Interventions had OPPOSITE impact on lab results!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
jcosmo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Interventions had OPPOSITE impact on lab results!

Post by jcosmo »

I GOT MY LAB RESULTS!!! While I didn't get the HDL boost I was expecting, I didn't get the large rise in LDL that I was dreading. Though HDL dropped more than LDL did :(

Fortunately, a few other things went down as well: LDL-P, trigs, SMALL LDL-P, LP-IR score, HgbA1c, and fasting insulin!

A1c was actually flagged as low, LOL. I didn't expect it would be lower, since I've recently increased my net carb limit. I find I can consume 25-35 grams daily and still stay in ketosis. The extra carbs come mainly from red bell pepper and Brussels sprouts.

The other lab components:

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 44.4 (RR: 30.0 - 100.0 ng/mL)
Ceruloplasmin: 20.2 (RR: 16.0 - 31.0 mg/dL)
Copper, serum: 82 (RR: 72 - 166 ug/dL)
Zinc, serum: 82 (RR: 56 - 134 ug/dL)

I work long hours and don't get much time in the sun, so I'll be increasing my vitamin D supplementation. Dr. Bredesen wants copper and zinc to be in the 90-110 range, so I'm not too far below it... does anyone know how much of each I should take, based on my current level? (I don't eat meat.)

I'm also wondering where to go from here. There were more good changes than bad changes this time. Should I keep doing what I'm doing, hope the good keeps getting better and the bad doesn't get worse? Should I try to turn my HDL around? I kind of feel like I'm shooting in the dark, since any change I make could potentially have an effect that runs counter to my expectations.

A summary of what changed since the last round of testing:
  • Added coconut oil back into diet.
    Stopped drinking any kind of alcohol.
    Very strict IF: minimum of 16/8, aiming mostly for 18/6 (and often managing to fit everything into a 2-5 hour window).
    2 cups coffee w/6g guar gum fiber in each right before the highest-fat meals or foods.
    6g inulin in a 3rd cup of coffee on most days.
    Aimed for 1400-1500 daily average kcal, trying not to go too low.
    Tried to limit dairy to 2 oz sheep's milk feta daily and up to 1 tbsp butter 3-5 days/wk.
    Started taking ashwagandha and a daily brazil nut (selenium) for thyroid support.
    Increased net carbs from 20 gm or less to 25-40 gm/day.
Could this account for lower HDL? I somehow injured my right thumb/palm and have had to avoid putting my weight on the palm, gripping things tightly with that hand, or pressing the palm/thumb against another surface. So push-ups and pull-ups have been out of the picture for the past 2 weeks, and I've been less active in general. When I have spare time, catching up on sleep often takes priority - one of the joys of having a diabetic cat.
Adrian, 3/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Interventions had OPPOSITE impact on lab results!

Post by Julie G »

Overall, things are trending in the right direction! This is a HUGE improvement for you. Happy dance!!! FWIW, my HDL-P also dropped with guar gum... not sure what to make of that. I question the necessity of coconut oil unless you love it? I use it occasionally for cooking, but otherwise avoid it. Did you abstain a few days before lipid testing? Your fasting insulin is a bit high, given your excellent HbA1c and I wish your small LDL-P were lower, but this is still a huge improvement. Keep up the great work, my friend.