Shikar's Story

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Thirties Child
Contributor
Contributor

Shikar's Story

Post by Thirties Child »

My husband is Shikar on 23andMe. He's 3/4, 76, and didn't win the genetic lottery. He's basically lean, arms and legs thin, a very small gut. He's diabetic, has had high blood pressure since his mid-30s, has a damaged kidney that caused the high blood pressure (not the other way around), takes Crestor for his cholesterol, which has always been high. He was first warned about his triglycerides 40 years ago. He has a platelet disorder that causes extensive delayed bleeding, so has to be careful of anything that might thin his blood and has to avoid any medication that is hard on the kidneys. His diet has always been, still is, very sugary. Our diet, except for his sweets, is pretty much low-fat because I don't tolerate fats well. His exercise is yard work, cutting the grass, trimming the hedges, etc.

We are both aware that his short-term memory isn't good, but the higher brain functions are intact - his reasoning ability is excellent, he still has that dry sense of humor, and I'm still awed by his gift for writing. His strength has always been his creativity and he's never had a particularly good memory. He doesn't worry about his APOE status because numbers have never meant anything to him - he's right-brained.

This will probably be my only post but I wanted to introduce another 3/4. I will continue my 23 lurking, learning mode.
And congratulations on this site. As I said on the APOE Express, I think you all earned Sainthood Points when you set this up. Thank you.
lol
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Shikar's Story

Post by lol »

I hope your husband doesn't read your post, Shikar. At least you mentioned that he only has ... just a small gut.
And his 3/4 status doesn't bother him because he is not good with numbers. :lol: Maybe that is a good thing!
I hope you keep posting, making us smile. :D
lol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lol »

Wait. Thirties Child. Your husband is Shikar. Got to remember that. :oops:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Me too...For some reason, I mistakenly thought that Shikar was your son. Regardless, you are wonderful to be learning on his behalf.

You are delightful, Shikar's wife :D I hope you decide to pop in often for a visit and to give us progress reports on your sweet hubby.