firm believer in monitoring our daily calorie count and keeping it on the low side (at least while we are young). I use "My Fitness Pal" to keep track of my calories and macro intake. Make your diet change and be faithful for a few months and see how your blood work and body respond.
Using Cronometer... it is amazing how much less crap I eat while I am tracking! It does make me a mindful eater!

Feeling pretty good.. keeping sat fat under 20 g (used to be close to 80% due to dairy) and macros around 75 fat, 15 protein and 10 carbs. Eating a ton more leafy greens... next hurdle kimchi. My ketones were 1.1 and my blood glucose was 80 last check.

Will go back in a few months for a whole new set of labs.
ε4/ε4
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greenie »

I love kimchi. Oddly enough I love it with Salmon (Kimchi and fish are two things I absolutely hated in the past). I like Wild Planet brand Alaskan Salmon if you are looking for a easy canned Salmon. They use a BPA free can and use sustainably caught wild fish. I get it at Sprouts, but I've seen it elsewhere. I have been trending around 50%fat/30%carb/20%protein at around 2100 calories per day. I tried to go lower carb than that, but it seemed to make me feel off and unable to exercise as much. I average about 15g sat fat per day. I have roughly 2 teaspoons on red palm oil, 1TBS olive oil, and 1 TBS Thrive oil per day plus flax/mixed nuts/chia etc. It's so hard to balance enjoyment of food and life with health. It's also hard when there exists so many varied studies and results, SF being at the heart of a lot of the controversy. For all I know, what I am doing is totally wrong, I might get a clue when I get blood work done again. Giving up coffee cream, yogurt, and pizza were definitely the hardest changes for me. I allow myself cream in my coffee every Saturday as a reward. I feel better with more energy and endurance now, but if someone told me I had a week left to live, it would definitely be a week filled with pizza!

ERK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ERK »

I just signed up for cronometer- today it tracked me at 22% protein, 37% fat and 41% carbs. It was a higher carb(purple Okinawan potato and broccoli and blueberries) day for sure. Fat came from half of an avocado/salmon and protein from a 3 ounce piece of wild salmon. 1410 calories for the day.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Greenie wrote:I love kimchi. Oddly enough I love it with Salmon (Kimchi and fish are two things I absolutely hated in the past). I like Wild Planet brand Alaskan Salmon if you are looking for a easy canned Salmon. They use a BPA free can and use sustainably caught wild fish. I get it at Sprouts, but I've seen it elsewhere. I have been trending around 50%fat/30%carb/20%protein at around 2100 calories per day. I tried to go lower carb than that, but it seemed to make me feel off and unable to exercise as much. I average about 15g sat fat per day. I have roughly 2 teaspoons on red palm oil, 1TBS olive oil, and 1 TBS Thrive oil per day plus flax/mixed nuts/chia etc. It's so hard to balance enjoyment of food and life with health. It's also hard when there exists so many varied studies and results, SF being at the heart of a lot of the controversy. For all I know, what I am doing is totally wrong, I might get a clue when I get blood work done again. Giving up coffee cream, yogurt, and pizza were definitely the hardest changes for me. I allow myself cream in my coffee every Saturday as a reward. I feel better with more energy and endurance now, but if someone told me I had a week left to live, it would definitely be a week filled with pizza!
Yes I have wild planet in my pantry. At this point I've purchased several different brands and don't remember which one is my favorite. Have you had any issues with struvite crystals in your salmon? I wish they could do something about that it kind of grosses me out. Are used a cheaper brand from Costco and didn't find any of the crystals in it. Go figure.

Hey that's a good idea. I will keep my cream for once a week. Sounds like you're eating really well and healthy. I've heard about red palm oil but haven't researched it yet. I've never heard of Thrive.
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

ERK wrote:I just signed up for cronometer- today it tracked me at 22% protein, 37% fat and 41% carbs. It was a higher carb(purple Okinawan potato and broccoli and blueberries) day for sure. Fat came from half of an avocado/salmon and protein from a 3 ounce piece of wild salmon. 1410 calories for the day.
Yep, that potato will raise your carb level for sure. You have some beautiful whole foods with lots of different colors. Nicely done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ε4/ε4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

ERK wrote:I just signed up for cronometer- today it tracked me at 22% protein, 37% fat and 41% carbs. It was a higher carb(purple Okinawan potato and broccoli and blueberries) day for sure. Fat came from half of an avocado/salmon and protein from a 3 ounce piece of wild salmon. 1410 calories for the day.
Wow, 1410kcal? I'm at 2860kcal for today. At 41% carbs / 22% protein, that's 145g carb and 78g of protein. At a comparable energy expenditure and that same intake of carbs and protein, that would be a 69% fat macro / 20% carb macro / 11% protein macro, which isn't too far away from low-carb / high-fat diet. Are you losing weight, such that you're running on body fat (saturated?) ?
ERK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ERK »

apod wrote:
Wow, 1410kcal? I'm at 2860kcal for today. At 41% carbs / 22% protein, that's 145g carb and 78g of protein. At a comparable energy expenditure and that same intake of carbs and protein, that would be a 69% fat macro / 20% carb macro / 11% protein macro, which isn't too far away from low-carb / high-fat diet. Are you losing weight, such that you're running on body fat (saturated?) ?

hopefully I am as I did lose 20 pounds in past 2-3 months and have 10 more to go before I get to my normal weight (I gained a ton of weight my last pregnancy and while I am considered "normal weight" now I still have those remaining 10 to go).
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greenie »

I've never had struvite crystals in the Wild Planet brand. That's the only brand I've ever tried. Red Palm oil is great, it has a good blend of SF and some MUFA. It is also a great source of Vitamin A and E, which are both better absorbed with the fat. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065441/
This is just one of many articles on the neuro-protective benefits of tocotrienols, a type of vitamin E found predominantly in red palm oil (not to be confused with the processed palm oil used in other food items). I like the Thrive Algae oil because it is almost 100% MUFA and has a higher smoke point than Olive oil, making it great for cooking veggies. My goal as an APOE4/4 is going to be to live on the lower spectrum of caloric intake (at least while I am still relatively young). My percentage of macro intake makes little difference if I consume too many calories. I could easily skew my numbers to show 60% fat intake if I took 3 tablespoons of olive oil right now, but to what end? My ratio might look good, but I've overloaded my bodies ability to process and transport the fat. Good luck with your changes, you will get used to it and even start to enjoy some of it.

LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

"Greenie"I've never had struvite crystals in the Wild Planet brand. That's the only brand I've ever tried. Red Palm oil is great, it has a good blend of SF and some MUFA. It is also a great source of Vitamin A and E, which are both better absorbed with the fat. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065441/
This is just one of many articles on the neuro-protective benefits of tocotrienols, a type of vitamin E found predominantly in red palm oil (not to be confused with the processed palm oil used in other food items). I like the Thrive Algae oil because it is almost 100% MUFA and has a higher smoke point than Olive oil, making it great for cooking veggies. My goal as an APOE4/4 is going to be to live on the lower spectrum of caloric intake (at least while I am still relatively young). My percentage of macro intake makes little difference if I consume too many calories. I could easily skew my numbers to show 60% fat intake if I took 3 tablespoons of olive oil right now, but to what end? My ratio might look good, but I've overloaded my bodies ability to process and transport the fat. Good luck with your changes, you will get used to it and even start to enjoy some of it.
Thanks. I know I've heard things about red palm oil but never really looked into it before now. I'll have a look at the ncbi study you referenced. Have definitely not heard of Thrive algae oil! Interesting.

In my experiment I am aiming for both low cal and keeping my macros keto friendly as well as my sat fat ratio down... in a few months I'll know what impact if any this change has had. Tracking with cronometer a huge help.

I have bought 2 cans of Wild Planet salmon and will give it a try.
ε4/ε4