Blood Work Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Shhhlevy
Contributor
Contributor

Blood Work Results

Post by Shhhlevy »

Hi All,

I recently found out I'm 3/4. Since then, I found this forum and bought Dr. Bredesen's book. Before I got my blood work results, I had been taking 15 mg methylfolate for depression issues as recommended by my doctor (I guess that's why my folate levels are so high). After I got my bloodwork (see below), I started taking 1000 mcg Methylcobalamin B12; 20 mg P5P, high DHA omega 3, 2 x 2000 IU of D3, 200 mg vitamin K. Is there anything else I should be taking? Can I do anything to lower my TSH? What do you all think of my plan? Thanks very much in advance, Scott

CRP - .3
Vit D - 17
B12 - 346
Folate - greater than 20
Homocysteine - 9.1
Hba1c - 5.2
T3 total - 99
T4 free - 1.04
TSH - 3.8
Fasting Glucose - 92
A/G ratio - 2.1
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Blood Work Results

Post by SusanJ »

Shhhlevy wrote:What do you all think of my plan?

Welcome! Pretty decent results, and good strategy on supplements. Homocysteine reacts pretty quickly to supplementation, so do a month and retest to see if B12 ad P5P help. Good to see you're upping your vitamin D, also.

Not a thyroid expert, so hope someone else weighs in there.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good for you for quantifying your numbers. I agree with Susan that you're on a good plan moving forward. Your Vitamin D was shockingly low, same with B12- which is also correlated with depression.

Re. the thyroid, I'm curious how you're feeling. Are you easily cold? How's your energy level? My TSH was also creeping up, so I began increasing iodine intake which didn't help AND increased my Hashimoto's thyroid autoantibodies for the first time :?. You could try that, but beware of negative side effect I experienced. I eventually began taking a tiny dose of WP thyroid (1/4 grain of 65mg b.i.d.) and feel much better. A side effect of improved thyroid function is better LDL clearance as LDL-receptors are upregulated. I'm not sure what your lipids look like, but that may be something to keep in mind.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi Scott;

Disclaimer - I am not a thyroid expert.

Dr Bredesen talks about optimizing thyroid in his book, but doesn't go into how to do so. Per his recommendations, your TSH shows low activity despite being in the lab's "normal range", and free T4 is on the low side. Dr B recommends free T3 over total, as well as reverse T3. Not sure that getting these 2 tests are the top priorities for you at this time. I've attached a "functional medicine" approach to thyroid health; it is just a starting point. Correcting your vit B levels may help; you are already working on this. You may want to test iodine, zinc, and selenium levels next time to see if they are where they should be. I don't recommend supplementing until you know! And of course, try to manage any stress that you may have. :?

It's a bit of work to sift through, but if interested, you can search the site for "thyroid" or "TSH" by clicking on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner to pick up on other thyroid related conversations. Other members on our site are actively involved with improving their thyroid health.
Thyroid Health Dr Childs.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker
E4/E4
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Selenium can help with thyroid issues. Iodine may help you, it's worth a try. Also, avoiding raw broccoli and similar goitrogen containing veggies (artichokes, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale). I know these are very healthful foods so I eat them anyway, steamed, which removes at least some or most of the goitrogen (I'm hypothyroid). These vegetables prevent cancer, are great forms of fiber and have many benefits. Perhaps you could see an endocrinologist and ask about taking a small dose of levothyroxine. That is what I take, but at 75 mcg. Pretty high dose.
Shhhlevy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shhhlevy »

Julie G wrote:Good for you for quantifying your numbers. I agree with Susan that you're on a good plan moving forward. Your Vitamin D was shockingly low, same with B12- which is also correlated with depression.
I know!! Hoping the 2 x 2000 D3 helps! I don't get much sun here in NYC.
Shhhlevy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shhhlevy »

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Shhhlevy wrote: Can I do anything to lower my TSH? TSH - 3.8
Hi Shhhlevy,

My TSH was higher than yours, at 4.5. My doctor has prescribed Np Thyroid 30 Mg once daily.
I asked him if this means I will have to take this medication forever, and his response was that he has seen
the TSH fall back in line and stay there after short term correction. That is what I am hoping for! We are re-testing after 3 months
and if numbers look good , the plan is to discontinue the meds and see if numbers hold.
I don't notice that I feel any different taking this.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health