New to site / beginning the journey

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Monroe
New User
New User

New to site / beginning the journey

Post by Monroe »

Hi -- I recently found that I am a 3/4 and I've been having memory issues. 55, twin 15 year olds, work full time, single mom. I just started working with Dr. Ann Hathaway, so I'm feeling pretty positive about being in good hands.

I'm getting ready to start a ketogenic diet, but am trying to figure out where on this site there is specific info about that? My sister told me that there was a forum about it -- and that depending on how you prepare certain foods, they can spike your blood sugar -- I'm trying to find out that info, as well as anything more about it.

I already eliminated grains and sugars from my diet 2 years ago, but I've had my "cheats" like Grain Free bagels and Pizza. Sorry to see them go. I have a high risk for insulin resistance, so also am to eliminate fruits. bummer! Anyway, any information you can point me to in order to understand how to eat a ketogenic diet would be much appreciated.

:)
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New to site / beginning the journey

Post by KatieS »

Welcome Monroe. I noticed that your doctor, Dr. Ann Hathaway, is presenting at the Dynamic Brain Conference described in this thread.. We'd love to hear how your postmenopausal treatment is going. Are you considering attending the conference?
Are you having memory problems that have been cognitively tested vs the stress of rearing teenaged twins while working (which would overwhelm me)
As to insulin resistance, have you tested your 3-month glucose (A1c) ? Many of us test our glucose spike after eating certain foods and have found that low glycemic fruits like berries or small portions of non-gluten grains to not cause much rise. Personally, I prefer to have this feedback with dietary changes.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Monroe! You ARE in very good hands with Dr. Hathaway. I've had the pleasure of meeting her at the past several MPI Cognition trainings. I'm embarrassed to say, that we don't have a thread devoted to "how-to" implement a ketogenic diet despite the fact that it's one of the most often asked questions I get from carriers and practitioners alike. Here's a portion of a power point from a talk that I recently gave at the last MPI Cognition training that goes through my version of Dr. Bredesen's protocol and provides some basic information about implementing a Mediterranean-style ketogenic diet. This may help to get you started. I hope others will chime in with additional suggestions.
Experiencing the protocol.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Julie this is great! May I add it to the primer please?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Juliegee wrote:Here's a portion of a power point from a talk that I recently gave at the last MPI Cognition training that goes through my version of Dr. Bredesen's protocol and provides some basic information about implementing a Mediterranean-style ketogenic diet. ... I hope others will chime in with additional suggestions.
Julie,
Lovely, thank you so much for sharing!

I like to challenge myself when going for walks too. I do this by trying to engage with nature. I prefer to walk in parks or open spaces and if I hear a bird I try to identify it by its call or if I see a bird I try to identify it. It’s AMAZING the wide variety of species. I also try to identify the wildflowers by sight. This keeps my brain engaged, puts me more in touch with the change of seasons, and makes me feel more connected with nature. That's how I do it.

And something to be aware of, chocolate doesn’t affect me, but when George would eat chocolate late in the day, which is the only time he eats, it affects his sleep, and we all know how important sleep is, something to maybe caution people to be aware of.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Theresa, if I have more than a couple squares of dark choc late, I also can't sleep. ? The caffeine?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Stavia,
Forgive my spelling if I err, away fm computer. Chocolate answer is theolifin or theobromine.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Stavia,
Forgive my spelling if I err, away fm computer. Chocolate answer is theolifin or theobromine.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Omg chocolate has theophylline in? Wow didn't know. No wonder it hypes me.
The other one is theobromine.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Yep, I'm very sensitive. Even 4 or 5 hours before bedtime, unless I keep it tiny. I've forgotten whether it is theophylline or theobromine, but I recall that one has a pretty long half life.
Tincup
E3,E4