Greetings from Mexico

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings from Mexico

Post by vermillion »

Hola!

Before I start, please let me say that this is an astonishing group! What you all know is humbling and rather mind-blowing.
I have been lurking here for a week and appreciate the opportunity to say hello.

I recently discovered I am APOE 4/4. 23andme, yada yada. I knew it was a risk when I opted for the health information, but I sorta thought it would be better news (understatement).

Yet, I am one of those who is very glad to know.
I am a 58 year old woman, and I feel optimistic that if my number comes up, I will at least be able to slow the progression. Apparently I have a gene for optimism too, woot woot.

But I could use a pep talk.

I am optimistic because my BMI is 23, could be lower but I am working on that. I exercise 3-4 days a week at the gym, and in my town we walk everywhere.

I eat well, I have not eaten processed foods in years, and have been blessed to be able to have organic, fresh fruits and vegetables available as well as pastured grass fed meats and poultry, the latter of which I eat at a minimum. I used to have my own little farm and apiary, which was such a blessing!

I eat lots of fish and vegetables, though I have avoided spinach and some greens due to kidney stones, but that problem seems to have been corrected through surgery. I am eating more spinach after getting an all clear in the kidneys through an ultrasound here in Mexico.

Family history is not bad....My half sister (same father) passed away six years ago after six years of dementia. She had type 2 diabetes and had had two open heart surgeries to correct a congenital heart defect. Her diet was good, she was a fastidious eater and loved to swim. But, things happen....she passed from kidney failure, still aware of her surroundings, and recognizing her immediate family.

When she began showing symptoms much of the family began changing their lifestyles toward a plan of preventing dementia and heart disease. So, twelve years of awareness preceeded this 4/4 discovery for me.

In addition, my family is involved with a foundation promoting brain healing following concussion and TBI, aimed at athletes. My sister's grandson, my grandnephew, suffered second-hit syndrome in college, and that was the impetus for the foundation and a continued awareness of brain care for our family.

My most recent work in the US was in disaster preparedness, among other things, and for that I am grateful, since I have some kind of roadmap to go forward. Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best....

I left the US for Mexico a year and a half ago, and am still blessed to be able to eat well, exercise often, and have a partner who takes amazing care of both of us. We start each day with a fist full of supplements and most days that is followed by a trip to the gym. We drink red wine but only a glass, and we eat an astonishing amount of fish and vegetables. I have no chronic issues, pains, aches. Learning Spanish, have a good social life, life is good. It hasn't always been, but now it is. Gratitude is a big thing for me.....

I do tend toward anxiety and have had panic attacks in the past. I have been working on adrenal fatigue and I have begun taking Magtein, which seems to have done wonders for me; I am sleeping better and even if I wake up, I go back to sleep promptly and my racing thoughts have slowed quite remarkably.

More family history....My mother passed last year at 98, no symptoms of dementia, and my father had some slight behavioral changes before he passed at 88, but he was a lifelong dedicated smoker till the bitter end, dammit. My feisty brother is 74 and just walked 220 miles of the Camino del Santiago de Campostela, mentally he is still 30...there is no dementia anywhere else in my family thus far. My sister, 71, is not fit, she has diabetes and eats very poorly (potato chips and coke...who knew that was a breakfast food....) nonetheless, she has no signs of cognitive decline.

Other than HIGH CHOLESTEROL (279), I have no real issues in my recent bloodwork. My total cholesterol has been as high as 399, so I feel like I am winning this battle, albeit slowly. I have not been on statins other than a three month stint several years ago. My doctors here in Mexico are monitoring this and I am slowly dropping down in 20-30 point intervals and I am satisfied with this..... My vitamin D was in the tank a few years ago and now I am at 36 and hoping to get that up as well. I am now taking 5000iu daily, I was a bit sporadic with this until a year ago. I take K3 as well. Folate, B vitamins, 1000mg C, magnesium citrate, passionflower extract, vitamin E....a few other things, and of course Omega-3. I know now that I should add a more concetrated DHL because I also have a gene ping for Macular degeneration (which oddly doesnt sound too bad by comparison)....so I am adjusting some things.

Ugh....I wrote a lot and I am grateful for a place to do that. My normal support system is a little shrunken for 4/4, because I am not ready to share with my daughter, or other family who are usually my go-to gals for big stuff like this. In time, yes, but not now.

Truth: I am writing all of this because I want someone to say my outcome looks good.

And I am also hoping to learn what I can do better.
I am grateful to anyone who has read this far, and I cannot say how much I admire all of you who are in this canoe.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Greetings from Mexico

Post by SusanJ »

Hi vermillion, welcome, and those many years of changing your diet and lifestyle suggests that you are in a great position to have a reduced risk. So wonderful that your family has a foundation for TBI - it is another risk factor for us.

Your attitude will serve you well!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Welcome, vermillion ...

I'm extremely impressed with all that you are doing to care for your health! Since you've looked around the site for a bit, you may have already discovered the Primer: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 It was written by Stavia, a physician member of the site, and has layers and layers of knowledge within it. From the points of information you posted, I can see you have paid careful attention to your present and future health - physical and cognitive. You'll find terrific support from everyone on this forum, and as far as a pep talk - woot woot already! (Your optimism gene shines through.)

Welcome again!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

oh gosh, that is so kind of you Jan and Susan!

I have a lot more to do, for sure.
There is a lot of confusing information out there, and sometimes it is overwhelming. I am slogging through the best I can and I appreciate everyone here who is so willing to hold the light for newbies to find their way.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hello Vermillion, good for you with your BMI of 23, healthful diet and voluntary exercise. You are so fortunate to be doing so many beneficial things already. Gratitude and good family relationships, that you mentioned, are all things that keep us in better health. It is encouraging that your cholesterol is dropping. Jan mentioned Stavia's primer. It is such a wonderful resource that has been of great benefit to all of us. Welcome!
Starfish E4/E4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hola and welcome vermillion, I'm so glad you found your way here! I'm also a 4/4 and really enjoyed reading your post; such an interesting story. Love your positive attitude and am so impressed with your optimistic approach to life when it throws you a "little" curve ball. I can tell you I didn't take the news several years ago nearly as well as you have. I'm in awe. It does sound like you've been practicing a healthy lifestyle for some time, so that is a definite plus as you already know. I understand the hesitation to share your E4 news with family before you're ready, and believe you will find some of the support you're looking for here. I know I have!

As you wade thru our site Primer referenced earlier, please feel free to ask questions as they come up. There is so much knowledge and experience in our growing community. Looking forward to hearing from you on the forums, vermillion. All the best...Lucy
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

Lucy5 wrote:Hola and welcome vermillion, I'm so glad you found your way here! I'm also a 4/4 and really enjoyed reading your post; such an interesting story. Love your positive attitude and am so impressed with your optimistic approach to life when it throws you a "little" curve ball. I can tell you I didn't take the news several years ago nearly as well as you have. I'm in awe. It does sound like you've been practicing a healthy lifestyle for some time, so that is a definite plus as you already know. I understand the hesitation to share your E4 news with family before you're ready, and believe you will find some of the support you're looking for here. I know I have!

As you wade thru our site Primer referenced earlier, please feel free to ask questions as they come up. There is so much knowledge and experience in our growing community. Looking forward to hearing from you on the forums, vermillion. All the best...Lucy
Starfish77 wrote:Hello Vermillion, good for you with your BMI of 23, healthful diet and voluntary exercise. You are so fortunate to be doing so many beneficial things already. Gratitude and good family relationships, that you mentioned, are all things that keep us in better health. It is encouraging that your cholesterol is dropping. Jan mentioned Stavia's primer. It is such a wonderful resource that has been of great benefit to all of us. Welcome!
Starfish E4/E4
Thank you both. I have been going over Stavia's amazing primer, and have made a list of blood tests to add to the next panel, and also supplements to order. We cannot ship these things directly to Mexico, and there is only limited availability here, so that in itself is a big planning chore. Gosh, they really add up!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Bienvenidos, Vermillion,
vermillion wrote: Thank you both. I have been going over Stavia's amazing primer, and have made a list of blood tests to add to the next panel, and also supplements to order. We cannot ship these things directly to Mexico, and there is only limited availability here, so that in itself is a big planning chore. Gosh, they really add up!
After reading your last post I checked iHerb.com, which is where I buy many of my supplements. They shipped directly to me in Argentina several years ago and Mexico is listed in the countries they ship to, so that might be worth exploring. if you go to their website you can look at the little flag in the upper left of their window which drops down a menu of countries they'll ship to, which looks to be about everyplace in the world. don't know what shipping costs to Mexico are, but you can get to the point where they give you shipping options and pricing without placing the order. Might be worthwhile if you are wanting supplements which are unavailable to you there.

¡Y que bueno que está aprendiendo español! Aprendiendo un idioma nuevo es uno de los mejores ejercicios para su mente. Podría ser un factór en el mantenimiento de su función cognitiva. Buenísima.

Hasta luego,
floramaría
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

floramaria wrote:Bienvenidos, Vermillion,
vermillion wrote: Thank you both. I have been going over Stavia's amazing primer, and have made a list of blood tests to add to the next panel, and also supplements to order. We cannot ship these things directly to Mexico, and there is only limited availability here, so that in itself is a big planning chore. Gosh, they really add up!
After reading your last post I checked iHerb.com, which is where I buy many of my supplements. They shipped directly to me in Argentina several years ago and Mexico is listed in the countries they ship to, so that might be worth exploring. if you go to their website you can look at the little flag in the upper left of their window which drops down a menu of countries they'll ship to, which looks to be about everyplace in the world. don't know what shipping costs to Mexico are, but you can get to the point where they give you shipping options and pricing without placing the order. Might be worthwhile if you are wanting supplements which are unavailable to you there.

¡Y que bueno que está aprendiendo español! Aprendiendo un idioma nuevo es uno de los mejores ejercicios para su mente. Podría ser un factór en el mantenimiento de su función cognitiva. Buenísima.

Hasta luego,
floramaría
Que padre!! Muchísimas gracias!
I am going to see what I can get from iHerb, thats super advice!

My spanish, coming along slowly. I did just start a photo class, and to be honest I am one of those people who has always taken lots of classes in my (unfulfilled) desire to be a true Renaissance Woman. I always felt guilty that I did not always "do something" with this knowledge, but now I see that I have been working my synapses, so I am feeling pretty good about all the stuff I know and never knew what to do with. :P